Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:43 am

Seeing your bathroom pictures reminds me that every time we stay there I notice that the chrome in the bathroom is always the shiniest polished I've ever seen anywhere.

Also, whenever I see that blue picture over the couch, I think that my two year old grandson could have painted it...

Last edited by sandylouwho; Jan 7, 2014 at 1:56 am
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by Rusell
Does anyone know what time the Exec Lounge closes.
The Executive Lounge is open daily:
6:00 AM - 22:00 PM.

Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Stayed there the last couple of days. Nice hotel with some great staff.
Didn't want to pay 140 ringgitt for a cab to the airport so went by LTR/Express for 37. Far easier when you use the wrong side of the road (Intercontinental side) rather than the Hilton DT signposted side of the LTR with McDonalds etc..
Great executive lounge. Saved a bit on food and beer
Nice having some power points near the bed although lack of lighting as usual and does the cupboard light turn off?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:19 am

One of the best Hilton redemptions,stayed 5 nights for only 40k hilton points last september
Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Booking for spouse + other issues

I have three questions.

First, my spouse and her friends are thinking of going to DT KL for a few days in Feb. Can I book one room under my name (HH Gold) but she and her friends check in and I still earn points that count towards status?

Secondly, if there are three people in a room, should i choose 1, 2 or 3 adults when i make the booking...knowing that the "spouse stays free" for HH members. I'm not too worried about breakfasts only available for two.

Lastly, is the 1 king bed deluxe suite big enough for three people (2 on a bed and 1 on a sofa) or should i hope to get upgraded to a 1 king bed executive suite which is much bigger?

Thanks in advance for helping me answer!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by gummibar
First, my spouse and her friends are thinking of going to DT KL for a few days in Feb. Can I book one room under my name (HH Gold) but she and her friends check in and I still earn points that count towards status?
you can book the room under your name but as per the t&c of the program you should not get the stay credit & points....

Secondly, if there are three people in a room, should i choose 1, 2 or 3 adults when i make the booking...knowing that the "spouse stays free" for HH members. I'm not too worried about breakfasts only available for two.
3 adults....the spouse stays free only applies if the hh member stays as well....

Lastly, is the 1 king bed deluxe suite big enough for three people (2 on a bed and 1 on a sofa) or should i hope to get upgraded to a 1 king bed executive suite which is much bigger?
yes it is....as a gold your chances of being upgraded to an executive suite are slim....
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xenole
Stayed there ...Didn't want to pay 140 ringgitt for a cab to the airport so went by LTR/Express for 37. Far easier when you use the wrong side of the road (Intercontinental side) rather than the Hilton DT signposted side of the LTR with McDonalds etc..
So what is the best way to access the DT from the LRT station?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FedUp2
So what is the best way to access the DT from the LRT station?
When you come up out of the station by the Intercontinental (across from the McDonald's and Ampang Park Shopping Centre, there is an escalator that leads up to a covered walkway. Follow it until it ends at the Intermark Building and enter the doors. That is the lobby level of the Doubletree.

Just to add another positive review, my wife and I stayed here on points for three nights earlier this month, and it was a GREAT stay, phenomenal value for 10,000 points/night. The Executive Lounge is great, but we actually loved breakfast in the restaurant (I think it was the 11th or 12th floor?) even more. As a Diamond, I was told that I could do either the EL or the restaurant, and we're glad we did 2 of the 3 breakfasts there. They had Malay, Indian, Chinese, and Western stations, including a make-you-own noodle bowl section.

We chose to take a budget limo from the airport, and it was only $22.60 (I think it was 74.50 MYR, but I can't remember exactly). There were two of us, so it wound up being pretty comparable to the Airport Express + LRT, and I think it took about 50 minutes.

We also used the spa and found the massages to be quite terrific.

Note that there is a full supermarket in the basement (which we didn't discover until our last day), which was nice for grabbing snacks, Cokes, or an ice cream after a long day of touring in the heat.

All in all, a terrific stay!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed there the last couple of days. Nice hotel with some great staff.
Didn't want to pay 140 ringgitt for a cab to the airport so went by LTR/Express for 37. Far easier when you use the wrong side of the road (Intercontinental side) rather than the Hilton DT signposted side of the LTR with McDonalds etc..
Great executive lounge. Saved a bit on food and beer
Nice having some power points near the bed although lack of lighting as usual and does the cupboard light turn off?
We stayed there recently and we always used the walkway from Intermark to the little shopping plaza and then took escalator down to the street level from where we go to LTR across street. The only portion that is not under cover is the crossing from the shopping mall to the station. No steps other than the few steps from the shopping mall ground level to the street just below.

Did you mean to take the walkway all the way to InterCon, and then from there there is escalator down directly to the LRT?

This is probably the best 10K redemption in the whole HHonor system.

We were upgraded to the suite on 34th floor. Though we are told the 3 piece free laundry everyday is NOT cumulative and must be adhered to. We used this nice service 3 out of the 4 nights/5 days we stayed. We checked out at 7pm on our 5th night as our flight to BKK departed at 10pm. We checked in with MH at the Airport Express station and then took the train to the airport. Hind sight, we could have canceled this flight and rebooked the next noon flight when the flights of the next day had award space opened up (forfeit $38 taxes and fees as we booked with BA Avios) - then we could save 40K pts for one extra night we needed at Conrad BKK, versus we had one night forfeited at DT KL, and added a night at Conrad BKK for the same day due to the previously booked flight.

