Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 3P, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Harsh Dave
Hi Guys

I'll be in Macau on business for 4 days.
(Arrive Mon night, Free all day on Tues, work on Wed and Thurs, free all day Fri)
I know that in HK there are tons of tailors who can make a decent suit in this time.

Does anyone know if this is also true in Macau?
Any recommendations?
Price range is around $500 USD.

Or am I better off going to HK on Tuesday, and finding a tailor to measure me in the morning, fitting at night, and then go back on Friday for final fitting in the morning, and then pick up at night?

Thanks!
I'm also curious about this. I'll be in Macau for 6 weeks starting in January, and while I'll probably have time to head over to HK, I'm wondering if price / quality is comparable in Macau.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:25 pm

I was in sams a month ago and had 2 shirts made. The quality of the material is great, but the fit not so much.

They said they were closed sunday so I couldn't do another fitting. O well.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Where is a good place for a budget suit? Preferably including a shirt or two and maybe a tie. Around 500USD? I'm leaning towards WC & Son or Lee Gordon? Not looking for high quality fabrics, just a well tailored, well fitted suit.

Last edited by hiima; Jan 12, 2016 at 12:08 pm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by MFBergmann
I'm also curious about this. I'll be in Macau for 6 weeks starting in January, and while I'll probably have time to head over to HK, I'm wondering if price / quality is comparable in Macau.
I didn't find any good tailors in Macau and prices are definitely higher -- but I didn't look very hard.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:01 pm

HK Tailor Experience

I go to a trade fair in Hong Kong every year and two friends from the States, who also attend, encouraged me to get a suit made there. For essentially the same price as an off-the-peg suit back home, you get a made-to-measure item. And furthermore, they convincingly argued, the clincher perhaps, it’s something every guy should try at least once in a lifetime. Having read quite a few of the comments in this thread, my experience would seem to be par for the course but some of the details might help others considering the same thing.

My friends took me to their tailor who they’d been going to for a couple of years. (Possibly their motivation was a kickback!) It’s one of many tiny tailor shops in TST and it’s called Modell Fashions (8, Humphreys Rd.). It’s run by the Aswani family, great friendly and attentive people who’ll keep you plied with a couple of beers while you get measured up and choose fabrics. The price was about HK$ 3,500 if I remember rightly – it was two years ago. No doubt there is higher quality around at a much higher price but at the end of the day I was pretty satisfied with the results.

The whole process took six days with three fittings. I’m not your usual suit guy. I rarely need one. However, I do like fashion and want to look sharp when I do wear a suit. So I was aiming for something trendy but all-purpose at the same time, suitable for weddings, christenings and funerals, and which wouldn’t necessarily make me look like a bank manager. As I don’t need it for work every day, durability wasn’t a huge concern. Therefore I planned what I wanted very precisely and in retrospect I believe that to be the most important element of the whole process. Lapel width, number and place of the vents, number of buttons, the cut (slim please), style of pockets and stitching etc – I had it all defined. The Aswanis were great. They will accommodate any reasonable wish and change anything you need changing, but – and it’s a big but - you do have to tell them precisely what you want. Otherwise you’ll get what everyone else gets or whatever is easier and cheaper to make. My friends were about to get given jackets without vents or a lapel button-hole (fewer work processes, no doubt) until I spotted it. They just hadn’t thought about it. They would have looked like they were wearing sacks.

My suit has a great fit and has quite a few nice little details that an off-the-peg suit at that price certainly wouldn’t. I also reckon, despite the modest price level, it will be more durable. The sleeves are a little too long. I didn’t spot that and I suspect they did but wanted to save themselves another alteration. I had a couple of shirts made as well. One had a problem with the collar but they fixed that for free when I returned a year later. One other shirt I bought shrunk in the wash. So it’s not all plain sailing. But if you know exactly what you want and aren’t shy about demanding it, getting a MTM suit in Hong Kong is a good bargain and certainly a fun experience. I’d go back to Modell Fashions but I’d also be willing to give another place a try, now that I know even more about what to watch out for. I just don’t need another suit right now.
Rauf Dixon likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by porthcurno
I go to a trade fair in Hong Kong every year and two friends from the States, who also attend, encouraged me to get a suit made there. For essentially the same price as an off-the-peg suit back home, you get a made-to-measure item. And furthermore, they convincingly argued, the clincher perhaps, it’s something every guy should try at least once in a lifetime. Having read quite a few of the comments in this thread, my experience would seem to be par for the course but some of the details might help others considering the same thing.

My friends took me to their tailor who they’d been going to for a couple of years. (Possibly their motivation was a kickback!) It’s one of many tiny tailor shops in TST and it’s called Modell Fashions (8, Humphreys Rd.). It’s run by the Aswani family, great friendly and attentive people who’ll keep you plied with a couple of beers while you get measured up and choose fabrics. The price was about HK$ 3,500 if I remember rightly – it was two years ago. No doubt there is higher quality around at a much higher price but at the end of the day I was pretty satisfied with the results.

The whole process took six days with three fittings. I’m not your usual suit guy. I rarely need one. However, I do like fashion and want to look sharp when I do wear a suit. So I was aiming for something trendy but all-purpose at the same time, suitable for weddings, christenings and funerals, and which wouldn’t necessarily make me look like a bank manager. As I don’t need it for work every day, durability wasn’t a huge concern. Therefore I planned what I wanted very precisely and in retrospect I believe that to be the most important element of the whole process. Lapel width, number and place of the vents, number of buttons, the cut (slim please), style of pockets and stitching etc – I had it all defined. The Aswanis were great. They will accommodate any reasonable wish and change anything you need changing, but – and it’s a big but - you do have to tell them precisely what you want. Otherwise you’ll get what everyone else gets or whatever is easier and cheaper to make. My friends were about to get given jackets without vents or a lapel button-hole (fewer work processes, no doubt) until I spotted it. They just hadn’t thought about it. They would have looked like they were wearing sacks.

My suit has a great fit and has quite a few nice little details that an off-the-peg suit at that price certainly wouldn’t. I also reckon, despite the modest price level, it will be more durable. The sleeves are a little too long. I didn’t spot that and I suspect they did but wanted to save themselves another alteration. I had a couple of shirts made as well. One had a problem with the collar but they fixed that for free when I returned a year later. One other shirt I bought shrunk in the wash. So it’s not all plain sailing. But if you know exactly what you want and aren’t shy about demanding it, getting a MTM suit in Hong Kong is a good bargain and certainly a fun experience. I’d go back to Modell Fashions but I’d also be willing to give another place a try, now that I know even more about what to watch out for. I just don’t need another suit right now.
Just an FYI, there are other places at a slightly higher price point with great bespoke suits.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by porthcurno

Considering your comments about them missing things that required you to spot them, I'd go elsewhere. There are better places at that price point that run you through the entire checklist without you needing to tell them everything. They'll ask you.
Rauf Dixon likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:40 pm

Anyone have any experience with Charms Tailor?

All of the high end hotel concierges recommend them.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...g.html?m=19905
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
Anyone have any experience with Charms Tailor?

All of the high end hotel concierges recommend them.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...g.html?m=19905
I've used Lords - they share a website, assume production site. I've used one of the cheaper ones recommended on here in the past US$40/range. Horrendous quality; going back to HK shortly, using Lords again. My partner still have some shirts from 7 years ago which are doing ok. Obviously not Charms but I recommend (original recommendation came from The Upper House).
Old May 26, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
I've gotten great suits and shirts from Michael at Tai Pan Tailors in Queensway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.