Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Portland Airport/Cascade Station REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place Portland Airport/Cascade Station REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:36 pm

Any one else notice that over the summer there's a two day minimum if you want to stay a Saturday night?

At an airport hotel?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Any one else notice that over the summer there's a two day minimum if you want to stay a Saturday night?

At an airport hotel?
I noticed that too! Every single Saturday night over the summer requires you to pay the Guaranteed Availability rate..which at $219.00 per night, is WAY too high for this property! Especially considering its location.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 6:28 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by carnalismocc
I noticed that too! Every single Saturday night over the summer requires you to pay the Guaranteed Availability rate..which at $219.00 per night, is WAY too high for this property! Especially considering its location.
Wow, that's ridiculous. At that rate, you can get much better hotels for that price; HR Century Plaza, HR Tokyo, HR Tsim Sha Tsui, GH Bangkok, just to name a few.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Then vote with your feet... If they don't sell at these rates they will lower them, otherwise they will have proven that it wasn't ridiculous.

Ever consider the revenue manager knows how to perform his job? And the rate mentioned is a "special" rate to be booked by GP status members when the normal rates are not available. So in this case it's a way to bypass the two night minimum on the weekend. Normal rates here are in the $170 range.

And hotel rates are also based on location, so a comparison with other cities or countries is irrelevant, unless you don't care where you will be staying :-).

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 19, 2014 at 11:03 am
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jesperss
At an airport hotel?
But it's quite easy to travel to downtown. So I would guess that with the free parking and the shopping area, that they attract quite a lot of leisure customers over the weekend and can get away with that 2night minimum.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
Then vote with your feet... If they don't sell at these rates they will lower them, otherwise they will have proven that it wasn't ridiculous.

Ever consider the revenue manager knows how to perform his job? And the rate mentioned is a "special" rate to be booked by GP status members when the normal rates are not available. So in this case it's a way to bypass the two night minimum on the weekend. Normal rates here are in the $170 range.

And hotel rates are also based on location, so a comparison with other cities or countries is irrelevant, unless you don't care where you will be staying :-).
I stay at this particular property 5-6 times per year for work/leisure, and without any codes, always book anywhere from as low as $80, to as high as $149. I can understand summer rates being higher (like at many other properties,) but the 2-night minimum does seem kind of lame. But yeah, I'm sure that revenue manager knows what he or she is doing. Doesn't mean we have to like it! LOL!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carnalismocc
Doesn't mean we have to like it! LOL!
That's for sure.... but if you are a "regular guest" and you really want to stay one night I would contact the hotel directly, they might accommodate you.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
That's for sure.... but if you are a "regular guest" and you really want to stay one night I would contact the hotel directly, they might accommodate you.
Yeah, that's true. But as of now, no need for any Saturday night-only stays for me at this property until September, and it looks like the 2-night minimum only runs through the end of August.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
Happy Hour

Just had a two-night stay here. They now have a real Happy Hour, the first I've ever seen at a Hyatt Place,
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by NJTraveler
Just had a two-night stay here. They now have a real Happy Hour, the first I've ever seen at a Hyatt Place,
It's Portland. I would expect nothing less .
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Just got back from a three-night stay over a long weekend. The property is very close to the airport. They have a 24-hour shuttle to and from PDX, but upon arriving at around 1:30 AM (4:30 AM our time), that wasn't the quickest option. The MAX light rail does go there as well, but it wasn't running that late at night.

We hopped in a cab, and at first, the cabbie refused to take us to Cascade Station and insisted we wait for the shuttle. I told him that if he didn't take us, we'd find a cab that would, and after lots of arguing, he agreed to take us for "$25 flat fee." Screw that, I told him, and when he dropped us off at the HP, I paid what was on the meter (about $10-11).

The location is ok, two blocks from the Cascades MAX station; the Aloft is only about one block away if that makes a difference. Cascade Station is a boring, corporate development that seems out of place in Portland. There is a Target, Best Buy, Ikea, Red Robin, IHOP, Famous Dave's, and several other stores within walking distance of the HP. The ride into downtown on the train is about 25 minutes.

Checked in very late with no Diamond recognition whatsoever (meh, I don't really expect a whole lot at an HP). However, we did have two separate reservations (the first two nights on a My Elite Rate and the last night on Points & Cash; I could only get the Sunday night on P&C so had to do the reservation that way). The (pretty clueless) FDC told me that he was unable to merge the reservations, and that we would have to check out on Sunday morning and possibly move rooms. We were too tired to argue and went straight to bed.

