Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric Wall Street New York (ex-Andaz) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC,National EE
Phew - I'm glad that I wasn't the only person who required AC to be comfortable. Between the hard beds, no AC, and tepid refreshments, I was completely convinced I was in Europe

Negativity aside, this is a very nice hotel. I would let my main decision point be the mattress. If you don't like a FIRM (and I mean really firm) mattress, you should probably look elsewhere because that's the biggest deal breaker.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:48 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Agree

Originally Posted by mgi
I was there last week and have to agree on the beds...the bed was incredibly firm to the extent of being uncomfortable - could not sleep the 3 nights I was there. But other than that - really enjoyed my stay...the staff, location, in-room diamond breakfast and upgraded room with the sitting area was great...

Let me say that I love the Andaz brand but the deal killer for me is the bed.Though it looks sexy and attractive in design it has no boxspring
Platforms look better and cost less to hotels and there is no expense of a boxspring which is where much of the comfort comes from
One is essentially sleeping on a wooden bench in the shape of a bed
Starwood did this with Aloft brand beds and I have never visted one as much as I would like too.Aloft is the budget friendly version of Andaz or a W
Starwood didn't skimp when it came to the W brand which not only has a great bed and boxspring but a feather bed too ^
This is something Hyatt should have considered.It is the only reason I haven't been back to an andaz since my first few experiences at Andaz West Hollywood

Unlike the Grand Bed which actually got better with age (more movement in the matress the Andaz bed will be like sleeping on cement for a long time to come.That said there is a market for super firm beds amongst some travelers.Much is subjective.The only bandaid approach Hyatt could consider would be to put feather tops on the beds something many hotels did before going to Grand Beds trying to increase comfort during the bed wars when comfort and a good nights sleep became the difference between a good or a bad stay post the Westin Heavenly Bed
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:03 pm

Mattress is such a personal thing. I found the Andaz WS mattress comfortable, but do no like their extremely thin-as-a-pancake pillows (all four of them!!!) and find their sheets harsh. Maybe the sheets haven't been laundered enough to make them soft and these will change overtime, but I definitely dislike them.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:56 pm

Apparently the Executive King is the "New Suite"

Called twice tonight - Diamond confirmed suite upgrade is supposedly the Andaz Executive King. I'm not sure I see the word "suite" anywhere. Are they just confusing the Andaz Executive King and Andaz Executive Suite?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:49 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by wilma
The people here are very friendly but have no solution for their current overheated room problem. Yesterday I was sitting in the lobby while they were having some sort of host meeting/discussion. One said that people are calling down and complaining but to just tell them this is NY and air conditioning in the bldgs is not turned on until April 15.
I agree no HVAC is a totally unacceptable. I'm thinking of staying for a few days on 4/17-4/19... I wonder if it is safe to assume the AC would actually be turned on by then.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:54 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
No

Originally Posted by speedytimmy
Called twice tonight - Diamond confirmed suite upgrade is supposedly the Andaz Executive King. I'm not sure I see the word "suite" anywhere. Are they just confusing the Andaz Executive King and Andaz Executive Suite?
I wouldn't accept that. Called the Diamond line. When you applied the cert, did they update your reservation? In my experience some reservations show the room type, some don't.

I've found Andaz to make up their own rules. I literally just made a booking that I was going to upgrade with points, but if it's not a suite, I'll switch to the Grand Hyatt or a W!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:17 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
Yeah, considering many Diamonds have reported here that they received an upgrade to an Executive King for free, I wouldn't want to waste a upgrade cert on it! I'll probably stay a few nights later this month, and I'm going to request an Executive King as my Diamond upgrade... we'll see if it is successful or not. My last stay I received just a Deluxe King.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
So just to understand this correctly, when I am coming as Diamond with wife and 2 kids, all they will give me for breakfast is one USD 50 voucher, which won't cover even half of the cost ? Or am I getting this wrong. Doesn't sound tempting to me...

Do they have suites with 2 doubles or king + sofa bed ? Reading the web I tend to say no...but then again their king suite says max occupancy 4 pax. Can somebody shed light ?

thks
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Yeah, considering many Diamonds have reported here that they received an upgrade to an Executive King for free, I wouldn't want to waste a upgrade cert on it!
On my last stay I also received a deluxe king on check-in but the room was so hot they moved us to an executive king so that we could have more open windows & facing a quieter street. The host told us that deluxe king is the standard upgrade for diamonds. The executive king was a corner unit and had more windows but only 1 opened, the second one was broken. It was still too hot & noisy but the room was much nicer and roomier than the deluxe king.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I just had my first stay at this property and I really enjoyed it. I was going to the statue of liberty so the location worked out really well. Upon check-in the diamond breakfast, andaz5, and diamond amenity were all explained. I was offered a drink and seat as well which I thought was a nice touch, but it might get old after a few stays or if I was in a hurry. The hotel itself was really nice and the room (upgraded to a deluxe king) was huge for NY standards. I really loved the bathroom. Although the glass wall might be uncomfortable depending on who I was travelling with, I thought it was a pretty cool touch and the Bigelow bath products were so much better than Portico. The best part to me though was the rate, $225 for this property with the Andaz5 is a steal in my opinion and I would definitely come back even without it.

I ordered room service for dinner and breakfast and they were both delivered promptly and the food quality was very good. The breakfast was automatically deducted from the bill and the menu looked to be exactly the same as the restaurant.

