Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
For those of you who were not successful in finding award flights all the way to MLE, what's the best nearby Asian city from which to book a paid flight? I would be coming in the general direction from Hong Kong, taking a CX award as far as I can go. But it looks like getting awards in any cabin on the CX nonstops to MLE is going to be difficult. I'm looking at flights 330 days out and there's nothing.

Prefer a place that would not require a visa for a U.S. passport. Although possible way may want to spend a day or two in that city, in which case a visa-on-arrival wouldn't be a problem.

On the map it looks like maybe Colombo, but I'm guessing it has more to do with where some of the Asian LCCs are operating from.
I just took a HK mistake fare through HKG to BKK. Then I booked a Maldivian air flight from BKK to MLE. It was completely empty, maybe 30 people aboard. We were the only two passengers who boarded in BKK. The rest were continuing to MLE from Chongqing I believe. It was the same on our way back. It was a super odd flight but worked great with our times. One negative was that we had to clear customs to check in for the flight as they didn’t have online check in or a transfer desk. I’d say to avoid Bangkok unless those flights work for you as the LCCs fly out of a different airport and you would have to switch.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Originally Posted by Majuki
At 0:15 wasn't he walking on one of the private paths toward a beach villa?
I think it´s time to get over it. Cannot see any barbarians or hordes.
In a german frequent flyer forum, someone mentioned, that the cruise ship incident wasn´t that bad, not worth even mentioning....
Another funny review about fake facts, complaints, compensation...
https://www.tripadvisor.de/ShowUserR...d.html?m=19905

Last edited by mb123; Mar 4, 2019 at 3:01 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by mb123
I think it´s time to get over it. Cannot see any barbarians or hordes.
In a german frequent flyer forum, someone mentioned, that the cruise ship incident wasn´t that bad, not worth even mentioning....
Another funny review about fake facts, complaints, compensation...
https://www.tripadvisor.de/ShowUserR...d.html?m=19905
Maybe time to move on but let’s not diminish what those of us there experienced. The ship did overwhelm the public areas that day. Since most resident guests don’t spend a lot of time in the public areas it wouldn’t affect them. Unless of course you were one of the few that had visitors up your villa path too.

I don’t think it is unreasonable when dining at one of the most expensive restaurants in the world to expect to get a pre-dinner drink served within 45 minutes of our reservation but due to overcrowding it wasn’t possible. Yes, maybe these are first world problems but guests are paying dearly for this. More than just that day was effected too. The Quiet zone was understaffed the next day and had to call in for help. I didn’t confirm but was possibly due to double shifts or resident guests coming back out after avoiding the crowds the previous day. What I can confirm from staff there was that they were out of the signature drink ingredients from logistical issues caused from the previous day.

The biggest issue for me is that the resort thought they could have the ship stop by and change their bottom line. I think it did. Just not in the way they thought it would. Thanks to those that have called them out on this behavior. And make them reconsider in the future.

Last edited by texmanufan; Mar 4, 2019 at 9:59 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Scoot via SIN.
Cool. SIN is one of the cities we'd like to visit for a couple days so that could be a good plan for us.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
Cell phone usage question - has anyone from the US with AT&T phone service been able to place phone calls via the internet? There is a feature to do that but some countries block that ability so I was wondering what experiences have been.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Nstaskey
Cell phone usage question - has anyone from the US with AT&T phone service been able to place phone calls via the internet? There is a feature to do that but some countries block that ability so I was wondering what experiences have been.
Yes, I placed WiFi calls both on AT&T (on an iPhone) and T-Mobile (on a Samsung Galaxy S9+).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Jamal06
I believe I found a video from a crew member of the HMS Horde documenting their invasion of the resort. Its on youtube,, here is the link.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRW51bIE40k
You'd think that a) the resort would, for the benefit of paying guests, try to reduce the impact of what they were doing by not allowing cruise ship staff onto the island - the less people you let off the boat the better, and b) a staff member should be trained to have at least some concept of 'hey, I won't make it look like a Bali beach and I won't go up private paths to villas with my GoPro running', but no. Sad.

Originally Posted by mb123
Cannot see.....hordes.
Everybody has seen lots of people getting off and on the tender boat in the pics that have been posted in this thread. Maybe you need to get some of those glasses he's wearing, you know, help you see better. They're so cool.....not. Just because in one video it doesn't show that many of the horde (which is an appropriate term considering the amount of guests at the resort and the amount who got off the cruise ship) it doesn't mean that it didn't happen or make it any less serious. I mean really, I shouldn't have to be pointing this out to a grown adult. Judging by the content that is found frequently in your posts, anyone would think your FT account is fake and you work for Hilton. There were hordes and a lot of them behaved badly, and in more ways than one. Get over it.

Originally Posted by Majuki
At 0:15 wasn't he walking on one of the private paths toward a beach villa?
Yeah. What's the bet he edited the video to leave it at that and not go further up the path after he read about the shitstorm they caused.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I emailed the hotel and they confirmed that no cruise ships will be docking at Rangali Island in 2020.

It's possible this was a one-time thing and the bad experience has led management to decide to *not* do this again. They aren't a regular stop for any cruise line, and this one-time roving horde of hooligans perpetually at sea can probably find somewhere else in the Maldives to swarm upon in the future.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
I emailed the hotel and they confirmed that no cruise ships will be docking at Rangali Island in 2020.

It's possible this was a one-time thing and the bad experience has led management to decide to *not* do this again. They aren't a regular stop for any cruise line, and this one-time roving horde of hooligans perpetually at sea can probably find somewhere else in the Maldives to swarm upon in the future.
It was not the first time. We met a couple who happened to have stayed here for the previous visit by the ship about a year and half earlier. Not a high season and perhaps the ship staff weren't causing problems running amok that visit.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by texmanufan
It was not the first time. We met a couple who happened to have stayed here for the previous visit by the ship about a year and half earlier. Not a high season and perhaps the ship staff weren't causing problems running amok that visit.
Ah, I honestly assumed this was the first time because of how hard we've burned down Flyertalk (and to a lesser extent TripAdvisor) about it. Since I hadn't seen reference to this before, I assumed it had never happened.

Maybe they were more well-behaved the first time.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:47 am

Did we ever get that list of which DBVs are renovated?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:27 pm

Ah, I honestly assumed this was the first time because of how hard we've burned down Flyertalk (and to a lesser extent TripAdvisor) about it. Since I hadn't seen reference to this before, I assumed it had never happened.

Maybe they were more well-behaved the first time.
Most definitely not the first time. There have been other cruise ships there as well.

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Did we ever get that list of which DBVs are renovated?
124-140 and it seems a few in the high 200s going clockwise from 140.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:23 pm

Just a week now until I spend 6 nights there - can't wait! I can't contain my excitement!!

We upgraded to a SWV for the whole time and booked dinner at the underwater restaurant.

Any advice on activities (ex-scuba) or other restaurants (including where is the best breakfast) would be well received
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:58 pm

I read on Trip Advisor about the new management at Conrad Rangali allows cruise ships to dock and use the facility. Can someone please tell me how often the cruise boat stop by Conrad . I am planning the return trip to Conrad next year and need your inputs . Thank you
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
The answer can be found just a few posts above - post #3429 ( and others before that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.