Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:18 am

Am a huge bargain hunter, but wasn't looking for an absolute bargain on the suit front, as tons of people told me one gets what one pays for in HK. Normally, Brooks Brothers' 40% off or "buy 1 get one 50%" sales suit me just fine (no pun intended). In HK, wanted to get a couple top-notch "power" suits for those meetings that really matter, and was looking for good value for the money. The nice thing about the high end shops as others have mentioned is that they are not salesy/pushy - you don't get slimy salesmen. But was *really* shocked by the high prices at these high end HK tailors. It would've been great if the FT'ers who had visited shops like A-Man, Ascot Chang, WW Chan, etc had posted the prices they got on their recent visits so that we wouldn't have wasted our time. After that visit at A-Man, I started calling ahead to the other places for price quotes on super 120 summer weights to decide whether it was even worth visiting those shops. Lesson learned - call ahead for price quotes. I found that the high end shops don't mind telling you their prices over the phone if you know what fabric weight you want.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jmc123
Am a huge bargain hunter, but wasn't looking for an absolute bargain on the suit front, as tons of people told me one gets what one pays for in HK. Normally, Brooks Brothers' 40% off or "buy 1 get one 50%" sales suit me just fine (no pun intended). In HK, wanted to get a couple top-notch "power" suits for those meetings that really matter, and was looking for good value for the money. The nice thing about the high end shops as others have mentioned is that they are not salesy/pushy - you don't get slimy salesmen. But was *really* shocked by the high prices at these high end HK tailors. It would've been great if the FT'ers who had visited shops like A-Man, Ascot Chang, WW Chan, etc had posted the prices they got on their recent visits so that we wouldn't have wasted our time. After that visit at A-Man, I started calling ahead to the other places for price quotes on super 120 summer weights to decide whether it was even worth visiting those shops. Lesson learned - call ahead for price quotes. I found that the high end shops don't mind telling you their prices over the phone if you know what fabric weight you want.
That's very nice to know, and I'll probably end up doing that for shirts at some higher-end places, although from the sound of the 'normal' prices in this thread, I'll continue to do business at non-HK shops, since I'm based in the US, I have the choice of pretty much any city in asia instead of just HK.

It's sad too, because I'd love to get stuff done in HK, since I really love the city, but there is no reason for me (not being captive in HK) to buy any suits or shirts in HK when I can get them almost anywhere for much much cheaper.

-jeremy
Old Sep 29, 2011, 9:13 am

Sam's Tailor

So I went back to Sam's tailor for more suits - had some made earlier this year and was happy with the quality. Went in, spoke with the guy that helped me last time ... the tall guy that went to NYC. We worked out 3 suites at about a total of $850 US. Sam came over and showed us (wife) some materials. We decided that we got a good deal, so she opted for 3 of her own and I added another - the material was great. I extrapolated that the costs would be under $2,000 ... $2,500 max because of higher end material. He asked what we did (my wife is an NYC attorney) and all of a sudden the quoted price was $6,700. After I pointed out the cost jumped significantly and asked for a break down, he discounted it to about $5,800. After pushing for and not getting the breakdown we walked. Went to another very well-known places (and a place friends have had their suits made) and got the 7 suites for around $3,000 with the same material - and had 7 shirts thrown in!

Sam's has had a lot of mixed reviews lately; I for one will never go back as there are many other reputable places. Sad, I liked the suit I go there before.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:55 pm

Could you share where you did your suits?, I am travelling with the wife next monday and still deciding which tailor to use, although i have been told OM Tailors are pretty decent.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by marco8
Could you share where you did your suits?, I am travelling with the wife next monday and still deciding which tailor to use, although i have been told OM Tailors are pretty decent.
Danny's - several friends of mine get their suits made there as well. I've seen better quality but it is not worth double the price IMHO. I have some from WW Chan - best quality I've seen - but it isn't that much better than Danny's. Tell him Noble sent you.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:24 pm

Thanks cnobles, I will let you know how how we did!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 4:29 am
EG1

Programs: DL - DM
Danny's

I'm new to posting on Flyer Talk, but have been reading threads here for a while. I found this one about tailors in Hong Kong and used it to pick one out over the weekend. I thought I'd pass along my experience in case it helps someone else.

