Wiki Posts
Search

Dual nationality - BNO and HKID

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by garykung
The ROA will not be taken away simply because of the renunciation.

Instead, you will be subject to the 36-month requirement. And then you will lose the ROA once you fail to abide the 36-month requirement.
That's the same 36months rules that applies to my offspring who are not "Made in HK"?
This is a good rule for they will have to visit mama and Papa once every 36 months
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by tentseller
That's the same 36months rules that applies to my offspring who are not "Made in HK"?
This is a good rule for they will have to visit mama and Papa once every 36 months
Yes, that's the same rule.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Um, wonder what changing your nationality/citizenship on the HKID does to your right of Abode or you will be limited to the right to stay and work?
What about HKIS record?
This is an interesting question. Since Registration of Persons Department was merged with Immigration Department some years ago, the HKIS record would be whatever one declared on the HKID application.

In the old days, many would declared that they were "British" to be consistent with their BDTC and BN(O) passports, or even in older days, British Hong Kong Passports with nationality as BS Citizen of the UK&C but without the right of abode in UK endorsement. A lot of HK born folks were actually "questioned" by HK Immigration Dept. when they apply for their HK British passports if they had declared to be Chinese on their HKID card.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
Originally Posted by Clipper801
It is understood without question for those who chose to apply for a Home Return Permit (which by their own action have self-declared to be a Chinese National) and have therefore voluntarily forfeited their right and entitlement to Australian consular protection and assistance. I respect that this is a personal choice and in my opinion, not a very smart choice.
On the surface that may seem an unwise choice, but there are logistical reasons for someone to get an HRP. If you attempt to apply for a China visa with a foreign passport while in Hong Kong, and you appear Chinese, they will ask you if you have a HKID. Your options are to lie, or to show it to them, and if they see the *** on it, they know you are a PR, and they will refuse to issue you a visa because they will have assumed you are a Chinese National (likely so), and will force you to renounce your PR status with HKIS before they will consider a visa application.

So, if you are a Chinese National with PR in Hong Kong and generally live in Hong Kong, and you have a need to travel into China (let's say for work or family), your choices are either get a HRP, or fly back to the country where your passport is from and get a visa from there.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by vkykam
So, if you are a Chinese National with PR in Hong Kong and generally live in Hong Kong, and you have a need to travel into China (let's say for work or family), your choices are either get a HRP, or fly back to the country where your passport is from and get a visa from there.
Actually, foreign Chinese Embassies/Consulates are no longer an option.

There are reports that if the applicants show signs of being a Chinese (like Hong Kong/Macau born), they will be either asked for proof of renouncing the Chinese citizenship or told to apply for a travel pass instead.
kaka likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
if they see the *** on it, they know you are a PR
I find it incredible that so many HK Chinese get this wrong! The *** has nothing at all to do with Permanent Residence. Many HK PRs (myself included) do not have *** on our HKID cards.

The *** means "The holder is aged 18 or over and is eligible for a HKSAR Re-entry Permit"

The symbol which indicates Permanent Residence (i.e. Right of Abode) is the letter A.

Full details here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/hkid/smartid.html
DragonSoul likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Actually, foreign Chinese Embassies/Consulates are no longer an option.

There are reports that if the applicants show signs of being a Chinese (like Hong Kong/Macau born), they will be either asked for proof of renouncing the Chinese citizenship or told to apply for a travel pass instead.
not entirely true.
they demand yellow skinned persons who do not have a japanese/korean name to get an HRP. like some of my fellow canada-born hongkie-parents canadians.

and then they would say first and foremost you're a chinese.

and also, those chinese would capture you illegally abroad and say you are not allowed consular protection (not like they can do much once the chinese do you anyways).

So all in all, you all have been warned - best not to go those those illegal countries like how you avoid warzones.

Last edited by kaka; Oct 24, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaka
not entirely true.
they demand yellow skinned persons who do not have a japanese/korean name to get an HRP. like some of my fellow canada-born hongkie-parents canadians.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Melina
(snip)

Can the chinese embassy 'force' me to 'choose' chinese nationality?
they can. with china they do everything illegal.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:38 pm
Suspended

im not making up any news. incidents are widely documented.

and how about some indication that when talking about consular protection, BNO is the way to go. (if you cannot get one, too bad. if you go to the chinese embassy you'll be ripped off THEN get sent away)

BNO
1) 311 eqrthquake, UK expatriated everyone back to HK. then PRC responded by being a copy cat
2) Egypt HK couple (Eventually) went to the UK Embassy and got assisted
3) Mexico (Same above)
4) Philippines. a few drug "trafficing" cases. UK Embassy contacted the "criminal/suspect", provided lawyers and periodic visits.
5) Philippines tour bus shooting incident. UK (BNO and BC) pp holders were somehow released. other (HK + canada + others) were mostly killed. May not be related but who knows
6) one may get an emergency passport with the UK embassy for a lost BNO within hours for travels in case.

