FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dim Sum
Thread: Dim Sum
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:05 pm
evergrn

Originally Posted by mkjr
I was at the 8 in macau last month and also at fook lam moon which is also great for dim sum....which i would have suggested also...

http://www.fooklammoon-grp.com/en but it is not within walking distance....[actually it is shorter than i thought...but i have only been to the island location and not this one in kowloon...]
Originally Posted by garykung
All arguments aside.

1. The closest one is Loong Yuen @ Holiday Inn Golden Mile Hong Kong, which is located practically across the same street.

2. If you want to feel the locals, then Tsui Hang Village @ Mira Mall is a decent alternative. It is about 10-15 minute walk from the Hyatt Regency TST.
Fook Lam Moon is just a stone's throw from the Hyatt. That location doesn't look like much from the outside. You head upstairs and the inside of the restaurant is nice with the typical table cloths, etc. The food is great, but the service is mediocre for the price. Dim sum there is priced on par with IC's YTH, which to me is unacceptable given the poor service and the dodgy street location.

Speaking of YTH, I think it's definitely preferable to Fook Lam Moon given similar price point. Attentive service, nice setting with large windows. But, and this is just a personal opinion, but FLM (and many other places) would take a slight edge over YTH when it comes to the flavour of the dim sum offerings. A lot of YTH's dim sum items taste a bit bland to me, although this is sort of a subtle thing.

Loong Yuen used to be our favorite and we considered it a hidden gem until maybe ~5yrs ago. I feel the quality there dropped off, yet the price is on par with places like Spring Moon.

Spring Moon is overall cheaper than YTH or FLM, yet much better service than FLM and tastier dim sum than YTH imo. Spring Moon is always my choice in TST.

I've heard good things about Celestial Court. But whenever we've stayed at the Sheraton and contemplated eating there, we were always hesistant given the prices that are almost on par with YTH's.

Tsui Han Village is a good rec. I personally have not been there in a few years, though.