I should preface this by saying that I'm a pretty average guy when it comes to suits. Until now, all of mine have been off-the-rack. From reading ad nauseum about what to do and not to do at these places, I know I didn't do everything perfectly. But I'm fine with that given my limited time and what I feel was a reasonable price.

After a couple of hours of Internet research, I picked out Danny's Fashion Shoppe. I got to the shop about 10:00 and was measured right away. I only had one day to be measured and fitted, but was told that they could accommodate me and that they would ship my purchases to me. I read enough to know that everyone says you need two fittings. Well, that didn't work with my schedule. Given a choice between one fitting or no suits, I chose to go with one fitting. I went back to the shop at 5:30 to be fitted with one of my suits that had been cut and sewn at that point. The tailor made a few tweaks to it, and that was that.

I ended up working out a package for 2 suits and 3 shirts that I think I'm really going to like. I planned to buy one suit, but decided to go ahead with a second one, too, since I was there. It's a gamble, but one I was willing to take.

Two things made me feel particularly good about choosing Danny:

(1) I met a couple from Australia in the shop when I went back for my fitting. They said they had been buying clothes from Danny for 25 years on his trips to Australia, but this was their first trip to his shop in Hong Kong. I visited with them for a while and they raved about his work.

(2) A lot of these shops make trips to the US, UK, etc.., But I saw on Danny's website that, in addition to the usual places you'd expect, he visits Mississippi (my state) when he comes to the US. When all the shops start looking alike, you've got to differentiate them somehow.

My experience at Danny's was great, and if the suits end up being half as good as my experience then I'll be really happy. Of course, YMMV. Good luck with whomever you choose.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:08 am

So I am back for HK and had mine and the wife's suits and shirts tailored with Danny/Singh. I am sure we cross with EG1 as we also saw the Australian couple. Thanks for the recommendation Noble. Everything went really well. Singh and the tailors gave us an extremely good service and were very careful in the fittings not to mention their courteous manners. They paid attention to all our requests ( stitched not glued, buttons, etc) Danny was very nice as well and whilst both are very good salesmen, they do it with experience and we never felt pressed. So if you mix all of the above with nice good quality materials and good workmanship (only time will tell), and delivery on time ( everything was ready as promised) , we had a very nice experience. IRO price, well we believe was a good deal but it is very subjective and depends on what materials you chose although we did checked around before committing with Dannys.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:36 am
EG1

Originally Posted by marco8
So I am back for HK and had mine and the wife's suits and shirts tailored with Danny/Singh. I am sure we cross with EG1 as we also saw the Australian couple. Thanks for the recommendation Noble. Everything went really well. Singh and the tailors gave us an extremely good service and were very careful in the fittings not to mention their courteous manners. They paid attention to all our requests ( stitched not glued, buttons, etc) Danny was very nice as well and whilst both are very good salesmen, they do it with experience and we never felt pressed. So if you mix all of the above with nice good quality materials and good workmanship (only time will tell), and delivery on time ( everything was ready as promised) , we had a very nice experience. IRO price, well we believe was a good deal but it is very subjective and depends on what materials you chose although we did checked around before committing with Dannys.
marco8, I saw another couple in the shop for just a moment when I was leaving after my fitting on the evening of Saturday, 10/8. The gentleman appeared to have several suits and shirts and he was was packing them in one or two of his own bags. Was that you?

I haven't received my suits yet, but it's encouraging to hear that you were satisfied with yours.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, AA Plat
I've never tried Danny/Singh, but may give them a shot next Spring when I go to HK. On Styleforum, WW Chan is regarded as one of the best in HK.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
In reading this thread, I noticed Danny's is on tour the time I'm planning to be in HK. While I'm sure the shop will be staffed, should I worry about this?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:52 am
EG1

Originally Posted by Braindrain
In reading this thread, I noticed Danny's is on tour the time I'm planning to be in HK. While I'm sure the shop will be staffed, should I worry about this?
If either Danny or Singh is there, you'll be fine. Singh measured me and wrote up my order on my first visit and I didn't actually meet Danny until I went back later that afternoon. E-mail them to see if either will be around.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:22 pm

Did you all receive your suits? Wanted to get your feedback on them.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:22 pm
EG1

Originally Posted by cnoblesd01
Did you all receive your suits? Wanted to get your feedback on them.
I received mine and have been very pleased with them and with my shirts. In fact, I've ordered additional shirts. I researched and eventually picked Danny's based on your initial post, so thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.