Search

Dual nationality - BNO and HKID

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:03 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by percysmith
Currently no but historically I have a handful of cases I dealt with that disproves this:

I have no direct cases from NZ, but I assume Australia across the Tasman isn't materially divergent:

I've explained above how some changes from other CANZUK passport authorities are non-voluntary.

At least the Australian Passports Office will accept a (local) marriage certificate (or a foreign one filed with Australian Passports Office), it seems HMPO will not do so.[/left]
Yup, while nobody in my family has a BN(O), those who have HKIDs all have their names in English as:
- CHAN, Tai Man
or
- CHAN, Tai Man John

and Canadian or Australian passports are
CHAN << JOHN < TAI < MAN

All of us migrated to CA/AU or were born there before 1990. Maybe they are stricter nowadays.

Some of them have drivers licenses (and other CA/AU documents) just as John Chan. This once caused a problem when driving in HK, but producing the foreign passport resolved the issue immediately.

Those with British citizen passports are all
CHAN << TAI < MAN < JOHN

except me, because I removed the Romanisation of my Chinese name from my English-language documents to avoid being called Tai Chan.

As with percysmith, I don't know anyone close enough who would be willing to show me their NZ passport and HKIDs just to prove a point.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dave510
Once again, purely academic differences.

What difference does it make whether China officially called Gui Minhai a Chinese national or not? The fact is China will kidnap you from another country, detain you with no access to counsel, coerce a confession and not care at all about whatever protection you claim to have from your consulate. A foreign citizenship and renouncing your Chinese nationality does absolutely nothing for you when you're within Chinese (and their friendly neighbor's) borders. What good did Gui Minhai's foreign nationality do? Absolutely nothing.
the latest episode is that, the China man kidnapped Gui in front of Swede diplomats.
so going to or near china ure exposing urself to this
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 3:39 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
The other alternative to name change is to let your other-western passport expire. Then during this time before you renew it, apply for the UK passport. You have one less "valid" passport to submit and therefore everything "valid" will match. Then you renew your other passport. Repeat every 11 years.
unless someone tried this, this makes it rather inconvinient and prone to queries on why one doesnt travel a lot on hksar pp
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by kaka

unless someone tried this, this makes it rather inconvinient and prone to queries on why one doesnt travel a lot on hksar pp
Huh?

How HkCaGu's suggested solution works is, suppose British passport expires 2018 and HKSAR passport expires 2022.

You can't renew the British passport because the HKSAR passport has your name differently and you don't want to change it, and you don't want to lie.

So you let the British passport expire in 2018 (if it's BN(O), no great loss - does anyone really use it to travel nowadays?). After the HKSAR passport expires in 2022, you reapply for the British passport. As HMPO only requires you to submit all valid passports, there is no need to submit the expired HKSAR one.

Once you have your British passport, you can renew the HKSAR passport without needing to change the name, and now the expiry dates are aligned. So in 2032 you wait until the HKSAR passport has expired, then a few weeks later you again renew the British passport without needing to submit the HKSAR one.

It is only inconvenient if you want to travel on the British passport between 2018-2022. Then the only options are to change your name properly, or "lose" the HK passport.

Spent about HK$1000 total in changing the English name on my HKID and HKSAR passport to match my name in the US passport.... Chinese name untouched.

btw, when I changed my name on my HKID, I did not need to pay anything except the fee for a new card, I just went to Home Affairs Department - Public Services - Public Enquiry Service - Services Provided and made a declaration (宣誓).

Last edited by :D!; Feb 2, 2018 at 6:49 am
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by :D!
btw, when I changed my name on my HKID, I did not need to pay anything except the fee for a new card, I just went to Home Affairs Department - Public Services - Public Enquiry Service - Services Provided and made a declaration (宣誓).
Well for assurance I sent photocopies of the deed poll done in HK, plus the new ID and the new HKSAR passport (every empty, new page in color). They already have color photocopies of my US passport, old ID, old HKSAR passport before their refusal to renew. Deed poll can be done in HK for HK$500, new HKID around HK$400, new passport (no extension, original expiration date) around HK$80. Plus some FedEx etc. fees.

