Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dim Sum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by jamescho
Lippo serves the normal dim sum, but also serves Chiu Chow specialties. The chiu chow dumplings are pretty standard in all dim sum restaurants, but there are also things like the vinegar-sugar noodles, Chiu Chow congee (rice in soup), fishball noodles (which Chiu Chow is known for), braised meats (lo shui), etc. that you'd probably only find at Chiu Chow restaurants like Lippo. Their vegetarian duck is really good too if you decide to go there. Portions are pretty good for the price.

Summer Palace serves the typical Cantonese fare, but their dishes more refined and a little more creative. You'd find them putting seafood such as scallops or shrimp in dishes that don't normally have them, or almonds in their sponge cake. Portions are also smaller than what you'd get at Lippo.

It's hard to compare the two since they both serve dishes you can't get at the other. But if I had to compare, I'd say the food at Summer Palace is generally better than at Lippo, but not enormously. I think Lippo is a a good balance between, price, quality, and service/atmosphere. I believe the Shangri-La also offers discounts on the bill if you pay with credit cards from certain banks (HSBC, I believe).
Okay, thank you. When I read your post, I looked up Chiu Chow and realized for the first time that it's the name of a city (been going to HK regularly for over a decade, but I don't know anything about the mainland). I thought Chiu Chow was just the name of my favorite dumpling at Tim Ho Wan.

Asides from those Chiu Chow regional things, it's not like this restaurant puts some sort of 'Chiu Chow style spin' on all the usual Cantonese dim sum items (hargow, char siu bao, etc), correct?

All in all, I am leaning towards Lippi CC now. Being an acclaimed hotel restaurant, I guess it's no surprise that Summer Palace sounds pretty much along the lines of Shang's and Yan Toh Heen. And if you don't think the quality is that much better, then it would not be worth paying 2x.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Okay, thank you. When I read your post, I looked up Chiu Chow and realized for the first time that it's the name of a city (been going to HK regularly for over a decade, but I don't know anything about the mainland). I thought Chiu Chow was just the name of my favorite dumpling at Tim Ho Wan.

Asides from those Chiu Chow regional things, it's not like this restaurant puts some sort of 'Chiu Chow style spin' on all the usual Cantonese dim sum items (hargow, char siu bao, etc), correct?

All in all, I am leaning towards Lippi CC now. Being an acclaimed hotel restaurant, I guess it's no surprise that Summer Palace sounds pretty much along the lines of Shang's and Yan Toh Heen. And if you don't think the quality is that much better, then it would not be worth paying 2x.
That's correct. The usual dim sum items are made in the typical Cantonese way. They have a good variety of desserts as well if you're a fan of sweets.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:14 pm

Okay, thank you! You've been a great help.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
There's some great information on this thread - thanks to all who have contributed opinion and recommendations.

I'm printed the posts to a PDF so I'll be able to easily reference them during travel.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by jamar
Also, someone earlier mentioned that Luk Yu has good food, but mediocre service if you're not a regular that tips well. Does this mean slow service? Waitstaff attitude issue? Something else? Location looks pretty good otherwise, even if I have to give up "takes credit cards" or "near an MTR station".
attitude mostly. not worth the hassle or money.

I once went with my friend during CNY and every staff member in the restaurant front and back lined up to collect red packet from her.

Then a race horse owner showed up. All attention turned to his table and ours was ignored thereafter.

My feeling (after several visits) is that they are all "old style" restaurant workers, no modern hospitality training or much education in general.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Justdifferent in culture. From the food style (many dishes u cant find elsewhere that looks for good margins) to the service.
I guess the same tipping culture exists in the US. If you dont tip well(not to mention tipping or not) and you're a returning customer, you are definately getting mediocre service. I dont personally see much difference u tip before or after your patron (if you are a regular... or even not)
Originally Posted by beep88
attitude mostly. not worth the hassle or money.

I once went with my friend during CNY and every staff member in the restaurant front and back lined up to collect red packet from her.

