Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I find the lobby is abit too quiet for my taste.
Perhaps they are catering more towards the tourist crowd vs the business types.

At least with Hilton KUL sentral, it is a flat surface (with escalators) from door to KLIA express.
At doubletree KUL, it would be tough given the pavement conditions.

At current rate (without 2 for 1) , I would pay abit more to stay at Hilton KUL, where I can get to most places in KL conveniently with Rapid KL, and under shelter.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:03 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
Doubletree Kuala Lumpur Trip Reports and Reviews

Staying at the Doubletree now in an Executive floor suite.

Very surprised to see that the Executive Lounge cocktail hours (5:30 to 7:30) have such a poor offering.

No drinks out at all...you have to ask (no menu), and be prepared for the small serving. The hot food items are stone cold, and the sandwiches stale.

Vastly outweighed by the Starwood competition in any one of their KL hotels.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
staying here next week....will post a review soon after....

a question for the people who have stayed here or people like mario33 who have good knowledge of the area, what is the location like in terms of the hotel surroundings????are there any restaurants or little shops around the hotel????
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:04 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
The Ampang Park Shopping Centre is reached by a pedestrian bridge from the hotel. This is an older mall with mostly Malaysian and Indian clothing shops.

However, Ampang Park LRT is also adjacent to the hotel and links directly to KLCC shopping and the Petronas Towers for just a RM1.00 fare.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by VanMan
The Ampang Park Shopping Centre is reached by a pedestrian bridge from the hotel. This is an older mall with mostly Malaysian and Indian clothing shops.

However, Ampang Park LRT is also adjacent to the hotel and links directly to KLCC shopping and the Petronas Towers for just a RM1.00 fare.
cool....thanks for the info....
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA 2P, US Silver, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat RA, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I stayed there from October 12-14...the hotel is nice enough...but I had one bad experience. I purposely left 100MYR on the desk before heading out so I would have some cash to pay for my taxi the next day. When I returned in the afternoon my 100MYR was gone! I gave them a benefit of a doubt and thought maybe housekeeping thought it was a tip. So after I reported it, security said they'd investigate. By check out time the next day they still haven't been able to question anyone...just in case someone *thought* it was a tip. The manager said she'd send me an email once she has more info... I never did hear back from this manager. Oh well, it was only like $30US...but the hassle of trying to find an ATM so I can pay for transport to the airport was a total bummer

And yes, I admit, it was my mistake to leave money out in the open like that. They do have a safe. I should have taken an extra 3 seconds to have stuck money and other valuables in it. That's why I'm not terribly upset, cause it was kinda my fault. Just more irritated by the inconvenience, and the fact that the manager never emailed or called me like she said she would.

Other than that, the hotel was like. Pretty bare lobby...but really liked the view from the lounge. Also, FANTASTIC breakfast! So much selection
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CK82
really liked the view from the lounge. Also, FANTASTIC breakfast! So much selection
what's the lounge like????
Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:14 am

Programs: DL SM, UA 2P, US Silver, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat RA, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by saad
what's the lounge like????
The view from the lounge was lovely. Plenty of drinks, desserts, and snacks to choose from! Here's a link to the photos of the view, and the food offered in the lounge. I should clarify that the awesome breakfast I had was at the Makan restaurant...not the lounge.

Photos
Old Dec 22, 2010, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The view from the lounge was lovely. Plenty of drinks, desserts, and snacks to choose from! Here's a link to the photos of the view, and the food offered in the lounge. I should clarify that the awesome breakfast I had was at the Makan restaurant...not the lounge.

Photos
cool....thanks for the pictures....
Old Dec 22, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: SQ Solitaire, HH Diamond, Shangrila Golden Circle Diamond, Leaders Club (LHW)
This hotel is newly refurbished and re-branded. So everything works well generally.

Breakfast at the Makan Kitchen was good. But if you go at say 9:30 am (breakfast finishes at 10:30 am), most of the food items and juices would run out and not be replenished. There would be lots of unsightly empty bowls and jugs. The Indian and Malay sections are good. Did not have the breakfast at the exec lounge but the selection is say 10% of what's at the Makan Kitchen.

Afternoon tea at the lounge is not good - saw only 1 type of scones and some cookies displayed.

Evening cocktails not good - only red and white wine. No mixed cocktails. Food served are as pictured above - in tiny plates.

Lounge staff are ok and quite friendly. Kids are allowed in the lounge so some times, it can get a bit noisy.

No wifi in the room, only the wired LAN. There is wifi in the lounge.

There are the new blue executive taxis outside the hotel. They are more expensive than the street taxis. Do have an idea of how much a cab ride would cost before you take a cab to avoid the street cabbie from ripping you off. Even then, most street cabbies tend not to use the meter and would insist on a fixed fare.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

Photos
Food and dishes look pretty identical to those at the KL Hilton Exec Lounge. Do they have made to order eggs in the DT lounge? When I stay at the KL Hilton, that is what I usually get as part of breakfast.

Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should clarify that the awesome breakfast I had was at the Makan restaurant...not the lounge.
is breakfast free for diamond members at the makan restaurant????
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

stayed 2 nights here last week & was very impressed with the property....

checked in early in the morning & they gave us our rooms right away....i opted for a nor1 upgrade to an executive suite....small but nice suite with a good view of the city....

the executive lounge was very nice....lots of free snacks throughout the day....due to my diamond status all 3 rooms i had booked were given access to the lounge....i also got free internet (diamond perk) & 2 free pieces of laundry per day....

breakfast was very nice at the makan restaurant (free for diamonds)....but it was crowded....very crowded....i opted to have breakfast at the lounge the next two mornings....the choice was less but it was very peaceful....food was good....

i also liked the location....just a short 10 minute walk to the twin towers & klcc....

all in all, i really liked this property & if the price remains the same then i would consider making this my regular property in kuala lumpur....
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:37 am

is there public transport available to the hotel from kl sentral or what's the best way to get to the hotel from the airport?

thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nyc1234
is there public transport available to the hotel from kl sentral or what's the best way to get to the hotel from the airport?

thanks!
From the hotel's web site

By train -KLIA Express trains go to Kuala Lumpur Central Station from the airport. The journey takes approximately 28 minutes. The train runs every 15 minutes during rush hours (5am-9am and 5pm-12am) and 20 minutes at other times (9am-5pm). At the train station, switch to the Rapid KL LRT train arriving at Ampang Park station and follow the covered bridge to the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.