FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual nationality - BNO and HKID
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:12 pm
LoveHateRelationship

Originally Posted by :D!
Yup, while nobody in my family has a BN(O), those who have HKIDs all have their names in English as:
- CHAN, Tai Man
or
- CHAN, Tai Man John

and Canadian or Australian passports are
CHAN << JOHN < TAI < MAN

All of us migrated to CA/AU or were born there before 1990. Maybe they are stricter nowadays.

Some of them have drivers licenses (and other CA/AU documents) just as John Chan. This once caused a problem when driving in HK, but producing the foreign passport resolved the issue immediately.

Those with British citizen passports are all
CHAN << TAI < MAN < JOHN

except me, because I removed the Romanisation of my Chinese name from my English-language documents to avoid being called Tai Chan.

As with percysmith, I don't know anyone close enough who would be willing to show me their NZ passport and HKIDs just to prove a point.
This is very interesting. I did not know it was common to write it as CHAN, TAI MAN JOHN. My whole family has this problem where our english names are at the end so growing up I was legally (in this scenario) Tai Chan because in Canada that's how it goes. My mother's name is the same but I had assumed that she had messed up her name as well.

This all ended up costing me a small fortune in Canada to get it changed to CHAN, JOHN TAI MAN because all our immigration papers had it the "wrong" way around and our legal named were wrong. I always blamed my mother for this but this is clearly a common problem. On a side note, using a certificate of name change from Canada was sufficient to change my english name on my HKID