The "intentionally don't renew" strategy I mentioned is easier for ones holding a third passport, especially US citizens. If I had to fly in and out of the US during the gap, I can use a passport card to drive/bus between Bellingham/Buffalo and Vancouver/Toronto and use the HKSAR/BNO passport to fly. (US passport card, of course, needs not be photocopied to HMPO.) Maybe not as easy for Aussies/Kiwis.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SQ PPS, IHG Platinum, HH Gold
You get the point here. So for all the while HK Immigration records CHAN TAI MAN JOHN, but in CA/AU/NZ the same person is named JOHN TAI MAN CHAN.
This is exactly the issue here. On my expired BNO I had TAI MAN JOHN,CHAN so to keep things simple it should be left as is, but now they are now saying that they want me to do a name change because on my NZ passport I am listed as JOHN TAI MAN CHAN.

In a way this seems to me that they are now holding me responsible for HK Immigration screwing this up.

"BN(O) are issued based on the name on the birth certificate/HKID unless the applicant has proper court document showing name change." - so since my last BNO was listed as TAI MAN JOHN CHAN I am just trying to keep it simple by leaving it as is but they are now saying that because my name appears in my NZ passport is JOHN TAI MAN CHAN so they are asking for a name change.
I have never done a name change and my name remains unchanged since birth only with the order changed at the time I acquired my first NZ passport. The NZ authority was happy to consider JOHN TAI MAN CHAN as identical to TAI MAN JOHN CHAN so I didn't have to do anything to have my name re-arranged.
As far as HK documents go I believe the vast majority of people have their name recorded by HK Immigration as CHAN TAI MAN JOHN so I suspect this is where the root problem lies.

" Originally Posted by ! Since about 2015, HMPO requires submission of all valid passports from any country to renew a British passport, and names on all the passports must match exactly" is probably why they are making this renewal process so complicated.
HMPO is the one that fiddles around all the time. In fact, prior to my 1992-2002 BNO I had a BDTC hand-written passport that listed my name as JOHN CHAN TAI MAN (this, incidentally, was the same format as my dad's first British Subject passport issued back in 1960) so it appears that over the decades they have been changing how names appear but only this time they don't consider these different arrangements are the same.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:41 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
"HMPO is the one that fiddles around all the time. In fact, prior to my 1992-2002 BNO I had a BDTC hand-written passport that listed my name as JOHN CHAN TAI MAN (this, incidentally, was the same format as my dad's first British Subject passport issued back in 1960)"
If you still have that BDTC you can say that the name change already occurred then?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:16 am

US passport card, of course, needs not be photocopied to HMPO.
If the US passport card is a passport, you must send it.

My understanding is that the UK government would follow what the US government says about its own passports. So if the US considers its passport card to be a passport, so would HMPO.

Another solution is to renew in person in the UK using the 4-hour service. Bring the other passport but they won't ask to see it. It costs a lot more though.

Finally my point about the stat dec was that name changes in English-speaking countries are not formal or particularly difficult. In the UK you can do it yourself. In Australia and NZ a Justice of the Peace (not allowed to charge) can witness them and you can easily find a JP service in many courthouses and sometimes in shopping centres.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by my_melody
The NZ authority was happy to consider JOHN TAI MAN CHAN as identical to TAI MAN JOHN CHAN so I didn't have to do anything to have my name re-arranged.
Thanks for the confirmation.

And you indeed answered your concerns - If NZ thinks they are the same, this means that, without changing your name, the best way to do is to change your name on the NZ passport. Then renew your BN(O).

Another alternative is to provide the copy of the HKSAR Passport.

If the US passport card is a passport, you must send it.

My understanding is that the UK government would follow what the US government says about its own passports. So if the US considers its passport card to be a passport, so would HMPO.
I used the U.S. Passport Card only for the BN(O) renewal last time (I have both book and card). HMPO has no issue accepting it. It was a straight renewal without problem.

