Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Old Jan 26, 20, 9:02 pm
  #76  
889
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,652
It's not just spread of the virus that's a concern.

There's also a concern that if the epidemic widens on the Mainland, people there who are ill -- with any disease -- will flock to Hong Kong for care rather than risk entering a Mainland hospital. That could easily swamp the territory's medical facilities.

My own suspicion is that the Government's hand will be forced at some point and much stronger measures will be introduced.
MSPeconomist and tentseller like this.
889 is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 9:25 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Tennessee
Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Posts: 606
Fortunately we will be coming from the US and do not have any stops in mainland China. I just hope really drastic measures are not taken and we end up not being allowed to leave HGK on Feb12 for our flight to MNL. We will only have to transit thru the HKG airport on the return. I will get N95 masks. Personally I am a little concerned, but not enough to keep me away. It takes an awful lot to scare me.
1readyset2go is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 11:56 pm
  #78  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Posts: 15,381
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go View Post
Fortunately we will be coming from the US and do not have any stops in mainland China. I just hope really drastic measures are not taken and we end up not being allowed to leave HGK on Feb12 for our flight to MNL.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
I ran the link posted in the Chinese forum thread through translation software and it appears Hong Kong are readying themselves for a spike or peak of cases around the 10th February as this is when many people will be returning to/from mainland China en masse after the holidays.

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
CNA quoted Wuhan's mayor

Apple Daily repeated the quote https://s.nextmedia.com/realtime/a.p...096&a=60524304
LapLap is online now  
Old Jan 27, 20, 8:57 am
  #79  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,215
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
I ran the link posted in the Chinese forum thread through translation software and it appears Hong Kong are readying themselves for a spike or peak of cases around the 10th February as this is when many people will be returning to/from mainland China en masse after the holidays.
Feb 2 and 9 will be the major post CNY travel return dates for people returning to work. If anything major breaks in HK it will be after these two dates.

Let's HOPE that the present authorities have learned from 2003 Sars and their recent errors in judgments and act accordingly.
tentseller is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:19 am
  #80  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Escondido CA USA
Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Posts: 3,130
Okay, we are worried. Routing SAN-LAX-HKG-DPS, departing 8PM Feb 3. Taking a Bali visit and cruise out of Benoa. You crystal ball readers...what is the chance in this remaining week that this routing will not be allowed (China, CDC, USA)? Booking thru Regent Seven Seas. We are 75, but our main concern is being locked our of our trip, or worse, locked into HKG indefinitely! We are checking some other routing, but are not in control. Most go thru TPE, perhaps a worse choice. A couple others thru NRT/SIN are tight connections.

At least we have some options, like cancel our 45th anniversary trip...we do feel sorry for those caught up in this mess in China. We pray for them that this is not any bigger that "normal". PS, the cruise is to and partway around Australia...they have their issues now as well.
ranles is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 12:19 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Posts: 3,508
Originally Posted by ranles View Post
Okay, we are worried. Routing SAN-LAX-HKG-DPS, departing 8PM Feb 3. Taking a Bali visit and cruise out of Benoa. You crystal ball readers...what is the chance in this remaining week that this routing will not be allowed (China, CDC, USA)? Booking thru Regent Seven Seas. We are 75, but our main concern is being locked our of our trip, or worse, locked into HKG indefinitely! We are checking some other routing, but are not in control. Most go thru TPE, perhaps a worse choice. A couple others thru NRT/SIN are tight connections.

