Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Transit at HKG - current situation (merged thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit at HKG - current situation (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2023, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I am transiting YYZ-HKG-SGN, and spending the night at the Sky City Marriott.

This is what I'm seeing for Covid testing requirements:
Warning

Passengers must have:

- a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test (self-administered or by professional swab sampling) taken at most 24 hours before departure of the last direct flight to Hong Kong, SAR China; or

- a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken at most 48 hours before departure of the last direct flight to Hong Kong, SAR China.
Does anyone know if the self-administered rapid antigen test is the kind you just do yourself at home, or does it have to be the kind where you are supervised via Zoom?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I am transiting YYZ-HKG-SGN, and spending the night at the Sky City Marriott.

This is what I'm seeing for Covid testing requirements:

Does anyone know if the self-administered rapid antigen test is the kind you just do yourself at home, or does it have to be the kind where you are supervised via Zoom?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I've done a bit more research. It seems no one even asks to see the test results, so I'm happy I won't have to spend money to get a test done.

How to supply Covid test results for arrival - Hong Kong Forum - Tripadvisor
Old Mar 15, 2023, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Thanks. I've done a bit more research. It seems no one even asks to see the test results, so I'm happy I won't have to spend money to get a test done.

How to supply Covid test results for arrival - Hong Kong Forum - Tripadvisor
The Rules say a test.
There are multitude of cases where it was not checked.
Do you want to be the exception?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
The Rules say a test.
My read was that "pay for a test" referred to something official like nucleic acid or supervised RAT....as opposed to an inexpensive RAT kit. I can completely relate to this...not expense wrt actual test cost, but the time suck getting a PCR entails these days. I got one (for free) at a CVS yesterday in Allston, MA (closest location to downtown Boston with availability). Getting there and back during a storm was a significant ordeal. Furthermore, they made me wait in their parking lot because covid test patients are not permitted to enter the store.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 5:07 pm

For f*cks sake, ditch the g*da*mn testing regime already. WTH is the point?

Rant over.
mafan812 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by moondog
My read was that "pay for a test" referred to something official like nucleic acid or supervised RAT....as opposed to an inexpensive RAT kit. I can completely relate to this...not expense wrt actual test cost, but the time suck getting a PCR entails these days. I got one (for free) at a CVS yesterday in Allston, MA (closest location to downtown Boston with availability). Getting there and back during a storm was a significant ordeal. Furthermore, they made me wait in their parking lot because covid test patients are not permitted to enter the store.
It is just any test, DIY RAT totally fine.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
The Rules say a test.
I don’t understand your comment. I plan to do my test. I probably have 30 DIY home kits in my closet. I was just looking for clarification if that was acceptable which is what I understood moondog to say. If I need a supervised test, a friend has offered me a LAMP kit that he bought. Let me know if that is what is required.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 12:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Don’t overread it. A RAT test self administered before departure is compliant. Keep a photo in case if checked.
margarita girl and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:01 am

My flight home from BKK ==> HKG ==> TPE==> SFO in May . I will transit at HKG and TPE airports ( ~ 4hrs and ~5 hrs) . I book my ticket with Unites miles .
I check online but unable to find out the requirement of Covid-19 rule for Hong Kong and Taipei .

1) Can anyone please advise , for passenger transit at HKG airport and TPe airport, does it requires PRC testing to be done before arrival and departure at these airports .

FYI the segment BBK- HKG ( flight with Thai Airways) HKG- TPE -SFO ( flight with EVA)

2) Which business lounge is best to choose at HKG airport .

Please advise and thank you.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vnfilm1
My flight home from BKK ==> HKG ==> TPE==> SFO in May . I will transit at HKG and TPE airports ( ~ 4hrs and ~5 hrs) . I book my ticket with Unites miles .
I check online but unable to find out the requirement of Covid-19 rule for Hong Kong and Taipei .

1) Can anyone please advise , for passenger transit at HKG airport and TPe airport, does it requires PRC testing to be done before arrival and departure at these airports .

FYI the segment BBK- HKG ( flight with Thai Airways) HKG- TPE -SFO ( flight with EVA)

2) Which business lounge is best to choose at HKG airport .

Please advise and thank you.

I'm going to HKG, not TPE, so I can share what I found out yesterday about HKG Covid testing.

https://www.hketony.gov.hk/entry-to-hk.html

Just go back to yesterday's discussion if you want to read the discussion I had with some other FTers. I also included a Trip Advisor link.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 4:56 pm

I'm going to HKG, not TPE, so I can share what I found out yesterday about HKG Covid testing.

https://www.hketony.gov.hk/entry-to-hk.html

Just go back to yesterday's discussion if you want to read the discussion I had with some other FTers. I also included a Trip Advisor link.
Thanks for sharing . With current rules, the RAT or PRC test is required before boarding the flight to Hong Kong . By any chanes, do you know if any testing is required to exit Hong Kong .

To update:
Thanks you ALL for your help so far . I am able to change my flight with United and now have 1 only connection at TPE .

Last edited by vnfilm1; Mar 17, 2023 at 12:57 pm
Old Mar 16, 2023, 5:28 pm

No tests are required to leave HK unless your destination requires tests.
lsquare and royng like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:46 am

Transit through hkg last week. There is no requirement at all.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by vnfilm1
= Can anyone please advise , for passenger transit at HKG airport and TPe airport.
Airline and airport websites should make this clear, but it seems not as these questions keep coming.

Neither airport requires anything for transiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.