If the 5th Avenue property is anything like this one, I might have seen my last W in New York.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I just finished my first stay here on Saturday night.
  • Got off a red eye from SFO to JFK. Requested early check-in of 10:30am granted with no problems - plAAne landed at 8:15am, track work on E train this past weekend make a typically routine trip into Manhattan an ordeal
  • andaz5 code, G bonus, and 1,000 diamond amenity acknowleged at check-in. I had to inquire the host about the Diamond breakfast amenity.
  • Complimentary mini muffins near reception was especially tasty, as was the orange juice
  • I really enjoy reading newspapers. I was especially impressed by the excellent selection available in the lobby including NYT, FT, and IHT (very rare in the U.S.). Even the Sunday NYT was available the next day which is often not available at many hotels since the Sunday edition is several times more expensive than Monday-Saturday editions.
  • I agree the standard rooms are large by New York standards. Hardwood floors. Clean design. A little sterile for my taste.
  • Very friendly service, everyone from reception, to room service staff.
  • I attended both matinee and evening performances at the Metropolitan Opera on Saturday. The hotel was located only two blocks from the Wall St. subway stop where the 2 and 3 go directly to Lincoln Center. This was very convenient for me since I was able to come back to the hotel after the matinee for a nap and room service dinner using my andaz5 credit.
  • Bed was quite comfortable (but then again, I'm a heavy sleeper and can sleep anywhere, even in economy class to Asia). I agree the mattress is firm, reminds me of hotel beds in Asia.
  • Room service breakfast was fine. Ordered an omlette, with toast. The bowl of berries was very fresh (which I was pleasantly surprised. The quality of the blueberries was much better than what I find at my local Trader Joe's and Whole Foods). Room service dinner was excellent. I ordered the "Make your own" sandwich. The sandwich was made perfectly, juicy chicken, excellent crispy bacon, and a just a wonderful whole grain roll toasted to perfection. Quite a bargain at $12. Flourless chocolate cake was fine. After an evening at the Met, came back for a room service late supper of pumpkin soup and an appetizer of smoked salmon. Both were very satisfying. Room service prices are very reasonable. The gratuity is only 18% (I've seen some hotels charge 21%) and there's no delivery fee (usually another $4 or $5 at most hotels in the U.S.)
  • Neighborhood is dead on the weekends. Down the street is Pink, Tiffany, and La Maison du Chocolat, which are all out of my price range.

I will definitely come back to this hotel. I already have another andaz5 reservation for late May.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by spgplat21
I just had my first stay at this property and I really enjoyed it. I was going to the statue of liberty so the location worked out really well. Upon check-in the diamond breakfast, andaz5, and diamond amenity were all explained. I was offered a drink and seat as well which I thought was a nice touch . . .
Just after my glowing review, my stay posted and no G2. Not complaining as I usually have to call for these anyway, i just thought the timing was funny.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:02 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
I live in NYC, and so I haven't stayed at this hotel, but I did try out the spa as part of the www.spaweek.com special.

it's a nice spa and the therapists were great. Even though my massage was only 45 min, my therapist hit pretty much everything (I think she went a little over anyway.) My friend also really liked his therapist.

At $50, the spaweek.com special is a great deal (ends this Saturday). As part of the special, you get a 20% discount on your next treatment, as long as you book it before this Saturday.

The regular prices are $35/15 minutes of treatment or $135 for a 1 hour treatment and $165 for a 90 min treatment. They only have 2 treatment rooms and they close at 7PM, which is a tad early, so make sure to make a reservation.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:42 am
Community Director Emerita

Room count from BTe:

HOW MANY ROOMS?

253 rooms include 98 Kings, 37 Doubles, 78 Deluxe Kings, 36 Executive Kings, three Suite Kings and one Presidential Suite, ranging in size from 345 to 1,465 square feet.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:56 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

Andaz Wall Street - a concept by Hyatt

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

75 Wall St New York, NY US 10005

Andaz Wall Street - a concept by Hyatt (0 Photo)

Checked in yesterday for a one night stay. Chose the Andaz because I like the WeHo property, and was lured by the Andaz5 offer. In the end switched it over to a BWB free night.

The property is very modern, open plan and has a nice vibe to it, without the pretentiousness that the W brand has begun to experience. Was checked in, however I have no idea how the hosts read those laptops. The information must have been size point 6!

Got upgraded to a Andaz Deluxe King. Enquired about the Executive and was told the hotel was busy, and they've upgraded to the highest category available. I went to my room on the 9th floor and found the my room was directly next to the elevators. My gold passport profile specifically says quiet room which I take to mean away from elevators and service doors that open and shut all night. I stayed in the room for 20 mins and decided I didn't want to be woken all night by the bing of the elevators. Made a quick call to the hosts, who spoke with their manager and told me someone would come up with new keys. I was met by another host who walked me to a room on the 11th floor, as far from the elevators as possible, and when he opened the door I realised I had been upgraded to the Exec King. I would say this is double the size of the first room and feels like a junior suite with an open plan layout. It is one of the nicest hotel rooms I have stayed in because of the technology, contemporary furniture and huge windows.

The only downside to the hotel is the location. While I understand it is in the Wall Street area, when in NYC my life revolves around midtown so I had to keep getting cabs to and fro. Overall, while Andaz may like to think they are not Hyatt, they handled my request efficiently and until 5th Ave opens I will return over the "Grand" property.

Would you like to write a review on the Andaz Wall Street - a concept by Hyatt?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.