Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
While I do not have info on James Chen, I do use another tailor at the Mandarin - A-Man Hing Cheong. I really think they have very high quality shirts and suits, and they are probably one of the most famous in the city. They can also recommend on style and trend. A shirt will probably run you for around $100 - $150 per piece nowadays, depends on the quality of the cloth that you use. They open till 7pm at night, so that should give you sufficient time to travel from the Lantau Island to Central by the MTR.

Last edited by hugochan; Aug 9, 2007 at 7:58 pm
Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta, United, USAir, Frontier, Southwest,
Better yet, does anybody know of a quality tailor on Lantau Island? That would save me the multiple trips to Central for fittings. I still plan on sight-seeing on Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, but I would prefer not to have to head over there every night of my trip.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
I'm just flying out of HKG today with 7 new shirts, 2 ties and 2 new suits from Pacific Custom Tailors in the Pacific Place Mall. I was originally going to go to Sam's Tailors in Kowloon, but when I arrived there about 10:00am, they were closed. Strange. So I proceeded to my backup plan - Pacific Custom. (Oh yes, turns out I didn't turn my watch back a hour from Tokyo time - Sam's probably opened within an hour of me leaving).

Anyway, the suits and shirts I got from Pacific look very nice.. at least on Par with Sam's if not better. Considering i'm 6'4" and can't buy an off the rack suit anywhere, having a bespoke suit made for $400-500 US is a bargain to me.

Pacific has the same "can I sell you another suit or shirt" hard sell like Sam's and others (which gets annoying in a used car salesman kind of way) - but if you brush aside that nonsense, stick to your guns, and go for what you want - I don't think you'll be disappointed. There are undoubtedly people who have exquisite tastes in clothes - as do I. However i'm a utilitarian and realist when it comes to custom made clothes.. what i'm buying isn't a $3000 Brioni or Armani suit!

Cheers
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hugochan
While I do not have info on James Chen, I do use another tailor at the Mandarin - A-Man Hing Cheong. I really think they have very high quality shirts and suits, and they are probably of the most famous in the city. They can also recommend on style and trend. A shirt will probably run you for around $100 - $150 per piece nowadays, depends on the quality of the cloth that you use. They open till 7pm at night, so that should give you sufficient time to travel from the Lantau Island to Central by the MTR.
A-Man Hing Cheong is one of the better manufacturers. But there really are very few that provide genuine quality with their own tailors. If you find a good one, stick with it: A-Man Hing Cheong, TALKY, WW Chan, Davids (by reputation), Ascott Chang (I was disappointed)...you very much get what you pay for, and it's a bargain compared to London or NY.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have a few insights to offer on the general issue. Rather than posting in OMNI, I searched for this thread because it seems that HK is the place that most suit wearers focus on.

-first of all, I will plug the guy that I've been using most often -- Ray 9419 0169; very close to TST MTR exit D
-The pants are the most imporant part of the suit, when doing business in hot climates
-You should select designs in which the pants look good when the jacket is not on your body (classic business styles don't fulfill this requirement very well; think "contemporary")
-I recommend owning at least one stylish rack suit for the tailor to copy (Jil Sander seems to be pretty hot now.... and I've always liked Paul Smith)
-Order at least one extra pair of pants; if you're like me, the pants will get a lot more wear than the jacket
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
Originally Posted by heckler
I was originally going to go to Sam's Tailors in Kowloon, but when I arrived there about 10:00am, they were closed. Strange.
It was your lucky day! I had my first suit and shirts made at Sam's when I moved to HK and had to throw them in the trash (literally). Poor fit, cheap materials and workmanship, smelled from the tailor's cigarettes, and Sam was unwilling to do anything about it.

Since then, I've had very good experiences with Michael at Tai Pan Tailors in the Admiralty Centre, Queensway. Good prices, great quality, very good fashion sense.

Good luck!

Last edited by lance1713; Aug 28, 2007 at 5:06 pm
Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:22 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I have a friend who is heading to Hong Kong this week. She asked if I knew of any women's tailor over there.

I know the place to come for that info is right here... surprised no response to this February thread.

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
It's been awhile since my last post on this thread in which I forgot to plug my guy and provide contact details. I just visited recently and got some quality shirts made for about 44 USD, fit very well. Altered my suit for free (free alterations for up to 5 years) too.

Harry Mohini
(852) 2366 9555 / 2368 9391
No. 20 Ground Floor, Far East Mansion Shopping Arcade, 5-6 Middle Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong.

Directions: Opposite Sheraton Hotel, Next to Tsim Sha Tsui Post Office.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:48 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by heckler
I'm just flying out of HKG today with 7 new shirts, 2 ties and 2 new suits from Pacific Custom Tailors in the Pacific Place Mall. I was originally going to go to Sam's Tailors in Kowloon, but when I arrived there about 10:00am, they were closed. Strange. So I proceeded to my backup plan - Pacific Custom. (Oh yes, turns out I didn't turn my watch back a hour from Tokyo time - Sam's probably opened within an hour of me leaving).

