Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Transit at HKG - current situation (merged thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit at HKG - current situation (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by neotraveller
With the new PCR test requirements for entry to countries from Hong Kong, does this include transit passengers? So if I'm flying back from BKK to YVR via HKG, I need to get a negative PCR test to fly?
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ong-kong-macao

Does not include transit pax
timriley12 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Trying to look at my options here, will flying SFO-HKG-MNL produce any difficulties in MNL? Anyone connected in HKG recently?
Old Jan 16, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by kiokujai
So glad that the Canadian government updated their test requirements to match what the US government is doing - it really didn't make sense to force transiting passengers spending less than 24hrs in HKG to require a covid test...
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
I'm transiting less for 22 hours in HKG next month (will exit airport) so I'm glad I won't need to do a COVID test. Does anyone know if HKG T1 has a priority security/immigration lane for First/Biz passengers? Trying to see what time I should arrive at the airport. My flight HKG-YYZ departs at 1850. Thank you.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:57 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by JCFans
I'm transiting less for 22 hours in HKG next month (will exit airport) so I'm glad I won't need to do a COVID test. Does anyone know if HKG T1 has a priority security/immigration lane for First/Biz passengers? Trying to see what time I should arrive at the airport. My flight HKG-YYZ departs at 1850. Thank you.
We have abut 18 hours at HKG between flights early next month. We booked the Regal Airport Hotel, which is close but land-side. What requirements are in place for us presumably tp go through Immigration, stay at the hotel, and then go through exit immigration to prepare for our flight?

Are there any less complicated alternatives, e.g. paid lounges, for a couple of tired seniors to get a few hours of rest? We'll have ample OneWorld lounge access FWIW but they don't appear to be open 24 hours.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JCFans
Are you enrolled in eChannel?
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:59 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Departure has Courtesy Channel Cathay Diamond HKIA Buggy Sevice

No expedited queue for arrivals but queues for manual desks still very minimal - even with my mother on 3rd day of CNY.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
Are there any less complicated alternatives, e.g. paid lounges, for a couple of tired seniors to get a few hours of rest? We'll have ample OneWorld lounge access FWIW but they don't appear to be open 24 hours.
Lounge near gate 35 airside 11pm-8am have sleeping rooms https://www.plazapremiumlounge.com/e...te-thirty-five . I just called them, they're operating.
Fredd likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Lounge near gate 35 airside 11pm-8am have sleeping rooms https://www.plazapremiumlounge.com/e...te-thirty-five . I just called them, they're operating.
Thanks for that information! Would that be significantly simpler for us than staying at the Regal Airport Hotel? We're landing at HKG at 3:00PM and leaving the following morning at 8:00AM.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
Thanks for that information! Would that be significantly simpler for us than staying at the Regal Airport Hotel? We're landing at HKG at 3:00PM and leaving the following morning at 8:00AM.
Of course. You’re at the gates already.

Not cheap tho, ~US$200/person/room.
Fredd likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Of course. You’re at the gates already.

Not cheap tho, ~US$200/person/room.
Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2023, 12:21 am

Programs: AP 35K
If transiting through Hong Kong from third country -> HKG -> China, does anyone know if airlines will check that the covid test to enter China is 48 hours before the flight HKG -> China, or the initial flight to Hong Kong? TIA!
Old Mar 9, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm curious if anyone has had any trouble with the "no testing for transit <24 hour rule" for US bound travelers. This seems like the kind of nuance that could easily be lost on the check-in counter, gate agents, security check, etc. I'm scheduled to spend less than <24 hrs transiting HKG in a couple weeks and definitely want to enter the city.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingpbandj
If transiting through Hong Kong from third country -> HKG -> China, does anyone know if airlines will check that the covid test to enter China is 48 hours before the flight HKG -> China, or the initial flight to Hong Kong? TIA!
When I flew HKG-HGH in January, CX checked my test results vigorously They even asked me for the boarding passes from my prior flights from US.
Now, the testing requirement has been relaxed somewhat, I guess that CX may do it less vigorously. Hope that someone with recent experience will reply to you.
It is worth checking your country's Chinese Embassy website about testing requirement. If no test is required, you can print and bring that page with you.
Good luck.
Edit: Within 48 hours starting from the departure time of your HKG-China flight.
flyingpbandj likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mafan812
I'm curious if anyone has had any trouble with the "no testing for transit <24 hour rule" for US bound travelers. This seems like the kind of nuance that could easily be lost on the check-in counter, gate agents, security check, etc. I'm scheduled to spend less than <24 hrs transiting HKG in a couple weeks and definitely want to enter the city.
No more testing requirement for returning to USA as of March 10.
mafan812 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.