Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Transit at HKG - current situation (merged thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit at HKG - current situation (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Chihster
Does the 0+3 protocol allow me to go into HK for the day during long transit (arrive during morning and depart during night)?
Yes. However, you won't be able to eat inside restaurants (takeaways are allowed) or access any other venue that bans amber QR codes from entering.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by :D!
Now it will be, but you need to fulfill Macau's entry / covid requirements too.
Just out of curiosity, what's the best way travel between HK and Macau now? Last I checked a few months ago, it wasn't easy.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by tauphi
Yes. However, you won't be able to eat inside restaurants (takeaways are allowed) or access any other venue that bans amber QR codes from entering.
I don't want to encourage unethical behavior, but wouldn't getting around this be as simple as borrowing someone else's phone?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I don't want to encourage unethical behavior, but wouldn't getting around this be as simple as borrowing someone else's phone?
HK is not China. While this would probably work, if you get caught you will go to jail. They're pretty serious about prosecuting such cases.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:20 am

Just out of curiosity, what's the best way travel between HK and Macau now? Last I checked a few months ago, it wasn't easy.
The only direct way is by bus over the bridge. Otherwise you'll need to fly to a third country and back.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:17 am

I can't keep up with all the COVID craziness in China / HK SAR. I'm taking Cathay Pacific from VN to JP.. and considering either just transiting remaining airside or spending 1 night in HK (haven't been there since 2017).. what is the difference for requirements for these two options? For transiting, I'm presuming no requirements.. if I want to spend 1 night landside.. are there still requirements? This will be for November, 2022
Visconti and gudugan like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I can't keep up with all the COVID craziness in China / HK SAR.
Neither can I, and it gets getting to the point where I'm starting to wonder if I need a lawyer to figure this out!
Old Oct 5, 2022, 3:18 am

Here's the Government explaining one of the rules:

"For individuals who received COVID-19 vaccines in places outside of Hong Kong and have received the required dose(s) as stipulated in the List of COVID-19 Vaccines Recognised for Specified Purposes (listed vaccines) at least 14 days prior to arrival at Hong Kong; or for those who received a combination of doses of listed vaccines, receiving a combined number of doses of the listed vaccines equivalent to the recommended number of dose(s) of one of the listed vaccines received, whichever higher the number is applicable (except in the case that the recommended dosage of one of the listed vaccines received is "1"), they will also be regarded to have completed the vaccination course of the relevant COVID-19 vaccine."

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...2092400048.htm
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I can't keep up with all the COVID craziness in China / HK SAR. I'm taking Cathay Pacific from VN to JP.. and considering either just transiting remaining airside or spending 1 night in HK (haven't been there since 2017).. what is the difference for requirements for these two options? For transiting, I'm presuming no requirements.. if I want to spend 1 night landside.. are there still requirements? This will be for November, 2022
There’s some posts at the end of the thread here: Hong Kong Cuts Hotel Quarantine to Three Days to Revive Hub

I wouldn’t recommend going landslide (I abandoned my plan to transit in HKG too). Downside risk if you test positive on arrival and you can’t go to restaurants.
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by gudugan
There’s some posts at the end of the thread here: Hong Kong Cuts Hotel Quarantine to Three Days to Revive Hub

I wouldn’t recommend going landslide (I abandoned my plan to transit in HKG too). Downside risk if you test positive on arrival and you can’t go to restaurants.
So, you would stay overnight in the airport because you can't eat in restaurants or might get a positive PCR result?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
So, you would stay overnight in the airport because you can't eat in restaurants or might get a positive PCR result?
Either do a short connection airside or pick a different transit point or route.

Based on this FAQ I'm not sure you can leave the country if you have a positive PCR test on arrival. A2 says you can leave during the medical surveillance period (with some implication that you're negative) but C1/C3 suggests you may be transferred to a public hospital. https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/i...faq.html#FAQC1
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by gudugan
Either do a short connection airside or pick a different transit point or route.

Based on this FAQ I'm not sure you can leave the country if you have a positive PCR test on arrival. A2 says you can leave during the medical surveillance period (with some implication that you're negative) but C1/C3 suggests you may be transferred to a public hospital. https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/i...faq.html#FAQC1
If you receive a positive result before your flight out then you won't be allowed to leave. You'll need to quarantine for seven days at a minimum (= not allowed out at all).
gudugan likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
To enter HK:
You would need an entry declaration which involves a Vax cert and a self-administered -ve RAT test within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last flight that lands in HK.
You will be tested at entry, if +ve, then ?????
You will not be able to dine in at any catering establishment within 3 days of entry; takeaway only. This applies to all.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:45 pm

tentseller or other Passenger,
For the self-administered RAT test, how can you prove the negative test result to the airline to board the flight to Hong Kong?
Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by HSBC
tentseller or other Passenger,
For the self-administered RAT test, how can you prove the negative test result to the airline to board the flight to Hong Kong?
Thanks!
I suppose every airline can set its own policies, but I assume showing it to the check-in person works pretty well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.