Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:12 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
China coronavirus: as travel ban is issued for Wuhan, many in city rush to escape
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...esidents-wuhan

Finally, and not a minute too soon. They should have quarantined the whole city the second this showed human transmition
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Man any kind of masks are literally disappearing in real time here.

I went to a Target, then a Rite Aid. I was checking online which some drug store chains show inventory at their stores.

And a couple of them disappeared between the time I checked and the time I checked again before I was about to leave.

Target has their own brand and now it doesn't even appear as available online!

I'm in a SJ suburb with a large Chinese population. There are probably people who go back and forth from this area to China a lot. Or maybe they're hoarding to send to relatives over there.

Amazon shows little availability.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:38 pm

I still see a fair number of N95 masks on Amazon with "free" shipping to HK on a min US$49 aggregate order. But you have to search "n95" only. Search "n95 mask" and you don't get much. Still, who knows the situation tomorrow.

Obviously the Government should just buy 100 million masks and hand them out on street corners.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:43 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 889
I still see a fair number of N95 masks on Amazon with "free" shipping to HK on a min US$49 aggregate order. But you have to search "n95" only. Search "n95 mask" and you don't get much. Still, who knows the situation tomorrow.

Obviously the Government should just buy 100 million masks and hand them out on street corners.
The government is known to do the exact opposite of what it should in almost every situation lately.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:13 am

People who may have had contact with infected persons are apparently now themselves being moved to quarantine camps in Hong Kong.

From The Standard:

"A man visiting Hong Kong from Australia has become one of the first people to be quarantined becaue he had stayed at the same hotel where a local man confirmed to have the Wuhan virus had checked into, RTHK reports. The visitor was moved in a government vehicle to a quarantine center set up at the Lady MacLehose Holiday Village in Sai Kung. He told reporters he did not feel sick. 'I feel so good right now,' he said. Asked whether he had been told the reason for isolation, he said: 'I have no idea why. I was just living in the hotel.'"

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...uarantine-camp
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Wow, I don't know what to do. We have dream vacation with J class tickets on CX to HKG and then on to Amanpulo in early Feb. I imagine it would be hard to change these tickets as they were booked with points. LAX-HKG-MNL. and then to Amanpulo. The return is identical. Staying at the IC in HKG from Feb7-11. And just as i was starting to feel better about the riots this happens!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Wow, I don't know what to do. We have dream vacation with J class tickets on CX to HKG and then on to Amanpulo in early Feb. I imagine it would be hard to change these tickets as they were booked with points. LAX-HKG-MNL. and then to Amanpulo. The return is identical. Staying at the IC in HKG from Feb7-11. And just as i was starting to feel better about the riots this happens!
Personally, I would enjoy my vacation as planned.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC - 75K Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy - Titanium Elite
I have a 3 hour layover in HKG and got some masks, hand sanitizer and wet ones. Will wipe down my area thoroughly. Not worried but not taking chances either. I’m flying Cathay in J class as well.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We too, will be transiting thru HK in early Feb. Have a few hours layover, planned to be in Bus club, have a drink and snack.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by neotraveller
I have a 3 hour layover in HKG and got some masks, hand sanitizer and wet ones. Will wipe down my area thoroughly. Not worried but not taking chances either. I’m flying Cathay in J class as well.
Exactly what I've done. I have transits through HKG, SZX, and PEK in the next month or so. N99 mask, wipes, sanitizer.
neotraveller likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: Star Alliance
I have 3 hours in HKG on Tuesday, not going to lie I am a bit concerned but I'm hoping with the travel bans in place for a lot of cities now that it shouldn't be that much of a threat in HKG.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I would not be concerned if we were just having a simple layover, however we have 5 days in HKG and frankly I don't trust the Chinese gov in what they may or may not be telling us.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:43 am

Arrived at HKG for a nightly layover, leaving this morning to Thailand.
On my US outbound flight, few people in masks, at the airport I'd say 70% of the people in masks. Otherwise not much disruption, they did have a checkpoint with body thermometers everyone went through but I didn't see anyone get selected for a check.
At my hotel (Marriott SkyCity) most staff in masks but a lot less of the guests, compared to the airport.
For my connection where I'm in Economy and which is filled to the brim, I'm gonna mask up as well, the hotel has provided upon request.
I'm cautious but optimistic given that at least the known transmission doesn't seem too aggressive (i.e. airborne). Still, scary stuff.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
In one of the articles I read, they said regular flu and measles are greater threats still.

Dang am I going to have to pack Purell? I guess you need something with heavy alcohol content. Not sure wipes have that.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
I would not be concerned if we were just having a simple layover, however we have 5 days in HKG and frankly I don't trust the Chinese gov in what they may or may not be telling us.
I don't want to make you even more nervous, but a Chinese friend in the UK has acquaintances and cousins in HK and is telling me that they all believe there are more cases than are being reported in the news.

It's an issue for me too, but still a bit distant, as I am not scheduled to be there until April.
wrp96 and 1readyset2go like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.