Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dim Sum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:07 am

Restaurants for the most part serve dim sum until the afternoon, but there are dim sum only restaurants like Tim Ho Wan that serve it throughout the day. You could consider that option (there's one at Hong Kong Station).

Haven't been to Luk Yu so can't give any advice there.

Lin Heung is for the quintessential more working class (unlike Luk Yu) dim sum experience. Which means lots of fat and lard, sharing tables, high levels of noise, having to wait for food you want on the carts (thankfully they don't have the buckets for spit anymore).

It's probably worth doing for the experience, and it's not particularly expensive. The food there is old school dim sum (which I personally am not a big fan of), but their "thousand layer cake" is one of my favorite desserts ever.

Originally Posted by jamar
All right, I have a couple questions about going out for dim sum.

I'll be coming to HK with a couple of friends, for whom it'd be their first time in Asia. They're staying to explore a few days, but I've only got a few hours, arriving roughly noon on the 23rd of December and continuing to Shanghai at 9pm, so I figured a meal in the early afternoon, explore the city a bit, then I head onwards to the mainland while they have fun in HK. And I'm asking around here because the last time I've had dim sum in HK was roughly five years ago on a trip with my family.

First, is this timing an issue? (land at noon, clear immigration/customs, train to city, check in, go out for dim sum, total time around 2hr?) From my last trip to HK I'd assumed that dim sum was mostly a morning thing, but I could be wrong about that.

Also, someone earlier mentioned that Luk Yu has good food, but mediocre service if you're not a regular that tips well. Does this mean slow service? Waitstaff attitude issue? Something else? Location looks pretty good otherwise, even if I have to give up "takes credit cards" or "near an MTR station".

I was also looking at was Lin Heung. Is the food good, even if we have to fight for it? I mean, the friends I'm traveling with are the "up for anything type" so it's an experience if nothing else, but maybe we'd rather pass if we end up with OK food at the end of it.

(Those places in particular because they look the most like the place I went to 5 years ago)
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Solo Dining in Hong Kong

I'll be in Hong Kong for a short stay in November, and definitely want to have yum cha while I'm there. The catch is that I am an older woman, cannot walk too far, and I will be traveling solo.

This thread has some useful guidance, but can anyone provide recommendations for good dim sum in the Tsim Sha Tsui area of Kowloon, or in areas nearby that can be easily accessed via the MTR?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
This thread has some useful guidance, but can anyone provide recommendations for good dim sum in the Tsim Sha Tsui area of Kowloon, or in areas nearby that can be easily accessed via the MTR?
Where will you stay exactly?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Where will you stay exactly?
I'll be staying at the Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui during this trip. Your input would be appreciated.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: FT
I'll be staying at the Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui during this trip. Your input would be appreciated.
Celestial Court' in the Sheraton - 20 Nathan Road (450m walk) or Yan Toh Heen inside the Intercontinental (700m walk). You can book YTH online here

https://www.hongkong-ic.dining.intercontinental.com/

Or sun tung lok (650m walk) - http://www.suntunglok.com.hk/index.php/en/
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
Celestial Court' in the Sheraton - 20 Nathan Road (450m walk) or Yan Toh Heen inside the Intercontinental (700m walk). You can book YTH online here

https://www.hongkong-ic.dining.intercontinental.com/

Or sun tung lok (650m walk) - http://www.suntunglok.com.hk/index.php/en/
I gather that these are not the type of neighborhood spots where the locals gather for yum cha ...
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:00 pm

I gather that these are not the type of neighborhood spots where the locals gather for yum cha ...
what exactly are you trying to convey?

you asked for good dim sum. these places serve good dim sum.

perhaps you might have said you want to have cheap marginal dim sum?

the spots i listed are where i have been with my extended family in hong kong? in fact, my wife's cousin lives a block from your hotel so that is his neighborhood?

What an odd post.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:18 pm

what exactly are you trying to convey?

you asked for good dim sum. these places serve good dim sum.

perhaps you might have said you want to have cheap marginal dim sum?

the spots i listed are where i have been with my extended family in hong kong? in fact, my wife's cousin lives a block from your hotel so that is his neighborhood?

What an odd post.

My humble apology - my comment was not intended to provide offense, and I do appreciate your recommendations.

Perhaps I should have said that I was slightly surprised to click on the links and see images of stemware and white table cloths - images that did not come to mind when I thought about yum cha.

Perhaps my cultural ignorance is showing. And for that I am deeply apologetic for offending you.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:51 pm

My humble apology - my comment was not intended to provide offense, and I do appreciate your recommendations.

Perhaps I should have said that I was slightly surprised to click on the links and see images of stemware and white table cloths - images that did not come to mind when I thought about yum cha.

Perhaps my cultural ignorance is showing. And for that I am deeply apologetic for offending you.
I see. Sorry for over reacting....

I am one who has no issue paying for top quality dim sum with top ingredients although i find many seem to expect dim sum to always be super cheap and accept lesser quality. This thread sees so many want to go the cheapest one star place that frankly, I never understand.

I was at the 8 in macau last month and also at fook lam moon which is also great for dim sum....which i would have suggested also...

http://www.fooklammoon-grp.com/en but it is not within walking distance....[actually it is shorter than i thought...but i have only been to the island location and not this one in kowloon...]

