Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:46 am

Programs: 2014 : BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum for Life , LH/LX Senator, Emirates Gold, Etihad Gold, CX Plat
any update ?

Hi

I will be in HKG next week. I need to buy some good quality shirts...

I stay at the Ritz Carlton with not a lot of time between meetings.

Tx for tyour advice
Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN
What would you all say is the best HK tailor in terms of value for the money?
Old Oct 21, 2006, 1:03 am

I have just returned from Honkers with a new suit from the unfortunately named Stitch-Up Tailors, Star House, Kowloon, as recommended in the Lonely Planet Guide. It's opposite the main Star Ferry terminal.

I had a suit made from Super 120's wool, cashmere and mink mix fabric (one of the most expensive). Three fittings within 48 hours with the Shanghainese tailor. Very pleased with the result.

George, the affable Indian owner did not ask for a deposit and even got my favourite beer in (Tsing Tao), as the house offering was not to my taste.

I heartily recommend them, and will return.

The price? HKD 2600 - GBP 175 - USD 334.

I have been ripped off by other Hong Kong tailors, notably the famous Rajah, who tours the UK and USA taking measurements and orders. Your suit is then mailed from Hong Kong. Although in fairness, they did try to make changes (to an expensive and shoddily made blazer) when I pitched up with it on their doorstep, yet the result is still less than satisfactory. I will wear it when gardening.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 8:41 am
Suspended

My guy is James Chen - Mezzanine Level of the re-opened Mandarin - have been using him since 91 - the only time the suits go bad is when i grow to big for them Also for great shoes, Mayers is next door - same level.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:17 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I arrive in HKG on a Thursday and have time in the afternoon to go to a tailor for fittings. I also have time Saturday to go for more fittings. I fly out on Sunday afternoon. I need a basic black suit which will be lightweight as I travel to several very humid locations. I guess that has an effect on the material of the suit and the silky internal material as well.

What price should I expect to pay?

What materials should I be asking for?

Anything in particular to look out for when checking the quality?

Any suggestions for tailors in the area of Hunghom in Kowloon?
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Also for great shoes, Mayers is next door - same level.
And fantastic ladies handbags. Mr. Mayer has now done a half dozen handbags for me (at least) and an equal number of pairs of shoes. I've referred many folks here - his stuff is top notch!
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:35 pm

I use Jack Balani with Rivera Fashions. YOu want a high count wool from italy. It is light way, wears well. I pay about $600 for a suit from him. I have been getting Zenga material for this price. Shirst are $55 and just pants or extra pants $150.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:01 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
What about recommendations for a women's tailor?
My wife want to have some Japanese kimonos remodeled to a western style.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:42 am

Based on experience and reccomendation; try Pacific Custom tailors at Pacific Place, HK island. Ask any taxi driver or take the MTR to Admiralty. China's Lonely Planet guide said something along the lines of one of the best tailors in HK. They were very good with service (the San Miguels) and quality when i went there. Price was (i should still think is) medium range for shirts; say US$35-40 a peice (depends how many you get) and suits were somewhere around the HK$3500 mark. But try to bargain a little, and you might get a better deal.

Anyone else have any experiences with them>
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN
I've heard Pacific Custom Tailors is very good.

My experiences with Sam's Tailor in Kowloon have been the same. Their shirts are superb, ditto the suits and trousers. They charge about $40 USD per shirt, about $375-400 USD for a decent suit and $100-125 USD for dress slacks.

If you want to comparison shop, there are two other tailors in the same building as Sam's (Burlington Arcade in TST) -- Ash Samtani (a mid-range tailor like Sam's) and W.W. Chan, which is more high-end.

BTW, I believe Sam's and Pacific are owned by the same people. If you're staying at Pacific Place, Pacific tailors is right downstairs in the mall.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I found a tiny shop in Kowloon called Sammy Tailor. Sammy is a decent guy who puts together a great shirt for a decent price. Much lower than the other shops here as I recall. It's been over a year since I visited him, but I will probably swing by for some shirts next month.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:11 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Harry Mohini of Mohini Fashions.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 9:16 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Just for calibration, W W Chan in TST is offering made to measure suits with Zegna Trofeo fabric for about US$1500 in November, 2006. In the US, Nordstorm is selling Zegna off the rack suits for US$1895, before tax. Assume a minimum of 3 fittings over a couple of days. 3-4 days preferred.

It's an interesting detail that the off the rack suits don't show a Zegna watermark, or whatever it's called, in the lining, though you get that with made to measure.

Also, somewhat in a departure from the past, WW Chan can get Zegna fabrics that aren't in what might be termed the "Asian" color palette. That is, my understanding is that it used to be difficult to get browns, but they can get them with some additional time. (It's not necessarily as simple as picking a fabric from a Zegna fabric book in your own country. There was some thought that the order numbers may be different.) You can still bring 3 metres of fabric, if you wish.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 12:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
I came to this about 3 days too late (I arrived here Tuesday evening and fly out on Friday night - its now Thursday evening local time). I will be book marking this page for my two-3 trips to HKG next year
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I have used Maclarry Fashions for years. They are on Mody Road in Tsim Sha Tsui. Small shop, reasonable prices (not cheap, but not very expensive). They have been in business for 30 years. Gary and Mack are honest and reliable.

Last edited by MW147; Dec 7, 2006 at 7:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.