Wiki Posts
Search

It's Over!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2022, 1:07 am
Original Poster

It's Over!

At long last, it's over.

As of tomorrow December 29 all you need to do is take that RAT 24 hours before your flight and maybe carry a photo of it.

No online declaration, no PCR tests and just "advice" that you take RATs for the first 5 days. And certainly no 21-day hotel quarantine.

Let's celebrate.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Woo hoo!!!!! Waiting for this the entire time! Thank you!
Old Dec 28, 2022, 7:28 am
Original Poster

There was nothing about it in the press conference, but SCMP is reporting that the existing vaccination requirement will continue to apply to non-residents. No requirement to file the online declaration, so will airline check-in clerks again become arbiters of what passes muster?
Old Dec 28, 2022, 9:16 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
It's not over until there are no more tests at all, and no masks (ok they can stay for hospitals and elderly care homes).
AS MHT, wrldwide1 and Topcare like this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by 889
There was nothing about it in the press conference, but SCMP is reporting that the existing vaccination requirement will continue to apply to non-residents. No requirement to file the online declaration, so will airline check-in clerks again become arbiters of what passes muster?
Seems so.
Luckily the declaration form should stay online for the time being, it might be enough to quench clerks' thirst for paperwork and QR Codes.

Flying next week, will report if check-in clerks get creative in their requirements.
JNelson113 and Topcare like this.

Last edited by maalloc; Dec 29, 2022 at 4:19 am
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Oh oh. The news that the US (and probably some other destinations) will require a PCR test (or monitored RAT) before departure from Hong Kong puts a fly in the ointment.

Because we're back to that great uncertainty again. You won't know for sure till a day or so beforehand whether you can actually board that flight. And if it's positive you'll not only lose an expensive trans-pacific flight, you'll be quarantined in Hong Kong.

Maybe we should postpone the celebrations.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by 889
At long last, it's over.

As of tomorrow December 29 all you need to do is take that RAT 24 hours before your flight and maybe carry a photo of it.

No online declaration, no PCR tests and just "advice" that you take RATs for the first 5 days. And certainly no 21-day hotel quarantine.

Let's celebrate.
I arrived in HK yesterday. Does that mean that it is now not mandatory for PCR test on day 2 and RATs on the first 5 days?
Old Dec 28, 2022, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

From the Government press release issued yesterday:

"After the aforementioned nucleic acid testing requirements have been lifted, relevant inbound persons who had already arrived at Hong Kong today or earlier will no longer be required to undergo the relevant post-arrival nucleic acid tests according to the original requirement."

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...2122800773.htm
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:12 am

Outbound flights : HK part of China for PCR test requirement ?

Several countries(US, some in Europe) require a PCR test prior boarding a flight from China
is it the same from Hong Kong ?
Thank you
Old Dec 31, 2022, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by CGRA
Several countries(US, some in Europe) require a PCR test prior boarding a flight from China
is it the same from Hong Kong ?
Thank you
Which brings the next question: is there any place besides Test&Fly @ HKIA where we can get a PCR with a report at an affordable rate?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

It looks like the Community Testing Centres are still open. $150 for 24-hour test, $240 for 12-hour.

https://www.communitytest.gov.hk/en/faq/
tentseller likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by 889
It looks like the Community Testing Centres are still open. $150 for 24-hour test, $240 for 12-hour.

https://www.communitytest.gov.hk/en/faq/
Thanks for the link: I always thought CTCs only sent SMS results, but apparently they do send reports for self paid tests.

Any idea what those contain? Are they verbose enough to be used for flying ?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

They're run by Prenetics and you get a link to a proper certificate with your results. Somewhere on the web there's a sample, on the Prenetics site I think.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by maalloc
Thanks for the link: I always thought CTCs only sent SMS results, but apparently they do send reports for self paid tests.

Any idea what those contain? Are they verbose enough to be used for flying ?
The reports looks exactly the same as the one you get at the airport. In fact some of the labs are run by the same company.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:50 pm

Excellent News, thanks !

I did see a prenetics report turning up as « CTC report » during a google search; but I deemed it too good to be true and a google mix-up.

Thats a relief, as I’ll be flying to Europe in 2 weeks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.