One item that I will add is that more high end places are more likely to allow the normal order of 4 items to be split in half. Then you can have more stuff...

Tin Lung Heen is also very nice for the view as is lung king heen on the other side.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
All arguments aside.

1. The closest one is Loong Yuen @ Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong, which is located practically across the same street.

2. If you want to feel the locals, then Tsui Hang Village @ Mira Mall is a decent alternative. It is about 10-15 minute walk from the Hyatt Regency TST.

3. You can always find better dim sum places with money.
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Star of Canton branches at iSquare and The One are quite good. View is nice too.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:38 am

Thank you very much for the input and tips, mkjr, garykung,and JClasstraveller. I appreciate your insight.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:05 pm

I was at the 8 in macau last month and also at fook lam moon which is also great for dim sum....which i would have suggested also...

http://www.fooklammoon-grp.com/en but it is not within walking distance....[actually it is shorter than i thought...but i have only been to the island location and not this one in kowloon...]
Originally Posted by garykung
All arguments aside.

1. The closest one is Loong Yuen @ Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong, which is located practically across the same street.

2. If you want to feel the locals, then Tsui Hang Village @ Mira Mall is a decent alternative. It is about 10-15 minute walk from the Hyatt Regency TST.
Fook Lam Moon is just a stone's throw from the Hyatt. That location doesn't look like much from the outside. You head upstairs and the inside of the restaurant is nice with the typical table cloths, etc. The food is great, but the service is mediocre for the price. Dim sum there is priced on par with IC's YTH, which to me is unacceptable given the poor service and the dodgy street location.

Speaking of YTH, I think it's definitely preferable to Fook Lam Moon given similar price point. Attentive service, nice setting with large windows. But, and this is just a personal opinion, but FLM (and many other places) would take a slight edge over YTH when it comes to the flavour of the dim sum offerings. A lot of YTH's dim sum items taste a bit bland to me, although this is sort of a subtle thing.

Loong Yuen used to be our favorite and we considered it a hidden gem until maybe ~5yrs ago. I feel the quality there dropped off, yet the price is on par with places like Spring Moon.

Spring Moon is overall cheaper than YTH or FLM, yet much better service than FLM and tastier dim sum than YTH imo. Spring Moon is always my choice in TST.

I've heard good things about Celestial Court. But whenever we've stayed at the Sheraton and contemplated eating there, we were always hesistant given the prices that are almost on par with YTH's.

Tsui Han Village is a good rec. I personally have not been there in a few years, though.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by jamescho
Summer Palace at the Shangri-la is pretty good. A bit more expensive, but it's quieter than other places and service is a bit better. Haven't been to dim sum at the Conrad so I can't compare.

Metropol is popular (United Centre), but I don't think it's great. Lippo Chiu Chow (Lippo Centre) is probably the place with both reasonable prices and pretty good food.
I've researched both Summer Palace and Lippo Chiu Chow to the extent possible, but still having a hard time trying to decide between the two.

This time we're in town for only a few days, and we're only going to have time for one dim sum. So obviously we want it to be good. But Summer Palace is almost 2x the cost of Lippo Chiu Chow. Also I love Tim Ho Wan's chiu chow dumpling, and I've noticed that LCC has chiu chow dumpling on its dim sum menu. Then I realized LCC has chiu chow in its name!

I'd imagine it's unfair to compare the two when it comes to service and ambiance. But how would you compare the two in terms of food quality and overall value?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
I've researched both Summer Palace and Lippo Chiu Chow to the extent possible, but still having a hard time trying to decide between the two.

This time we're in town for only a few days, and we're only going to have time for one dim sum. So obviously we want it to be good. But Summer Palace is almost 2x the cost of Lippo Chiu Chow. Also I love Tim Ho Wan's chiu chow dumpling, and I've noticed that LCC has chiu chow dumpling on its dim sum menu. Then I realized LCC has chiu chow in its name!

I'd imagine it's unfair to compare the two when it comes to service and ambiance. But how would you compare the two in terms of food quality and overall value?
Lippo serves the normal dim sum, but also serves Chiu Chow specialties. The chiu chow dumplings are pretty standard in all dim sum restaurants, but there are also things like the vinegar-sugar noodles, Chiu Chow congee (rice in soup), fishball noodles (which Chiu Chow is known for), braised meats (lo shui), etc. that you'd probably only find at Chiu Chow restaurants like Lippo. Their vegetarian duck is really good too if you decide to go there. Portions are pretty good for the price.

Summer Palace serves the typical Cantonese fare, but their dishes more refined and a little more creative. You'd find them putting seafood such as scallops or shrimp in dishes that don't normally have them, or almonds in their sponge cake. Portions are also smaller than what you'd get at Lippo.

It's hard to compare the two since they both serve dishes you can't get at the other. But if I had to compare, I'd say the food at Summer Palace is generally better than at Lippo, but not enormously. I think Lippo is a a good balance between, price, quality, and service/atmosphere. I believe the Shangri-La also offers discounts on the bill if you pay with credit cards from certain banks (HSBC, I believe).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.