We have breakfasts at the Makan restaurant which has many food stations but the food quality is just reasonable, not anything exceptional. We feel like there seems a lot of offerings but they are pretty much the same thing especially when it comes to the meat feeling of the dim sum (or the different kind of stuff to put in the soup). Restaurant was very very busy during our stay. Lounge is a lot quieter. If you dont need / want hot noodle soup or ethnic offerings, the lounge has pretty much the same foods as the restaurant but in a much peaceful environment.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 16, 2014 at 7:18 pm
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Never used the Makan restuarant although will try it if I go back again. Just ate in the lounge all the time.

Did like the window near the drinks bar that overlooks the motorway/freeway/highway as you can watch the spiders spinning webs outside in the evening

Did visit the supermarket a couple of times. Plenty of cheap food places down there as well although the food temperature at the place I tried wasn't hot.

One thing to note is that the door to the walkway (in the bank area?) is locked between midnight? and 7am so you have to go outside via the taxi area. Easy enough at 6am to cross the empty road rather than use the walkway to Ampang Park LTR (too busy other times of day to attempt this if you've luggage)

Originally Posted by Deemus7
When you come up out of the station by the Intercontinental (across from the McDonald's and Ampang Park Shopping Centre, there is an escalator that leads up to a covered walkway. Follow it until it ends at the Intermark Building and enter the doors. That is the lobby level of the Doubletree.
We chose to take a budget limo from the airport, and it was only $22.60 (I think it was 74.50 MYR, but I can't remember exactly). There were two of us, so it wound up being pretty comparable to the Airport Express + LRT, and I think it took about 50 minutes.
That's what I was trying to say, badly. The signage in the LTR station points you to the shopping side of the road that has steps going up to the walkway. The IC, on the other side of the road has the escalators leading to the walkway

Nice price for a "limo". Is that in total or per person?
For me, I paid MYR35 for the airport train to Sentral (20 minute wait as with pretty much every single train in Kuala Lumpur bar the one to Batu Caves that was over an hour. probably closer to 1h30).
Then MYR2 on the LTR to Ampang Park.
(and vice versa)

Last edited by xenole; Jan 17, 2014 at 2:31 am
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
Best stay ever!

Agreed, this was the best 10k pts / night ever! ( until i can review the DT beijing at least )

As hhonor gold, upgraded to executive room on 28nd floor, full BF in makan kitchen and EL access.

Happy hour in lounge was good with nice spirits and food, especially the malay goreng fish and tandoori chicken. My son loaned the IPAD and watched youtube on the fast WIFI.

Utilized the free 3x laundry item credit, sent in at 2pm, came back by 8pm. And they have FREE UNLIMITED laundry credit for toddlers below 4 years of age, sent in a whole suitcase of clothes for laundry for FREE!!

The DT cookies were excellent as well, we ate 8 of them in our 1 night stay.

But the staff were the best part of the hotel. Alvin, from concierge, in particular stands out.

Only minor quibble is the water that comes out from the RAIN shower goes to the toilet floor, so it may get a little slippery, still not fixed from my 1st stay 2.5 years ago.

But at 10k points, I would go back if I ever need to be in KL.

As a note, all hotels use the BLUE limo taxis which are twice as expensive as normal budget taxis. To avoid them, download the app MYTEKSI or EASY TAXI and use it to book a cab, its always metered and service is good. Costs me RM$70 only from DT to KLIA airport.

And if u need free UNLIMITED but slow 64kps basic internet sim for your phone, pay RM$8.80 and get a #HOTLIINK sim card at any hotlink / maxis shop. Internet is free as long as card is active, and you get RM$5 credit for calling / sms. Or use RM$1 / day to upgrade to faster 3G internet.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did like the window near the drinks bar that overlooks the motorway/freeway/highway as you can watch the spiders spinning webs outside in the evening
Huh, we did the same thing on one late afternoon. I kept wondering how they could be so high up.

One thing to note is that the door to the walkway (in the bank area?) is locked between midnight? and 7am so you have to go outside via the taxi area. Easy enough at 6am to cross the empty road rather than use the walkway to Ampang Park LTR (too busy other times of day to attempt this if you've luggage)
It closes earlier than that. We checked the time posted on the door and it was 11pm, ditto the door from Ampang Park to the walkway.

On our day of arrival from Kota Kinabalu at LCCT, we caught the last LTR of the day from KL Sentral. By the time we reached Ampang Park station and got up to the top of escalator, the attendant had started closing down the station. We asked the direction to DT, and he told us to walk down the street. Then we saw we had to cross a rather wide road to get to the other side but since it was close to midnight, we managed even with our carryons.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Question for Elites who have recently stayed at this property.
Do you recall being given a choice between "standard" internet for free and "fast" internet for $14/day?
I was presented with the following iBahn options on login yesterday:

We are trying to establish whether this is a recent change due to a new Hilton policy as discussed in this thread or whether it's been present for some time.
The "standard" internet is 250kb/s and is woefully inadequate.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by flyingnomadic
Question for Elites who have recently stayed at this property.
Do you recall being given a choice between "standard" internet for free and "fast" internet for $14/day?
I was presented with the following iBahn options on login yesterday:

We are trying to establish whether this is a recent change due to a new Hilton policy as discussed in this thread or whether it's been present for some time.
The "standard" internet is 250kb/s and is woefully inadequate.
It was like that when I was there earlier this month.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcgahat
It was like that when I was there earlier this month.
I noticed that in one of the recent T&C updates Hilton got rid of the "higher speed offer" for Diamonds. It's a pretty useless benefit if its only 250kb/s and that is soon to be free to anyone anyway. Would be horrendous for VPN for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.