At least we have some options, like cancel our 45th anniversary trip...we do feel sorry for those caught up in this mess in China. We pray for them that this is not any bigger that "normal". PS, the cruise is to and partway around Australia...they have their issues now as well.
In a situation that keeps changing daily, a week is a long time from now.
STS-134 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 12:38 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Posts: 5,071
This is the problem with HKG being such a pivotal hub for SE Asia, anything happens it will be a major choke point to the regional air traffic.
nk15 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 2:50 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: RIC
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Posts: 3,042
Originally Posted by ranles View Post
Okay, we are worried. Routing SAN-LAX-HKG-DPS, departing 8PM Feb 3. Taking a Bali visit and cruise out of Benoa. You crystal ball readers...what is the chance in this remaining week that this routing will not be allowed (China, CDC, USA)? Booking thru Regent Seven Seas. We are 75, but our main concern is being locked our of our trip, or worse, locked into HKG indefinitely! We are checking some other routing, but are not in control. Most go thru TPE, perhaps a worse choice. A couple others thru NRT/SIN are tight connections.
TPE should not be worse than HKG. Personally I would connect through SIN with a tight connection. There are enough flights from SIN-DPS.
MSPeconomist likes this.
CIT85 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 3:27 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Posts: 3,508
Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
TPE should not be worse than HKG. Personally I would connect through SIN with a tight connection. There are enough flights from SIN-DPS.
You can also connect through EK @ DXB, which avoids the Asian mainland entirely.
MSPeconomist likes this.
STS-134 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 6:26 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 102
Now lots of public venues are being closed to avoid spreading the virus through mass gatherings.
I'm flying back through HKG today, not looking forward to it.
matt85 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 6:37 pm
  #86  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bay Area
Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Posts: 12,730
So would they close down the usual attractions, the Peak, Ngong Ping, etc?
wco81 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 6:43 pm
  #87  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,133
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So would they close down the usual attractions, the Peak, Ngong Ping, etc?
The logic would suggest closing any attractions that result in people being in close proximity to strangers. This would include the tram to the Peak, many museums (especially those that have entry lines or tend to be crowded), the racecourse, Disney, etc. I'd add the Star Ferry and subway/bus system, but they're important for normal life in Hong Kong, including basic transportation to/from essential jobs.

They could try to be a bit more sophisticated and close any additional attractions that are believed to attract visitors from mainland China or those who have recently been in mainland China, but it's hard to imagine what such "attractions" could be other that modern medical facilities.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 6:48 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: GTA
Programs: AC - 50K Star Alliance Gold, Bonvoy - Titanium Elite
Posts: 24
Just went through my 2 hour layover in HKG. Lots of people wearing masks but other than that, smooth sailing.
1readyset2go likes this.
neotraveller is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 9:12 pm
  #89  
889
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,652
It looks like there'll be a work-from-home movement starting Wednesday.

Libraries, swimming pools, museums and such are also being closed.

EDIT: Tuesday afternoon and the DAB has just joined the call for closing the Mainland border points. (The DAB is more-or-less the pro-Government pro-Beijing political party.)

A quick stroll through a couple of big supermarkets showed them packed with Mainland shoppers. Coudn't help but think they were trying to do some final shopping before the border shuts. But who knows.

FURTHER EDIT: The Government has announced that flights between the Mainland and Hong Kong will be cut by half in order to curtail spread of the virus. HSR and through train services are being halted as of Thursday midnight. Cross-border ferries and buses are also affected, and a couple of minor border crossings closed.

Last edited by 889; Jan 28, 20 at 2:38 am
889 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:39 pm
  #90  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Escondido CA USA
Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Posts: 3,130
Thanks

CDC is saying not to do unnecessary travel to China. I worry mostly about getting to HKG and not being able to get out! Also CDC making travel unavailable. So I have asked that we be rerouted. They (TA and R7S) should get back to me tomorrow (/Tuesday)? or Wed. Booking in J
Lots thru TPE: SAN-LAX (various) to TPE on CA7 then onto CA 771 all with long layovers (3-4 hours)
For SIN, SAN-LAX to SIN SA 37 then SA 942 Tight SIN-DPS
I do know what we have to do arriving at TPE or SIN about id and recheck luggage on a pass thru. I will check flights again. It was In April or May 2019 that I was booked for the flights
IK @dxb? I'll check it out
ranles is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: