Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by flyatlanta
Yes, WW Chan in Shanghai is ~30% less expensive than the HKG stores. The sales person was good, and understood his styling nicely, and I was happy with my suit and its styling. In the months after the purchase, though, some of the stitching came undone, and I have had three of the five pieces in for minor repairs; plus he only opened two of the four buttonholes on the cuff of the jacket when I asked for all of them to be opened. Nothing major, but this would not have happened on Jermyn St.
So, I have a lot of experience with WW Chan: many items and many years (4-5).

The first items I bought from them were from the Shanghai branch. Definitely better prices )and maybe even some bargaining ability, whereas with WW Chan in HK, there is no price negotiation.

The fabrics are the same, and the standards nmay even be trying to be the same, but the workmanship is substantially inferior.

I didn't really think of them as two entities, so I returned my Shanghai garmets to HKG, and after a few reviosions, we got the exact fit and workmanship I wanted (classic Zegna). And, the "fixed" those items for free.

When I have bought items from HKG, they suggested I stick with the Hong Kong tailors, where the masters of the shop from Hong Kong could have more control.

Would I go back to Shanghai again? Maybe, now tha have my style and tastes so worked out the HK.

On the other hand, they may be the "best" tailors in Shanghai, and I would use them over no choice.

Also, they tour the Us 2-3x per year, so you can meet them and they will correct and make changes and send things back to you.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue Elite Plus, *A Gold Elite, American AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt Platinum
In the end we didn't get any tailoring done. Our time evaporated and we decided we'll wait for Thailand/Vietnam again.
Old May 9, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by Jamoldo
It's been awhile since my last post on this thread in which I forgot to plug my guy and provide contact details. I just visited recently and got some quality shirts made for about 44 USD, fit very well. Altered my suit for free (free alterations for up to 5 years) too.

Harry Mohini
(852) 2366 9555 / 2368 9391
No. 20 Ground Floor, Far East Mansion Shopping Arcade, 5-6 Middle Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong.

Directions: Opposite Sheraton Hotel, Next to Tsim Sha Tsui Post Office.
I had Harry make me 2 suites and 3 shirts. He's the designer, and he has a local make the suits and someone else make the shirts. Reasonable prices, good service and almost no sales pressure. I think the shirts and suits came out very well. My better half will be the final judge of that when I get home, though.

http://www.mohinifashions.com/
Old May 15, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
SXP, good to know someone else had a good experience with Harry. All of my friends who have tried him have been happy too. In fact, I've got to make some french cuff shirts soon and will be over to see him then...

Also, has anyone else had custom made shoes made? I know a poster here (Andrew) recommended Dophen, which I am willing to try, but other ideas would be welcome too...

Last edited by Jamoldo; May 15, 2008 at 8:13 am
Old May 16, 2008, 4:27 pm

I'm partial to Maxwells Clothiers. http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

Prices are good and I'm happy with the quality. I was looking for anything super fancy or special so YMMV.
Old May 29, 2008, 5:56 am

There are plenty of good tailors around mirador mansion where you can get made to measure suits. Dont forget to bargain with them
Old Dec 25, 2008, 7:51 am

David fashions

I had my suit made at david fashion in TST last october. the result is reasonably good for a 24 hours service, except the botton holes are not open.

anyone here has tried david fashions? and opinion? I am going to hongkong in february, should i try another tailor?

thanks
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:34 am

Hi,

anyone knows what to think of Lords' Tailor, Collar & Cuffs and Man Hing Cheong ?
Are those upscale shirtmakers ?
Any better (upscale fabrics/expertise) recommendation in Central near the MO ?
Basically I'm looking for high quality shirts.
Thanks in advance !
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by gougoul
Hi,

anyone knows what to think of Lords' Tailor, Collar & Cuffs and Man Hing Cheong ?
Are those upscale shirtmakers ?
Any better (upscale fabrics/expertise) recommendation in Central near the MO ?
Basically I'm looking for high quality shirts.
Thanks in advance !
Most of my dress shirts come from A Man Hing Cheong. Excellent stuff overall, not cheap, but cheaper than equivalent quality off the rack in the US or UK, and a perfect fit, of course. I also have some from Ascot Chang, which is really famous, but I found not as good, in either service or in quality of the finished product.

In terms of durability, I found that a few of my A Man Hing Cheong shirts eventually shrink after repeated washings (we're talking years of use) with no fraying or wear, while all of my Ascot Chang shirts have suffered from this.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:02 am

Thanks for the info !

Any opinions on the first two ?
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by gougoul
Thanks for the info !

Any opinions on the first two ?
No, never had any work done at the other two. Finding a tailor is like finding a place to cut your hair. Once you find somewhere you like, the barriers to switching are psychological and very high.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
No, never had any work done at the other two. Finding a tailor is like finding a place to cut your hair. Once you find somewhere you like, the barriers to switching are psychological and very high.
I agree on that Thanks !
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:22 am

Hi, sorry to revive this thread.
Anyone has an opinion on B Clemo Tailor ?

Let me know !
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:15 pm

Very true! (about the switching costs of tailors) I use Poon Kee (upstairs along Wellington Street) and have done so for 15 years. I just had a suit made again by him - first one I've needed for 8 years (the quality is good enough that I'm still wearing stuff from 15 years ago) 5100 HKD, including two trousers, but the cost very much depends on the cloth you choose.

My wife keeps on wanting me to go somewhere trendier - but I just won't do it. But as he doesn't do shirts, I use Pacific Tailor (Pacific Place) for those.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:09 am

For shirts I had loads of recommendations for Ascott Chang.
So I guess I'll give it a try. Apparently they're one of the few doing bespoke (as compared to MtM) and have a great choice of fabrics.
They also don't subcontract shirtmaking, unlike many other tailors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.