Anyway, the suits and shirts I got from Pacific look very nice.. at least on Par with Sam's if not better. Considering i'm 6'4" and can't buy an off the rack suit anywhere, having a bespoke suit made for $400-500 US is a bargain to me.

Pacific has the same "can I sell you another suit or shirt" hard sell like Sam's and others (which gets annoying in a used car salesman kind of way) - but if you brush aside that nonsense, stick to your guns, and go for what you want - I don't think you'll be disappointed. There are undoubtedly people who have exquisite tastes in clothes - as do I. However i'm a utilitarian and realist when it comes to custom made clothes.. what i'm buying isn't a $3000 Brioni or Armani suit!

Cheers
Another vote for Pacific Tailors - purchased many shirts and a suit from them over the past couple years. Great service - they even personally delivered my order to me at the Airport Express station when I had a tight connection after transiting from China during one trip.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:47 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
WW Chan Fitting in LA on 11/16/07, but Prices?

Originally Posted by nologic
I have used WW Chan on numerous occaisions and they are very high quality. MOST of the custom tailors in HKG are store fronts for a common tailoring factory in Shenzhen. The people who make the clothes don't work for them. WW Chan has their on tailors, and they invest more man hours per piece than most of the others, and the quality difference is noticeable. But the cost is much higher. I was just quoted 14,700 HKD for a Loro Piana cashmere blazer.
Another post mentioned a similar prices for a custom "Zegna" look suit.

I have a WW Chan double-breast suit from several years ago that no longer fits me because I dropped 25 pounds. I've been on the mailing list ever since, and they have these U.S. dates for fittings:

Palm Beach 11/12/07
Houston 11/14/07
Beverly Hills 11/16/07
SFO 11/18 and 11/19
Appointments at [email protected]

So I'm going to go to their LA date and then bring the suit with me when I arrive in Hong Kong on the end of my SU: OSL to HKG trip in late May. That suit wasn't cheap, but prices north of $1,000 for a suit is out of my range now. Does WW Chan have anything generic sub $1,000? How about slacks?
I am out of touch regarding current HK fine clothing prices, don't know a lot about clothes, and hardly know what to ask for.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Most reputable tailors in HK will alter your suit for free as part of the original purchase agreement. I was able to get ripped liners re-stitched and altered pants for free.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 4:06 am

Programs: QF Silver, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat, Priority Pass
Question

I'm also trying to find recommendations for a tailor for a ladies suit, any suggestions?

thanks
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
there's a thread about the HKG tailors in the Women Travelers forum:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373210

I've been researching myself as my wife and I are heading over to Hong Kong soon. Here's what I've found so far:
Jantzen does do women's suits, they have a picture of one on their web site http://www.jantzentailor.com/

WW Chan has a women's "section" called Irene Fashions:
http://www.wwchan.com/clothing.html

I came across this tailor, Margarent Court @ http://www.margaret-court.com.hk/
through this page.

Pacific Custom Tailor also appears to do ladies clothes:
http://www.pacifictailor.com.hk/ladies.htm

Custom made/Made to Measure shoes are also available. There is one called Zee's at:
18 far east mansion arcade
g/f middle road
Tsim Sha Tsui, Kownloon
Another shoe maker is Mayer Shoes at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. And one more, Dophen, at the Mirador Mansion in Tsim Sha Tsui.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold
Anyone heard of...

Y William Yu? It's the shop my dad used, and I've gotten a few shirts done by them from their US tours. Quality is ok, but I don't think great. But I'm not well-versed in such matters, so looking for a more expert option. Anyone used them? I think it's in Kowloon someplace.

I'm off to HKG for the first time this coming week, so looking for quick expert opinion so I know where to go (for bespoke shirts/suits and other stuff too I supose).

Thanks!
CO-dependent
Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:20 am

Programs: SPG Plat UA 1P Hilton Gold CO dirt
Originally Posted by CO-dependent
Y William Yu? It's the shop my dad used, and I've gotten a few shirts done by them from their US tours. Quality is ok, but I don't think great. But I'm not well-versed in such matters, so looking for a more expert option. Anyone used them? I think it's in Kowloon someplace.

I'm off to HKG for the first time this coming week, so looking for quick expert opinion so I know where to go (for bespoke shirts/suits and other stuff too I supose).

Thanks!
CO-dependent
For MTM/bespoke shirts, Jantzen has a good quality/price ratio, their shirts are around 40-45USD and up:

http://www.jantzentailor.com/

Baron Kay has been know to be able to make a good suit for about 600USD. WW Chan, A-Man-Hing-Cheong, Gordon Yao, etc, will be in the 1000USD+ range. Jantzen also makes suits, they should be in the 450USD range, however, they are more known for their shirts. Any tailor you see with hawkers/touts on Nathan Rd should be avoided, and most other tailors in the lower-mid-price ranges are mostly fronts for shops in China just across the border.

You can also check out styleforum.net and www.askandyaboutclothes.com for more info on HK tailors.

Also, there is a place called Zee's where they make custom shoes and other leather goods:
Zee's Leather Ware's
18 Far East Mansion Arcade
Middle Road, Tsimshatsui, Hong Kong

Good luck, I'm also heading to HK for the first week of December, and will also be getting a suit or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.