Reload this Page >

Dual nationality - BNO and HKID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dual nationality - BNO and HKID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: CX Gold, UA PP, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by my_melody
Hello, wonder if anyone has update on BNO renewal...

I have great difficulties with renewing my BNO after it expired 16 years ago. This is the latest reply from the BNO Liverpool office after about a dozen email bouncing back and forth:
Thank you for your reply. If you wish to use the name C--- B--- <Surname> in your new BNO passport, you need to change the name shown on your New Zealand passport to reflect the same name order. Or we can issue a passport in the name of B--- C--- <Surname> if you provide evidence showing that you have changed the name shown on your Hong Kong ID card to match the name. Applicant is eligible to align his/her name on all of the official documents and uses only one name (in the same order) for all purposes according to our policy and procedures.
Why a renewal application is made so complicated? My "middle name" appeared before my "first name" on my expired BNO so I just want to keep it simple and leave it "as is". I enter HK on a New Zealand passport as a foreign visitor so I don't use an HKID. Our names are always arranged like this in HK with their "standard order", very simply placing "middle name" before "first name". I'm sure this is the order as appear on at least 99% of BNO holders'.
From this email they are asking me to do a formal name change, which I believe is unreasonable.
It seems that they are making the BNO renewal process very difficult for those who left HK prior to the change of sovereignty. Renewal is supposed to be a very straight forward process but this is clearly not the case for me. Does anyone have similar issues with recent BNO renewal?
I'm so glad I found this thread and hope it's ok to resurrect this. I'm having the exact same issue as my_melody . Here's how my name appears on the different documents:

HKID and HKSAR passport: CHAN Tai Man, John
US and old BNO Passport, John Tai Man CHAN

Yes, you read it right. My old BNO passport also has the same order as my US passport. But when I just tried to get my long-expired BNO passport renewed, I got a similar letter as my_melody did, except my officer seems to indicate they can only issue the BNO based on my HKID (which to me means they are asking me to change the name on my US passport). For a variety of reasons, I won't change the name on my US passport but will consider changing my name on my HKID/SAR passport.

beep88 indicated the name order can be changed just without having the deed poll done. Has anyone else done this? Can I just bring my US passport and naturalization papers to HK Immigration, even though my HK birth certificate has my name in the same order as my HKID?

Deed poll or not, once I change my name order on my HKID, does it mean I have to change ALL records, like my HK bank accounts, mortgages, deeds, car titles, etc? Has anyone else done that? It sounds like a total nightmare.....

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:58 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by cmcg
beep88 indicated the name order can be changed just without having the deed poll done. Has anyone else done this? Can I just bring my US passport and naturalization papers to HK Immigration, even though my HK birth certificate has my name in the same order as my HKID?

Deed poll or not, once I change my name order on my HKID, does it mean I have to change ALL records, like my HK bank accounts, mortgages, deeds, car titles, etc? Has anyone else done that? It sounds like a total nightmare.....
First question is why do you want or need a BN(O) when you already have US and HKSAR passports?

The US and HK do not care about the name order, or at least understand that regardless of the order it is the same person. The UK passport office has gone crazy. When you want to renew a BN(O) you will be required to give them both your US and HK passports, or colour photocopies of every single page.

If you do want to change the name order in HK, it is trivial to do so at the Immigration Department. Yes, you should eventually change your name with all official organisations in HK, but there is no rush to do it as it will be obvious to anyone in HK that Tai Man John Chan and John Tai Man Chan, who have the same HKID number and date of birth, are the same person.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by :D!
First question is why do you want or need a BN(O) when you already have US and HKSAR passports?
Exactly my thoughts, I don't believe that BNO will give you right to abode in the EU unless you have a reason to be in the EU, but then you'll have other means to apply for residency.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:13 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Unless there is a pressing need for BNO (which is?), perhaps wait until HMPO changes policy.

They changed policy on sending original passports in, now accepting colour copies.

You have two passports anyway. Where can you go with BNO that you can't with those?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: CX Gold, UA PP, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade
It is beyond the point of debating whether there is a need as I have already started the process by submitting all of the other required documents and paid the fee (which is required at the time of application submission).

Many others who posted here about this topic before also has other passports such as those NZ and Canada, which is why this problem exists in the first place. And yes, BNO doesn’t give right of abode in the UK, let alone the EU.

I will try to get my name order changed on my HkID with just my US passport and see if this works.

Thanks!!

Last edited by cmcg; Nov 11, 2019 at 7:29 pm
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:05 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I will try to get my name order changed on my HkID with just my US passport and see if this works.
Oops, I realised I didn't actually answer that part of your question - yes it should work with just your US passport and nothing else. I can't remember whether I had to give a reason for name change on the form, but the guy asked me and I just said I want my HKID English name to be the same as on my passport (Australian). And interestingly when I changed my name order on my Australian passport I just filled out a form at the passport office and they accepted it there and then, no further documentation or questions.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Oops, I realised I didn't actually answer that part of your question - yes it should work with just your US passport and nothing else. I can't remember whether I had to give a reason for name change on the form, but the guy asked me and I just said I want my HKID English name to be the same as on my passport (Australian). And interestingly when I changed my name order on my Australian passport I just filled out a form at the passport office and they accepted it there and then, no further documentation or questions.
Seems like they should've aligned in the first place. I don't think APO will allow non-aligned naming now.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:15 pm

Thanks. I did call immigration and have submitted my form to get my name changed with my US passport and old BNO passport as my supporting documents. The form did ask for a reason. The hotline told me it usually takes 2 weeks for them to process the request and I will be informed whether I can or cannot change the order of my name. Fingers crossed!
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:58 pm

Thanks. I did call immigration and have submitted my form to get my name changed with my US passport and old BNO passport as my supporting documents. The form did ask for a reason. The hotline told me it usually takes 2 weeks for them to process the request and I will be informed whether I can or cannot change the order of my name. Fingers crossed!
An update: I finally got my name changed on my HKID and SAR passport and BNO office accepted the new documents. New BNO passport is on its way to me.
percysmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.