The next morning, talked to a new FDC who actually had some idea what she was doing, and she merged the rooms for me. She was surprised that we were told we might have to move if the hotel was booked solid Sunday night. I asked her why in the world they would consider moving a Diamond in the middle of his/her stay, especially at an HP where all the rooms were the same. She didn't really have an answer, and she insisted everything would be ok, but upon getting back late Sunday night, our keys didn't work anymore (of course), and we had to be re-keyed, a minor annoyance.

The rooms were standard for HP, although since this is a new build and not a coverted Amerisuites, they were pretty nice, especially the walk-in tile shower (I can't stand the tired tub/shower combos at older HPs). One of the comfiest beds I've encountered at an HP as well.

Although we were in a corner room at the end of a hall, the noise was pretty loud. The first night we were awakened at 3:00 something in the morning by a truck unloading the Buffalo Wild Wings dumpster under our window. The last night I woke up two separate times, the first by a woman screaming bloody murder outside the door, and a second by a dog barking in the hall?!

Breakfast was standard and very crowded on Sat. and Sun. mornings but deserted on Monday. The famous sandwiches appeared only on Monday. Other than the minor hiccup with the rooms and the noise, this was a solid HP stay. I would say that I'd return, but that's not really a ringing endorsement, as this is the only Hyatt property in Oregon.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Jan 16, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Diamond
I stay at the Hyatt Place Portland at least once a month. Usually on the weekend.

I've stayed at most of the other 3 star hotels in Portland/Beaverton OR(Courtyard Marriott, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express) and I would say Hyatt Place is superior in terms of quality, comfort, and overall experience.

The Hyatt Place traditional breakfast is available as always and the room's are large and beds are comfortable. Sadly, my favorite little Hyatt Place Breakfast Sandwiches have disappeared.

There has been constant turnover in staff, the service was much better in Q4 2014 versus now. Right now the service is very mediocre and also Diamond recognition(not expected but preferred) does not exist. There are consistent errors with the Folio at checkout, and points are not correctly reflected(Diamond 500 Bonus) so I am having to check back with my GP account to ensure that I am credited the right amount of points.

Relative to other Hyatt Place locations that I have stayed at, Hyatt Place PDX has a lot of families traveling with young children. Weekends, unless you are lucky to get a "quiet room" which is usually the furthest away from the elevator, sleeping past 9am is a blessing. Often, there are children running around, parents leaving the latch open so kids can get in/out, and the walls seem extremely thin. I have never had a problem with "Airport" noise.

Location is good. Airport Shuttle(Not on time-table but at request) is decent. Last time I requested a shuttle, I waited about 15 minutes as another party was 5 minutes late getting ready to take off to the airport. The Hyatt Place shuttle seemed to be in much better shape than most of the other hotel brand shuttles when I observed at the airport.....=)

There is a great selection of restaurants nearby, and having the fanciest Target I have even seen in my life nearby makes it convenient for getting basic necessities.

Requesting 4PM checkout has never been a problem, even when the hotel is sold-out they accommodate this request.

Portland Downtown is only 15 minutes way. You can pretty much get to most of Portland Metro within 30 minutes.

Although there are some things that bother me about this Hyatt Place, in the $99-$149 price range, this is the cleanest and most comfortable hotel you will find.

"I'LL BE BACK"

JL

Last edited by johnnyblaze007; Apr 28, 2015 at 1:11 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We've only stayed at a HP once before, several years ago. We will be staying at this one next month. I have an AAA Breakfast Rate. Isn't breakfast included in all rates at this property? Do they have a fancier breakfast that's for sale and that this rate would provide ?

What do their breakfasts consist of? We're not fans of breakfast sandwiches.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
We've only stayed at a HP once before, several years ago. We will be staying at this one next month. I have an AAA Breakfast Rate. Isn't breakfast included in all rates at this property? Do they have a fancier breakfast that's for sale and that this rate would provide ?

HP breakfast will have your typical cereal, oatmeal, toast, yogurt as well as breakfast sandwiches and occasionally french toast. I generally like their sandwiches personally. If you don't like what you see, just head over to the IHOP next door.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI

Everyone gets free breakfast; I am guessing it is just a AAA rate -- nothing extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.