Reload this Page >

Expedia Cyber Monday 90% Off Coupon - FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:11 pm

Called customer support and asked for supervisor nicely. The supervisor listened to me regarding having a screenshot (I didn't) and I was charged full price even though the app took my coupon and IT DID SHOW PROMO DISCOUNT. She looked at the hotel, confirmed eligibility. Also checked the transaction time which was 11:00:53am. She confirmed everything checked out including seeing promo code and processed the refund. Stratosphere for New Years 12/31-1/2 went from $610 to $120
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by donovanrs28
Called customer support and asked for supervisor nicely. The supervisor listened to me regarding having a screenshot (I didn't) and I was charged full price even though the app took my coupon and IT DID SHOW PROMO DISCOUNT. She looked at the hotel, confirmed eligibility. Also checked the transaction time which was 11:00:53am. She confirmed everything checked out including seeing promo code and processed the refund. Stratosphere for New Years 12/31-1/2 went from $610 to $120
i was shot down by a supervisor and only offered a $50 coupon towards a future booking (i was overcharged by about $280). i'll call again in about a week once the dust settles. if they won't honor it, i'll just file a chargeback.

stunning incompetence all around by expedia.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyLSU
I was able to jump on the New Orleans deal for a two night stay in December. I had everything already filled out and ready for when they posted the code at 1:00.

Grand total of $113, $44 for the room and $69 in taxes and fees. To answer an earlier question, taxes are calculated on the cost of the room BEFORE the discount, I.e. my taxes were based on a total of $442 rather than $44. This was confirmed with an inquiry call to Expedia's customer service. I'll let other more experienced travelers determine the legality of that.

Just wanted to confirm that some of us did manage to break through. I know it's my first post, but I promise I'm not a robot or Expedia worker
On another level of deal analytics, take a note that $69 exceeds any government-collected taxes even on the $442 original. This ties back to over-all worthiness of this entire CyberMonday publicity stunt. If indeed touching holiday dates even by one day of my total attempted reservation was covertly blacked-out by Expedia's coding - then again the whole stunt was worthless to a vacationer. Are u aware that there exist, for example, "vacation weeks" certificates? Using one, I've booked Dec.19-26 condo in FL completely free, not one penny out of pocket, nada, no taxes or fees. I couldn't get that week in Orlando or S.Fl, but I got oceanfront in Daytona. Was hoping to get Orlando for the second week in OP deal- but Expedia blocked me from applying code even in the first minute. Has anyone seen anything in T&C about number of days limit? Has anyone seen mention of holidays?

What Expedia offered here (as a time-thrift lottery, as some pointed out) might have been not a huge value. Some dates can be had for next to nothing elsewhere, outside of Expedia. Key to real coup in this CyberDeal were dates, like what actually transpired with last year's visacheckout that proved to include no blackouts
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
I am sure to speak for majority who would love to see them
I ended up with 4 1/2 bookings. 4 with the promo code, and 1 with the promo code that ended up being billed by Expedia at the full rate. Will call CS and fix that one after dinner. Here's a screenshot of my best score:

Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), HHonors Gold
I got 2 out of the 3 hotels I wanted. With the last one I was charged the whole price at the end of the process and I went ahead and just went ahead and cancelled that.

In retrospect I suppose I could have gone the complaint route and asked for more coupons or the original price but hey, at least I got 3 nights in San Francisco for $166. Not perhaps the 90% discount it was slated to be but still better than anything else out ther.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:14 pm

Does any one remember what the 1PM PST coupon code was?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:41 pm

Time2shop
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Weird. Some people got several? Makes me think maybe there was a trick to it? Or their connection speed is faster? What gives, lol.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:20 pm

Well, that's great news! At least there was rainbow in the end of that storm. That screen shot is a swell deal: $200 including all taxes for 10 day all-inclusive!! I can't say I wouldn't get Mexico; I only tried Orlando, and only prime dates. So I still think algo was knocking holiday attempts, although I've noticed no Expedia disclosure about blackouts
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: Once upon a time...
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Weird. Some people got several? Makes me think maybe there was a trick to it? Or their connection speed is faster? What gives, lol.
I'm in Brazil so my Internet wasn't speedy by any means. My fingers, on the other hand, quite speedy.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:06 pm

so did u notice any common elements of what kind of bookings went thru?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: HH Silver
The Stratosphere one didn't surprise me a bit. What I am also wondering, is if there were a set number for each hotel, or a set number period.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Worst communicated and executed promo ever. Can't imagine they got any good will from this more like pissed off customers.
I downloaded app and there was more info about promotion on the regular website.
Deleted app right after 9:01AM when all coupons were used.
Sure others did the same.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Well I'm actually glad you asked.

There's a joke about the two hard things in computer science: naming things, cache invalidation and off by one errors.

This was a case of the middle issue. When you hit F5 or press refresh or do similar things in your modern web browser it doesn't always actually ask the server for the same page again. It just flashes and retrieves the page from the cache on your machine. This is to avoid loading the server on the other end needlessly.

Expedia had set all their cache expiry headers for that correctly to 0 to "force" a reload yet most browsers go ahead and ignore the directive for a short time and show you a cached version. Add to that the fact that the page loads a million scripts etc. it'll take another 2-3 seconds to load completely and that's also time off your clock.

After that it's about the time it takes to type in the code to an app window, press OK and slide to reserve and give the CVV code. That shouldn't vary too many seconds for most people so if you get the code within the first 5 seconds you probably will be able to make the booking.

Expedia really had thought about several things. To prevent bots from retrieving the code immediately they changed the rows at least during some hours. As far as I can tell the code was published around 2-3 seconds after the hour to fool most things that have been scheduled retrieve the page exactly on the hour.

For future reference there are extensions for Chrome that disable all caching and you can disable caching in developer mode. I'll personally keep on using the arcane spells of wget and grep. Might go with disabling cache on Chrome if I don't know where on the page the code will display as I didn't with the first round.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:31 pm

very useful!! Alas, the greater issue is to know if OTA coded blackouts or not. I wouldn't hold it against them, as that's the only dates they actually take a loss. But I haven't seen it in T&C, and this non-disclosure would rise to be very damaging to a savvy consumer. If warned to avoid certain dates, then u can adjust. If misled, you then lose this very time-thrift lottery. Of course OTA doesn't want to admit they push cheaper inventory on you, and OTA doesn't want to talk about their fees still embedded in any rez...Except our hero who posted Mexico screenshot- I don't understand how OTA messed up so big!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.