Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jrey
I already have the Amex Hilton with no annual fee. Just today, I logged on and found that my Hilton is eligible to upgrade to Surpass card with 100K point bonus after $3k spending. Should I upgrade or should I apply as a new card for the same offer? If I upgrade, is it possible to downgrade in the future since I still want to keep the no annual fee card for the long run? If so, how soon can I downgrade?
How did you see the upgrade offer? I too have the Amex Hilton and would love for an upgrade offer to match the new card bonus.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:11 pm

I already have the Amex Hilton with no annual fee. Just today, I logged on and found that my Hilton is eligible to upgrade to Surpass card with 100K point bonus after $3k spending. Should I upgrade or should I apply as a new card for the same offer? If I upgrade, is it possible to downgrade in the future since I still want to keep the no annual fee card for the long run? If so, how soon can I downgrade?
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
How did you see the upgrade offer? I too have the Amex Hilton and would love for an upgrade offer to match the new card bonus.
Given the new Surpass offer & interest in signups & upgrades, I've added a section to the wiki on how to maximize your bonuses over the long run. (Short version: earn signup bonus first, then upgrade later on. The reverse order is functionally impossible.)
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL: DM; MR: GE, HH: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Apologies if this has been answered, did a quick search but couldn't find it.

When does the 12x points for completing a stay post? I just completed my first stay and it gave me the 500 bonus points for booking directly, but I do not see the 12x for Surpass.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by esac
When does the 12x points for completing a stay post? I just completed my first stay and it gave me the 500 bonus points for booking directly, but I do not see the 12x for Surpass.
It's not 12x for a stay; it's 12x for Hilton-related spend. You'll get the points (base + bonus) at the end of each billing cycle, just as with other cards that have fixed bonus categories.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Given the new Surpass offer & interest in signups & upgrades, I've added a section to the wiki on how to maximize your bonuses over the long run. (Short version: earn signup bonus first, then upgrade later on. The reverse order is functionally impossible.)
According to the wiki, I should apply and then upgrade to get 2x100k bonus, right? If the card is canceled right after bonus is obtained, will we get annual fee refund?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
I just saw the same offer on my account, no brainer and yes you can downgrade later back to the no annual fee version. I think you'll have to pay one $75 annual fee for this offer once which I don't have a problem with. I would downgrade at some point before your 2nd annual fee hits.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
According to the wiki, I should apply and then upgrade to get 2x100k bonus, right? If the card is canceled right after bonus is obtained, will we get annual fee refund?
If you already have the no annual fee version with a 100k offer to upgrade that is the best deal (at least for me). Not sure about if the AF would be refunded but my SA just canceled her SPG and amex prorated the annual fee back to her, $16. Winning!

I personally wouldn't cancel right a receiving a bonus but its whatever you feel comfortable with.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by BoeingOrNotGoing
If you already have the no annual fee version with a 100k offer to upgrade that is the best deal (at least for me). Not sure about if the AF would be refunded but my SA just canceled her SPG and amex prorated the annual fee back to her, $16. Winning!

I personally wouldn't cancel right a receiving a bonus but its whatever you feel comfortable with.
I don't actually want to cancel but if we downgrade it, will we get the AF prorated? And how long do we have to hold on to the Surpass before eligible for downgrade?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Upgrading usually saves you a hard credit pull vs. a fresh application. Downgrade anytime before yr. 2 annual fee is due. Be thankful that your 100,000 points is only costing $95.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Upgrading usually saves you a hard credit pull vs. a fresh application. Downgrade anytime before yr. 2 annual fee is due. Be thankful that your 100,000 points is only costing $95.
You mean $75, right?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
What is the best strategy ? Apply for new card for 100k points and then upgrade the no fee card for another 100k? I'm afraid that by the time I get the first 100k from the new card, the offer to upgrade might go away. Plus, will Amex allow to have 2 surpass cards at the same time or I have to cancel the first card before upgrading the no fee one???
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:23 pm

I could not find a answer to this,

so I currently have the no annual fee version of AMEX Hilton HHonors card, I received the sign-up bonus for this card. I had this card for less than a year, so I have never upgraded this card to surpass card.

Now, can I apply for the surpass card and received the 100K current offer? I never had the surpass card before.

If the surpass card and the no-fee card are considered two different products, then I should be able to receive the 100k sign-up bonus on the surpass card, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks!

Last edited by adobe; Apr 5, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: SPG/Ritz/Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I am only getting a 50k upgrade offer, I've had the Hilton Honors card for 15-18 months.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:29 pm

What is the best strategy ? Apply for new card for 100k points and then upgrade the no fee card for another 100k? I'm afraid that by the time I get the first 100k from the new card, the offer to upgrade might go away. Plus, will Amex allow to have 2 surpass cards at the same time or I have to cancel the first card before upgrading the no fee one???
You'll have to cancel one Surpass card. The upgrade offer will probably revert back to the 50k bonus. All these points that are being given away lately is going to dilute the product even more.

Last edited by CalvaryMike; Apr 6, 2016 at 3:58 pm
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by adobe
I could not find a answer to this,

so I currently have the no annual fee version of AMEX Hilton HHonors card, I received the sign-up bonus for this card. I had this card for less than a year, so I have never upgraded this card to surpass card.

Now, can I apply for the surpass card and received the 100K current offer? I never had the surpass card before.

If the surpass card and the no-fee card are considered two different products, then I should be able to receive the 100k sign-up bonus on the surpass card, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks!
Same situation here. My no-fee Amex Hilton is only a few months old. Last night I signed up for the 100k offer on the $75 Amex Surpass. I got approved and my Amex account page reflects the addition of the new card.

Once I get the physical card, I'll charge $3k and verify I get the 100k HH points. To be continued ... will report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.