Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Transit at HKG - current situation (merged thread)

Old Sep 8, 2021, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

What is the current situation for airside transit in HKG? Is there any vaccination and/or test requirements for transit pax? Are they allowed to go to a lounge (if any are operating) or are they put into a designated area immediately after deplane like in SIN?

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
You must be on the same ticket but you don't have to be vaccinated or have a negative Covid test. The CX Wing J class lounge is open for transit pax and you can roam around but you'll have a sticker on you that says 'transfer'.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:37 am

As to not open another thread along this same topic, just want to make sure I'm understanding the rules as I have flights coming up over the next several months that I booked optimistically hoping things would open up. If my current ticket is to HKG and I book another separate ticket, whether on miles or cash to another destination (say, Thailand), this would not be allowed? I've done this many times prior to covid and I've always had my ongoing boarding pass on me so I can utilize the transfer areas of HKIA. Even if I showed up for my flight in DFW to HKG with my second boarding pass already printed, the way I understand is AA might not let me on the flight b/c my connecting flight is not on the same PNR/ticket as my DFW-HKG flight?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
As to not open another thread along this same topic, just want to make sure I'm understanding the rules as I have flights coming up over the next several months that I booked optimistically hoping things would open up. If my current ticket is to HKG and I book another separate ticket, whether on miles or cash to another destination (say, Thailand), this would not be allowed? I've done this many times prior to covid and I've always had my ongoing boarding pass on me so I can utilize the transfer areas of HKIA. Even if I showed up for my flight in DFW to HKG with my second boarding pass already printed, the way I understand is AA might not let me on the flight b/c my connecting flight is not on the same PNR/ticket as my DFW-HKG flight?
You won't be allowed to board the flight to HKG unless you have a connection on the same ticket/PNR.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 12:47 am

Are there any airside hotel or private rest areas for overnight transits?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Transiting Hong Kong HKG - separate tickets

Has anyone tried transiting Hong Kong with 2 separate tickets?
(e.g. one ticket landing in HKG on a different record locator from the other ticket)
I'm trying to book a PEK-HKG on Cathay and an HKG-DFW on AA.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 2:04 am
R2

Originally Posted by krazieman
Has anyone tried transiting Hong Kong with 2 separate tickets?
(e.g. one ticket landing in HKG on a different record locator from the other ticket)
I'm trying to book a PEK-HKG on Cathay and an HKG-DFW on AA.
I'm sure some people have tried this. I'm equally sure they have been denied boarding. The rules are very clear on this:

'Passengers transiting through HK SAR China must have a connecting flight booked on the same ticket.'
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:23 am

How long can the "connection" be?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by the188
How long can the "connection" be?
Up to 24 hours.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by realgaga
You won't be allowed to board the flight to HKG unless you have a connection on the same ticket/PNR.
I have a single agency confirmation PNR, but two separate flight PNR's, one for the inbound to HKG and one for the onward flight 8 hours later. The two airlines have an Interlining Agreement (Virgin Atlantic & Hong Kong Airlines). Is this OK for transit or is a single flight PNR strictly required ?
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by PantsOnFire
I have a single agency confirmation PNR, but two separate flight PNR's, one for the inbound to HKG and one for the onward flight 8 hours later. The two airlines have an Interlining Agreement (Virgin Atlantic & Hong Kong Airlines). Is this OK for transit or is a single flight PNR strictly required ?
Iff Virgin issue you an outbound boarding pass for the HKA outbound flight which will not happen with two airline PNR/tickets.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:17 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by tentseller
Iff Virgin issue you an outbound boarding pass for the HKA outbound flight which will not happen with two airline PNR/tickets.
I am not sure from the OP's post if this is a single PNR or not. Airlines sometimes issue their own additional PNR just for the one segment on that airline which could be what OP is referring to. However it is not clear from what was written. But as I see it three important points: one PNR covering all segments for the whole journey from the airline issuing the ticket. Second, Virgin must check luggage through to the final destination and issue the boarding pass for the onward connection from HKG. Third, OP must be eligible to enter the country of the final destination transiting through HK (i.e. not China). .

From the HK Airport website:
Air transit/transfer services at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) have resumed gradually. From 15 June 2020, passengers can use HKIA for transit/transfer on flights operated by different airlines under the same air ticket, provided that the passengers have checked through at the origin port with their boarding passes printed and baggage tagged-through to the final destination. Passengers should also confirm in advance that they are able to enter the final destination. Please check with airlines for details.

So not knowing when or to where OP is traveling, it looks like this could possibly work provided those three conditions met. I have no knowledge of anyone with a combination Virgin/HX ticket, so take this with a grain of salt. I do know more people are transiting HKG now.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by uanj

From the HK Airport website:
Air transit/transfer services at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) have resumed gradually. From 15 June 2020, passengers can use HKIA for transit/transfer on flights operated by different airlines under the same air ticket, provided that the passengers have checked through at the origin port with their boarding passes printed and baggage tagged-through to the final destination. Passengers should also confirm in advance that they are able to enter the final destination. Please check with airlines for details.
Interesting to note that this rule (under the same ticket) has been in place since 15 June, 2020. Does anyone have any data / info on how effective it has been in achieving it's goal (is it minimizing covid cases etc)? Meanwhile, from the few queries, I think it has caused major travel problems for many.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Interesting to note that this rule (under the same ticket) has been in place since 15 June, 2020. Does anyone have any data / info on how effective it has been in achieving it's goal (is it minimizing covid cases etc)? Meanwhile, from the few queries, I think it has caused major travel problems for many.
The goal of this policy isn't to minimise Covid-19 cases but to ensure transit passengers won't get stuck in HKG where they can't enter which can happen for self-connects.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Are there any Star Alliance lounges opened at HKIA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.