Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA executive plat, Turkish Airlines Gold , Etihad Gold
12K points + 3 euro
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Originally Posted by DLDFW
My quick summary what I have seen over night

1) All my accounts that had 12k are completely canceled, I can't even get into the accounts, its saying database didn't recognize email(yea right I have screenshots ;-)

2) All my bookings for FREE are completely canceled now

3) All my bookings with CASH & POINTS are STILL VALID!
Just curious, how many accounts did you register for?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:01 am

2 accounts:

Account 1: points + cash (used up all my 12.000): booking still active, everything seems normal.

Account 2: same hotel, points + cash (few points leftover): booking still active, leftover points still visible & available, everything seems normal.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz

1) All my accounts that had 12k are completely canceled, I can't even get into the accounts, its saying database didn't recognize email(yea right I have screenshots ;-)

How many accounts did you have? Also, are your cash and points reservations all for 3 nights - or shorter?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:28 am

I still have my 12.000 points but haven't made a booking yet.
Not sure if I should try to make a booking or transfer all the points (although TC said this wasn't possible)...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by FFlash
EDIT: Conclusively - good marketing by Melia? Yes, now I know about them. No, now I know that they aren't really the chain for me
Great marketing. I spent a ton of time on their website researching properties, and definitely know the brand better now. I'm sure a lot of flyer talkers who tried to game the offer will get frustrated and swear off Melia forever.... that always happens. But I think it's a marketing ploy. And a decent deal. I just checked the price of my reservation against CheapCaribbean.com. Looks like I'm saving 50% off the advertised price using this deal. It's not free, but it's a good coupon code.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Great marketing. I spent a ton of time on their website researching properties, and definitely know the brand better now. I'm sure a lot of flyer talkers who tried to game the offer will get frustrated and swear off Melia forever.... that always happens. But I think it's a marketing ploy. And a decent deal. I just checked the price of my reservation against CheapCaribbean.com. Looks like I'm saving 50% off the advertised price using this deal. It's not free, but it's a good coupon code.
Yeah, I can see that.
Just to be more precise. My earlier comment was not swearing them off. In fact I learned about their properties and program a bit and it sounds that their style&properties&way/whatever is not really what I value (and at pricing they seem to have, both lows and highs), so I know I will not become a Melia member, neutrally speaking.
As for membership in general, I prefer consistency in terms of rules and quality - marketing ploy such as this one doesn't really build my trust on this specific program (but this had less of a relevance in this case, since all brands aren't much better in this aspect either)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
Yeah, I can see that.
Just to be more precise. My earlier comment was not swearing them off. In fact I learned about their properties and program a bit and it sounds that their style&properties&way/whatever is not really what I value (and at pricing they seem to have, both lows and highs), so I know I will not become a Melia member, neutrally speaking.
As for membership in general, I prefer consistency in terms of rules and quality - marketing ploy such as this one doesn't really build my trust on this specific program (but this had less of a relevance in this case, since all brands aren't much better in this aspect either)
FFlash - sorry for being nitpicky. I guess I was pre-reacting to the slew of anti-Melia posts I'm expecting from people who had reservations cancelled because they did not follow the T&Cs or created multiple accounts. I agree, I wouldn't go out of my way to collect Melia points - but that's mainly because they don't have any credit cards! I tend to be loyal to whatever brand has the best earning/redemption opportunities at the time.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Kay_nyc, no hard feelings, I was not offended. You got a point there, that's what it is. After all this may be the best program for some people (maybe Spanish)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:12 am

Made a 1night booking yesterday for hotel in Munich using 12000 + 15% discount + 18euros. Just checked and my booking is still ok. The same room just with cash would cost me 90euros.

Btw, when I searched using the 15% discount code, there was no message or information that the price I was getting included the discount. But at the time of paying the price I got was lower when compared to the price of a search without the discount.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.

this is what I've described some posts above: legally speaking the points+cash bookings are more "binding" than the free nights (I don't spend time to explain You why, legally speaking). I think that the pts+cash reservations are ok because Melia will not expose itself to possible lawsuits.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: WN Companion Pass, National Executive
I also made a pair of one night booking for next month using points and cash, and so far the bookings are still active.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
this is what I've described some posts above: legally speaking the points+cash bookings are more "binding" than the free nights (I don't spend time to explain You why, legally speaking). I think that the pts+cash reservations are ok because Melia will not expose itself to possible lawsuits.
Paul, could you explain the legal aspects of it?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
It's quite long to explain. Very briefly: when You're going to sign a contract, if you pay a price (e.g. >0,01€) you've already fulfilled your duty/obbligation (when you've payed the price!). So after that You've the right to claim/exact the obligation underwrote by the other contractor.

If the contract does not foreseen (e.g.) the payment of a price, it's always a contract but under different aspects/duties. That (sometimes) are not so binding)!

This is a very easy way to explain it.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
It's quite long to explain. Very briefly: when You're going to sign a contract, if you pay a price (e.g. >0,01€) you've already fulfilled your duty/obbligation (when you've payed the price!). So after that You've the right to claim/exact the obligation underwrote by the other contractor.

If the contract does not foreseen (e.g.) the payment of a price, it's always a contract but under different aspects/duties. That (sometimes) are not so binding)!

This is a very easy way to explain it.
Thanks Paul. Where do refundable reservations fit in contract enforcement? You provide a CC number, but you're not charged until you check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.