Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver / LH SEN
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I don't want to make you even more nervous, but a Chinese friend in the UK has acquaintances and cousins in HK and is telling me that they all believe there are more cases than are being reported in the news.

It's an issue for me too, but still a bit distant, as I am not scheduled to be there until April.
Not sure if we need more hearsay?
Chinatrvl likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:20 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Czerwinski
Not sure if we need more hearsay?
I think there's a general belief that the true amount of cases is 2-10x official numbers. Lots of anecdotal evidence pointing to this. (e.g. patriotic virus bit). Very valid to talk about.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:59 pm

No, I think we're all just supposed to read China Daily. And believe.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I don't want to make you even more nervous, but a Chinese friend in the UK has acquaintances and cousins in HK and is telling me that they all believe there are more cases than are being reported in the news.

It's an issue for me too, but still a bit distant, as I am not scheduled to be there until April.
That's not even a question. Some people would refuse to go to hospital until it gets very serious anyway.

However regardless of the numbers now the risk profile is still the same, the question is whether to come or not. It is better not to come if it makes you feel better. Have a plan B and be prepare to execute it if needed.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Well as you'll recall… I was not one bit worried about the protests and had no issues living right in the middle of it.

This has got me to evacuate HK for a while. I'm chilling in Singapore for now while this develops and hoping it'll be better handled here.

I do not trust the HK govt, nor do I trust the proximity to China (land border with infested Shenzhen for example)
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Here's me hoping Lufthansa will offer free refunds to Hong Kong.
They already offering for mainland China.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Fingers crossed that UA will add free changes to HKG to this list of cities.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Dang I have an award on CX. Think I'm stuck flying in a couple of weeks.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:45 am

People forget, that influenza results in up to 60,000 deaths and up to 800,000 in hospital in the US during one flu season. In Germany we had 25,000 deaths by influenza during one season a few years ago. Not sure, if people avoided traveling to the US or Germany because of that.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
You Tube "black head down" for more stuff on Wuhan.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:49 pm

If you're resident in Hubei or have been there in the past 14 days, you won't be admitted to Hong Kong starting today, Monday, unless you're a HK resident.

I'd be cautious about planning a trip in February or March that involves a stop in Hong Kong after visiting the Mainland, since there's a risk that this restriction will be expanded, depending on spread of the disease.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by 889
If you're resident in Hubei or have been there in the past 14 days, you won't be admitted to Hong Kong starting today, Monday, unless you're a HK resident.

I'd be cautious about planning a trip in February or March that involves a stop in Hong Kong after visiting the Mainland, since there's a risk that this restriction will be expanded, depending on spread of the disease.
Is this very likely to happen? I play on going to HK from Nanjing in mid-March, and I might be SOL if the announcement is made closer to March.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
Is this very likely to happen? I play on going to HK from Nanjing in mid-March, and I might be SOL if the announcement is made closer to March.
I would have a plan B and C if I were you.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:16 pm

Who knows how the epidemic will develop.

The underlying issue is that these blocks come out of the blue, with no warning.

As well, restricting visitors when they declare they've been to Hubei is not likely to work. Folks don't want to end up turned back or in quarantine. So they don't declare their Hubei visit. That may force HK authorities to take far more comprehensive measures.
MSPeconomist and tentseller like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
Who knows how the epidemic will develop.

The underlying issue is that these blocks come out of the blue, with no warning.

As well, restricting visitors when they declare they've been to Hubei is not likely to work. Folks don't want to end up turned back or in quarantine. So they don't declare their Hubei visit. That may force HK authorities to take far more comprehensive measures.
There are mounting calls to close the border with China entirely. That would be drastic.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.