Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Transit at HKG - current situation (merged thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit at HKG - current situation (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:35 pm

You don't show the RAT at check-in. You show the QR code you got when you filed the health declaration beforehand. Ditto vacccination certs for non-residents.
gudugan and HSBC like this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:18 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Some airlines are still asking to see the RAT (generally at some outstations who haven't caught up with the rules) and a few even insist it's supervised. There's a list on the Facebook (former) quarantine group.

CX should be fine with the QR code but for some other airlines, best to have a photo of the test cartridge and save the relevant HK gov websites in case. And potentially have a test to do in front of the agent (you'll need some in HK anyway) and maybe even a plan to get a supervised test at the airport depending on reports.

Hopefully agents of all airlines flying to HK will get up to date with the rules soon, and maybe they will even be relaxed further after Pooh is reconfirmed
HSBC likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
CX is fine as well as other airlines at ports with frequent flights to HK with declared -ve RAT. Any other outpost all bets are off as to their knowledge and understanding of the government of HK entry website.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:00 am

I'm trying to work out the current transit rules at HKG. Previously I know the rules were about having a ticket on a single contained booking but all wording for this seems to be removed from by CX and HKIA's website.
Effectively, I managed to snag a Business award on CX to London using AS miles. There is two issues: AS don't seem to be able to book a connecting itinerary for CX awards [Edit: they cannot do a connecting itinerary to Europe] and second, CX don't operate a connecting flight from TPE on the departure date that connects in time.

Has anybody been able to interpret the current rules for connecting on separate tickets? And would there be variation for CX->CX versus BR->CX? (I assume the former will have more likelihood of working)
Connecting times? Can one stay in the transit zone in the following circumstance: connection overnight but within the 24 hour period?

I do have an alternative routing available (JL/AY - TSA-HND-HEL-LHR) on another award which might be less hassle. The CX award on AS is simply better value and I've always wanted to fly Cathay!
One hopes that HK *may* have dropped 0+3 - but this may feel a little unlikely by the travel date (12-11-22)

Last edited by celsdon; Oct 12, 2022 at 3:17 am
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by celsdon
I'm trying to work out the current transit rules at HKG. Previously I know the rules were about having a ticket on a single contained booking but all wording for this seems to be removed from by CX and HKIA's website.
Effectively, I managed to snag a Business award on CX to London using AS miles. There is two issues: AS don't seem to be able to book a connecting itinerary for CX awards [[b]Edit: they cannot do a connecting itinerary to Europe] and second, CX don't operate a connecting flight from TPE on the departure date that connects in time.

Has anybody been able to interpret the current rules for connecting on separate tickets? And would there be variation for CX->CX versus BR->CX? (I assume the former will have more likelihood of working)
Connecting times? Can one stay in the transit zone in the following circumstance: connection overnight but within the 24 hour period?

I do have an alternative routing available (JL/AY - TSA-HND-HEL-LHR) on another award which might be less hassle. The CX award on AS is simply better value and I've always wanted to fly Cathay!
One hopes that HK *may* have dropped 0+3 - but this may feel a little unlikely by the travel date (12-11-22)
I'm pretty sure that proof onward travel is not a requirement to enter HK now (you can leave by whatever legal means at your disposal, including flying).
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm pretty sure that proof onward travel is not a requirement to enter HK now (you can leave by whatever legal means at your disposal, including flying).
So I assume that transit between separate tickets is theoretically possible? (With all the caveats that from a separate carrier they may not interline etc.)
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:18 pm

So I assume that transit between separate tickets is theoretically possible? (With all the caveats that from a separate carrier they may not interline etc.)
Transit on two tickets is allowed. However, you won't be able to enter HK unless you state clearly at check-in that you are going to enter HK and fulfil all the requirements for that (e.g., pre-flight RAT test, QR code, etc.).
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
Transit on two tickets is allowed. However, you won't be able to enter HK unless you state clearly at check-in that you are going to enter HK and fulfil all the requirements for that (e.g., pre-flight RAT test, QR code, etc.).
Yep of course, no intention to enter landside at HK with the current rules. Thank you.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 4:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yep of course, no intention to enter landside at HK with the current rules. Thank you.
Did you manage to book a good connection?
Old Oct 13, 2022, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Did you manage to book a good connection?
Managed to get a routing that goes via HKG and CDG on one ticket to LHR without excessive connecting times. So now should allay any concerns I had about separate tickets.
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, HH Diamond, FB Gold
I have a similar situation and curious if anyone can give insights. For November I booked a CX ticket AMS-HKG and a separated flight from HKG - BKK with Hong Kong Airlines with 5 hour layover.

I am fully vaccinated, no intention to enter Hong Kong. Do I need a covid test or a qr code? It seems that final destination rules apply according to what I am reading for transit passengers. But does this also apply to separate tickets on different PNR’s?
Old Oct 14, 2022, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by TKFrequentFlyer
I have a similar situation and curious if anyone can give insights. For November I booked a CX ticket AMS-HKG and a separated flight from HKG - BKK with Hong Kong Airlines with 5 hour layover.

I am fully vaccinated, no intention to enter Hong Kong. Do I need a covid test or a qr code? It seems that final destination rules apply according to what I am reading for transit passengers. But does this also apply to separate tickets on different PNR’s?
I think like my example it is technically feasible within the rules but it will probably depend on how strictly CX interpret them as they *could* say your CX ticket ends in HK so need to follow HK rules.

I suspect if you are connecting CX-CX separate tickets they may be more flexible/understanding. I think that HK could still be a little risky for separate ticket connections until the 0+3 rule changes.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, HH Diamond, FB Gold
I think like my example it is technically feasible within the rules but it will probably depend on how strictly CX interpret them as they *could* say your CX ticket ends in HK so need to follow HK rules.

I suspect if you are connecting CX-CX separate tickets they may be more flexible/understanding. I think that HK could still be a little risky for separate ticket connections until the 0+3 rule changes.
Thanks! It remains super tricky😫 But yea I guess it’s part of the fun otherwise I wouldn’t have booked it haha

I’ll report back when I performed the flight🫡
Old Oct 28, 2022, 5:14 am

Transit HKG - Dec 22

I would be grateful for some help with the following:

In December 2022, I'm travelling to Hong Kong on an American Airlines ticket via Tokyo. With the final leg on CX.

I do not intend on staying in Hong Kong. I have an onward flight to Manilla booked on Hong Kong Airlines on a separate ticket.

Is the separate ticket likely to case issues at check-in? Will it be accepted as proof of transit?

If it eases matters, I could do the antigen test and fulfil the HK entry requirements before check in?

Any advice?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:32 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Should be OK, just go to the airport a bit earlier to give yourself time to do the test if needed, or have a suitably timed photograph of a negative test on your phone. You can do the green code thing anyway, as it doesn't actually do live verification and doesn't require proof of the test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.