Then a race horse owner showed up. All attention turned to his table and ours was ignored thereafter.

My feeling (after several visits) is that they are all "old style" restaurant workers, no modern hospitality training or much education in general.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
There is now a restaurant in Pacific Place called Dim Sum Library, thinking it's new-ish (or I've missed it multiple times at Conrad over the years!). Looks like it'll be an option for solo dining, anyone have an opinion? TIA
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:22 am

Exactly a year ago, I asked about the best reasonably-priced dim sum in Admiralty. Ended up going to Lippi Chiu Chow last year. Glad I went, as it was a new place I hadn't tried yet and the food was quite decent. There was one stand-out dim sum item - this fried shrimp thing that came with this incredible spicy mayo dip. On the other hand, some of the other things we ordered (eg, hargow, chiu chow dumplings) didn't blow me away. Considering the food quality and the rather casual service and ambiance, I felt that the price was rather steep. I've been to Metropole before, which didn't blow me away either. I don't remember either place well enough now to be able to say which was better. Hate to say it but, while Crystal Jade isn't Cantonese and it's a completely different category of restaurant than we're discussing here, I still haven't found a place I like more in Admiralty.

Anyways, heading back next month to Conrad. Thinking about doing Summer Palace at Shangri-la this time. It's quite a bit pricier than I'd like. But I don't know where else to try. Looking for a place in Admiralty on par with Pen's Spring Moon in terms of taste, service and ambiance. Is there anywhere else I should consider? I'd love to hear about another dim sum place that's just as good, but cheaper than Summer Palace.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
There is now a restaurant in Pacific Place called Dim Sum Library, thinking it's new-ish (or I've missed it multiple times at Conrad over the years!). Looks like it'll be an option for solo dining, anyone have an opinion? TIA
​​​​
New fusion dim sum with exotic ingredients. They do do a good matching unlike some places with Jambon Iberico and Truffle randomly added.
I think they have been there since CNY 2017.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Anyways, heading back next month to Conrad. Thinking about doing Summer Palace at Shangri-la this time. It's quite a bit pricier than I'd like. But I don't know where else to try. Looking for a place in Admiralty on par with Pen's Spring Moon in terms of taste, service and ambiance. Is there anywhere else I should consider? I'd love to hear about another dim sum place that's just as good, but cheaper than Summer Palace.
This new Dim Sum Library is right there! Will make an effort to try it next week.

Originally Posted by tentseller
​​​​
New fusion dim sum with exotic ingredients. They do do a good matching unlike some places with Jambon Iberico and Truffle randomly added.
Yup, opened Jan 2017, found in a review!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I recommend Duddell's in Central for dim sum in a fancy setting: (2 Michelin stars)
http://duddells.co/home/en/
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
​​​​
I've had a look at their menu and also looked at the photos on openrice. Some of the stuff sounds really intriguing, although our kids will be with us and they're not willing to explore beyond hargau, xlb, char siu so/bao, spring rolls. Black truffle hargau sounds amazing, but they will raise a fuss when they see little black dots. We may still decide to drag them along.

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
This new Dim Sum Library is right there! Will make an effort to try it next week.
If you go, I'd love to hear what you think.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Black truffle hargau sounds amazing, but they will raise a fuss when they see little black dots. We may still decide to drag them along.
Be careful what you wish for - my parents ended up with a 7yr old begging for caviar all the time [she was - and still is - easily distracted by cheaper salty fish eggs, like greek taroma, but still ]
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If you go, I'd love to hear what you think.
It is traditional dim sum methodology with a change in the ingredients as well as the skin/wrapper.
I find is a good refreshing change.
Two other places like this are: Yum Cha and the Social Place further west.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by zip10001
I recommend Duddell's in Central for dim sum in a fancy setting: (2 Michelin stars)
http://duddells.co/home/en/
It's pretty mediocre and full of star-chasing poser beautiful people. For that price point, head over to Lung King Heen at the FS, or the Man Wah at the Mandarin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.