Another solution is to renew in person in the UK using the 4-hour service. Bring the other passport but they won't ask to see it. It costs a lot more though.
I actually thought about it when I renewed BN(O) last time, as I would be in Belfast when my BN(O) was almost expired (I had the Consulate's extension done in advance). I ended up not doing it as the 4-hour is quite complicated in scheduling.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
That is what I had to do exactly: Spent about HK$1000 total in changing the English name on my HKID and HKSAR passport to match my name in the US passport. I had no significant "stakes" in HK so I just changed the name order. Chinese name untouched.
Changed name order in English on HKID at no cost when exchanging my old thin card from decades ago into the new card (in order to collect $6000).

They only wanted to look at my Canadian documents (passport / driver's licence / government health card) with my name in the various orders, to show that it is indeed the same person.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:12 pm

Yup, while nobody in my family has a BN(O), those who have HKIDs all have their names in English as:
- CHAN, Tai Man
or
- CHAN, Tai Man John

and Canadian or Australian passports are
CHAN << JOHN < TAI < MAN

All of us migrated to CA/AU or were born there before 1990. Maybe they are stricter nowadays.

Some of them have drivers licenses (and other CA/AU documents) just as John Chan. This once caused a problem when driving in HK, but producing the foreign passport resolved the issue immediately.

Those with British citizen passports are all
CHAN << TAI < MAN < JOHN

except me, because I removed the Romanisation of my Chinese name from my English-language documents to avoid being called Tai Chan.

As with percysmith, I don't know anyone close enough who would be willing to show me their NZ passport and HKIDs just to prove a point.
This is very interesting. I did not know it was common to write it as CHAN, TAI MAN JOHN. My whole family has this problem where our english names are at the end so growing up I was legally (in this scenario) Tai Chan because in Canada that's how it goes. My mother's name is the same but I had assumed that she had messed up her name as well.

This all ended up costing me a small fortune in Canada to get it changed to CHAN, JOHN TAI MAN because all our immigration papers had it the "wrong" way around and our legal named were wrong. I always blamed my mother for this but this is clearly a common problem. On a side note, using a certificate of name change from Canada was sufficient to change my english name on my HKID
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Uh..... in Canada, you can re-order / drop / initialize the first or middle names any way you wanted.

So I had passports through the years with names: CHAN, TAI MAN JOHN ; CHAN, JOHN ; CHAN, JOHN T

Cost me nothing to change the names. My old HK passport, ID, and current Canadian driver license, citizenship certificate, all have CHAN, TAI MAN JOHN

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ange-name.html

"The name on your passport or other travel document should be the same as the name on your birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate.
You may change your given name slightly such as:
- dropping given names
- reversing given names
You will need to show another form of identification, such as a driver’s license, to prove you use your name in this way. "

And as mentioned in my previous post, HK Immigration Dept only looked at my various Canadian government ID's (not name change legal document) to let me re-arrange the order of my first/middle names for HKID.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by beep88
Uh..... in Canada, you can re-order / drop / initialize the first or middle names any way you wanted.

So I had passports through the years with names: CHAN, TAI MAN JOHN ; CHAN, JOHN ; CHAN, JOHN T

Cost me nothing to change the names. My old HK passport, ID, and current Canadian driver license, citizenship certificate, all have CHAN, TAI MAN JOHN

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ange-name.html

"The name on your passport or other travel document should be the same as the name on your birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate.
You may change your given name slightly such as:
- dropping given names
- reversing given names
You will need to show another form of identification, such as a driver’s license, to prove you use your name in this way. "

And as mentioned in my previous post, HK Immigration Dept only looked at my various Canadian government ID's (not name change legal document) to let me re-arrange the order of my first/middle names for HKID.
My legal name was in the wrong order, not my passport. All my immigration papers said CHAN, TAI MAN JOHN (except my health card for some reason). CIC wants a fair bit of money to change the name ordering it seems. Service Canada and my drivers license both required a name change certificate.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:51 pm

Actually HK born citizen Cantonese. They usually cant speak mandarin well.EU dont accept dual citizenship. And people cannot work in EU with BNO. You better check with the embassy in EU
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by sakuraoskar
Actually HK born citizen Cantonese. They usually cant speak mandarin well.EU dont accept dual citizenship. And people cannot work in EU with BNO. You better check with the embassy in EU
Check the date of the original post, and the responses over the past three years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.