Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Just arrived - looks like a great weather year (jinxed now for sure). Ruined only by the fact they haven’t upgraded us to the under water villa! (I suppose it is still only half built but even so I’d have been willing to give it a test run for them if they’d begged me to!)

Snazzy new TVs in the rooms (including full smart functionality for the hour while the wife’s hair is drying and other assorted faffing around is being endured). And it includes an info section that sets out various ‘policies’ including one on the use of drones - which for sure will divide opinions 50/50. (I happen to be in the camp where I don’t own one but would love to take a few great overhead shots for the album if I did - and feel confident I could be trusted - but feeling equally confident I’d feel jolly uncomfortable and on edge trusting others if I saw one scooting about overhead - oh the hypocrisy of that ah!)

Feels like there’s a rather quieter crowd here this year, which feels nice!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Splotly
Just arrived - looks like a great weather year (jinxed now for sure).
It's supposed to rain tomorrow and Sunday.

Feels like there’s a rather quieter crowd here this year, which feels nice!
We have no basis for comparison since it's our first time here, but we feel like it's quiet. Certainly there was more activity when we walked over to the main island awhile ago, but on the water villa island it seems like there aren't many people around.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:59 am

And it includes an info section that sets out various ‘policies’ including one on the use of drones - which for sure will divide opinions 50/50. (I happen to be in the camp where I don’t own one but would love to take a few great overhead shots for the album if I did - and feel confident I could be trusted - but feeling equally confident I’d feel jolly uncomfortable and on edge trusting others if I saw one scooting about overhead - oh the hypocrisy of that ah!)
Sensible policies need to exist. It's less of an issue right now because the good drones are huge and expensive. But as technology gets cheaper and smaller, the best resorts will set themselves apart by banning or severely restricting the use of the stupid things.

Imagine: If your villa neighbor's teenage brat could shoot 8K video using something as small as a coconut and no louder than the waves crashing on the beach, wouldn't that absolutely demolish any feelings of privacy that you thought you could enjoy on your exclusive getaway?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Sensible policies need to exist. It's less of an issue right now because the good drones are huge and expensive. But as technology gets cheaper and smaller, the best resorts will set themselves apart by banning or severely restricting the use of the stupid things.

Imagine: If your villa neighbor's teenage brat could shoot 8K video using something as small as a coconut and no louder than the waves crashing on the beach, wouldn't that absolutely demolish any feelings of privacy that you thought you could enjoy on your exclusive getaway?
The policy here seems exactly the right one - 100% clear and unambiguous - I.e. it says, “no drones, but go to security if you have one and they’ll inform you on if, where and how etc”.

Currently sat on th deck watching shooting stars with the wife. Score is currently 5-1 to me even though I’m doing this!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
I hear ya.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:52 am

Just swapped to a retreat water villa (from a deluxe water villa)... first time we’ve ever tried one of these - loving it - we should keep how good these are a secret!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
we should keep how good these are a secret!
Too late now!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle

Snazzy new TVs in the rooms
Was this in a Deluxe Water Villa? That is good to see - those TVs needed upgrading. Did they also upgrade the speaker system? We could never get it to work right in the SWV on our last trip.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Michael19887
Was this in a Deluxe Water Villa? That is good to see - those TVs needed upgrading. Did they also upgrade the speaker system? We could never get it to work right in the SWV on our last trip.
Yes and also in the same (but slightly smaller one) in the retreat water villa. Sport channels list isn’t great actually - only about 10 channels (some repeated but in HD) so covering only a narrow range - eg PGA isn’t on).

Afraid I didn’t notice on the sounds system front. Just went inside and had a look for that in this retreat water villa for you - there’s a sub woffa but I’m damned if I can I the speakers or remote etc to tell what/if there is one here!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Any news on what this will cost a night?
There were some posts about it a few pages back. 30-50K/N, ++ I presume.

I would presume their lawyers added that. Easier (legally) to charge more for a room, and provide “free” dinner, on a specific night, than force guests to pay for a dinner/event they may not attend.
Exactly. They are putting the squeeze on everything profit-wise and have been since Stefano took over. A recent TA member put it well, and he finished his review with something like "Raise the room rate instead of nickel and diming, forcing guests to buy bottled water and charging the earth for it." I agree and it's not exactly environmentally friendly either.

Bora Bora resorts do the same thing. We were traveling with our 5 year old one year and told them we would not be attending as she would be asleep. They let us get room service that night, since all other restaurants were closed, and only charged us the regular room service rate.
Do they use pretty much the exact same phrasing?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I requested the stuffed animals from our host, and upon returning from breakfast this morning we found a dolphin and a manta ray in a Conrad labeled bag. It's my understanding that they're mostly out of stock and haven't chosen to restock them, but the original set used to contain 6?

Last edited by Majuki; Aug 12, 2018 at 3:52 am
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by rkaradi
Honeslty, I don’t mind them being in the same place. I feel it’s got to be a convenience factor for buggies etc. since SO many people go to both. From a perspective of where it’s held, back in 2009 on our first visit tea was at Rangali Bar, so Mandhoo or Vilu is a 100% upgrade.
That's because you've gone from Rangali Bar (I must admit that's the worst place I could think of to hold afternoon tea!!) to Vilu so of course it's an upgrade. Problem is, Vilu is a serious downgrade if you've ever had it at Mandhoo.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:51 pm

Do children under two years also receive a baggage allowance on the flight?

Are there high chairs available at all the various restaurants ?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong
Do children under two years also receive a baggage allowance on the flight?

Are there high chairs available at all the various restaurants ?
would be interested to know this as well.

is it 25 kg baggage allowance per human (regardless of whether human is 1 day old or 99 years old) ?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I requested the stuffed animals from our host, and upon returning from breakfast this morning we found a dolphin and a manta ray in a Conrad labeled bag. It's my understanding that they're mostly out of stock and haven't chosen to restock them, but the original set used to contain 6?

just curious - are these soft toys typically given to guest brand new on the bed for you to take home? or is it only meant for decoration on bed and are recycled each time for new incoming guest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.