HK sar prc Passport
1) 311 eqrthquake, UK expatriated everyone back to HK. then PRC responded by being a copy cat 6 hrs later
2) Egypt HK couple as above (First) went to the china Embassy and got conned hundreds of USD to assist "wiring money from HK", and short term (Food and accomodation) assistance. Then they went to the brits.
3) Rome/Italy. Cruise Ship. PRC embassy say contact HK office. HK SAR passport is none of their business. (This happens more often then stated here)
4) Bangkok/Thailand. a pro-china priest tour to Jordan has a tech-stop at BKK that turned into a tech-delay. Airline kept HKsar passport and sent tour to a hotel with no luggage, money nor passport. Priest and tour seeked help from PRC embassy and was told is none of their business.
fishball likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by christep
I find it incredible that so many HK Chinese get this wrong! The *** has nothing at all to do with Permanent Residence. Many HK PRs (myself included) do not have *** on our HKID cards.

The *** means "The holder is aged 18 or over and is eligible for a HKSAR Re-entry Permit"

The symbol which indicates Permanent Residence (i.e. Right of Abode) is the letter A.

Full details here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/hkid/smartid.html
I stand corrected.

That's the prevailing knowledge about the locals and the ***. My comment regarding the China consulate though stands, as I guess they are looking for the 'A' instead of the ***, and won't issues visas in Hong Kong unless they can confirm explicitly that you are not a Chinese national.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by kaka
not entirely true.
This case was unique though, and the two people in question ultimately were issued visas subsequent to them being asked to get an HRP.

My hunch is that they were born prior to the handover, (teenagers, school trip, happened in 2016, so they could have been 18 or 19 and be under this scenario) and as such would have been Chinese nationals under the eyes of the Chinese Basic Law, if the parents had not yet "settled" in Canada. This determination of whether someone is a Chinese national can be made when that someone, for example, applies for a HKSAR passport, by HK Immigration.

Anyone born subsequent to July 1, 1997 overseas to a parent of Chinese descent and having permanent residency in Hong Kong would not qualify to be a Chinese national, and as such should have no issues obtaining a visa.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:11 pm

On the surface that may seem an unwise choice, but there are logistical reasons for someone to get an HRP. If you attempt to apply for a China visa with a foreign passport while in Hong Kong, and you appear Chinese, they will ask you if you have a HKID. Your options are to lie, or to show it to them, and if they see the *** on it, they know you are a PR, and they will refuse to issue you a visa because they will have assumed you are a Chinese National (likely so), and will force you to renounce your PR status with HKIS before they will consider a visa application.

Unless there is a new process since December 2015, what you are say is applicable only to those who are holders of HKSAR or PRC passports or have been issued HRP's.

If one does not hold a HKSAR or PRC passport, or a HRP, having a HKID card with endorsement that the holder has the right of abode in H.K. does not preclude that person to apply for China visa and travel to China with one's foreign passport. The only exception is BN(O). Presumably, they can tell whether one has a HKSAR passport or HRP with the HKID card.

My last experience was in December 2015 with someone who has a HKID with right of abode in H.K. but no HKSAR or PRC passport, or HRP to apply for China visa on a Canadian passport. No question was asked and that person was issued a 3-year multiple entry L visa to replace an expiring one. Hence my qualification of the December 2015 date.

Last edited by Clipper801; Oct 30, 2017 at 5:50 pm
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
The whole discussion about renouncing Chinese national status for consular protection in China seems purely academic at this point, in light of the Gui Minhai incident. If you’re born a Chinese national, China will assert their claim that you are Chinese, regardless of whether you renounced your nationality. And there is very little your country can or will do for you, once China has you.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Dave510
The whole discussion about renouncing Chinese national status for consular protection in China seems purely academic at this point, in light of the Gui Minhai incident. If you’re born a Chinese national, China will assert their claim that you are Chinese, regardless of whether you renounced your nationality. And there is very little your country can or will do for you, once China has you.
Wrong. China never said Gui Minhai was a Chinese national. Only Lee Bo was "foremost a Chinese national" because Lee obtained British citizenship through the "unrecognized" scheme. Gui was simply grabbed from Thailand as a Swede. (Of course the "official" TV confession has him voluntarily returned to settle the criminal case while he was Chinese.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.