Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: AA PP (1MM), Admirals Club, HH Diamond
Having stayed at very few Asian resorts (Conrad Bali was our only one so far) what is the tipping etiquette for Conrad Maldives? Do you tip individuals as you get service, or assign tips to your bill for the various staff at the end of the trip?

And do you bother getting Maldivian rufiyaa or is there any advantage to the staff to give USD in cash?

I know there are a lot of schools of thought on this but I would appreciate any insight as to what is fair and what might get you truly exceptional service.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Hilton Moorea
do you only see the more colorful corals when swim further out? bc i dont recall seeing any (that looks alive) around the overwater villa areas.

Originally Posted by passionforhotels
Coral bleaching happened across the Maldives in 2016 due to the rise in water temperature. Thus, corals at shallower levels were affected, but reefs in deeper waters, or in locations where cooler water from depths was constantly cooling it (eg: reefs on the edge of deep water channels) fared better. Unfortunately this means that by definition most house reefs (whether resort or inhabited island or deserted island) struggled in the bleaching as by definition they tend to be in shallower water. Anything below 5m or subject to cooler water currents is doing better.
Ah i see. thanks for the explanation, appreciate it!

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
House reef at the Park Hyatt Maldives looked much better than the Rangali reef, even in shallow water. Maybe the coral bleach wasn‘t as bad so far south.
better underwater wildlife viewing there, or in conrad maldives?
​​​​​​​
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: AA PP (1MM), Admirals Club, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Willbur
What type of rates have people been getting offered after booking water villa at 95k points?
We're arriving on April 23 for a seven night stay, and booked the water villa at 95k points. We were offered an upgrade to Superior Water Villa at $110.88 USD inclusive of tax per night. Seemed reasonable to me so we're doing that.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by IvanCU
Having stayed at very few Asian resorts (Conrad Bali was our only one so far) what is the tipping etiquette for Conrad Maldives? Do you tip individuals as you get service, or assign tips to your bill for the various staff at the end of the trip?
I tipped at the time of service. There is no opportunity to assign anything at the end of the trip.

And do you bother getting Maldivian rufiyaa or is there any advantage to the staff to give USD in cash?
Don't bother. USD is the resort currency.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Originally Posted by gnomey

Of course also many dead Corals at the Park Hyatt Maldives, but more colorful corals left.
Wildlife superb, we saw lots of clownfish, sharks, two different turtles.
Water during snorkeling was warmer than in CR and no waves at all, but that may be because of the season. (Been to Rangali during christmas and to Park Hyatt during Easter time)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:14 am

Most people from the US like to give extra tips even though there is a 10% service charge which is distributed evenly among the staff. And most people give tips on the last day and individually to each person they feel worthy of it. That way it goes to the individual rather than split between more than 500 staff.

No need whatsoever to get local currency as the staff there receive extra tips in USD.

I know there are a lot of schools of thought on this but I would appreciate any insight as to what is fair and what might get you truly exceptional service.
You have to keep in mind that it's a Conrad which has high standards to begin with, and this is the Maldives where the locals are exceptionally friendly and competent at what they do so you aren't going to get a different level of service if you tip big rather than small, tip rather than not tip, etc. There is one exception and that is if you tip big you will get a soft toy!*

(Sorry, house joke. See the posts regarding Conrad soft toys further back in the thread and on this page to get it)
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
I tipped at the time of service. There is no opportunity to assign anything at the end of the trip.
Actually you can leave something for the staff at the end of your stay. You just need to specify how much and for who. For example, on one of our stays our deposit was just a little over the actual bill so I just told them not to bother refunding the cash (used cash that time, not a CC) and it was on the final bill as a gratuity. We've also left items for individuals after check-out. Just put whatever you want to leave in an envelope (or bag, depending on what it is) with the staff member's name on it and give it to the front desk. Just make sure that if it's not the room boy or the host, be sure to check with the FD that the name you've written is specific enough, i.e; For Mohammed in F&B isn't going to cut it because there's more than likely 2 or 3 or more Mohammeds in each department.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:39 pm

House reef at the Park Hyatt Maldives looked much better than the Rangali reef, even in shallow water. Maybe the coral bleach wasn‘t as bad so far south.
Coral bleaching is to do with water temperature. If the surrounding water was cooler, then the coral won't bleach as badly. I would guess that as the water tends to be deeper in the south, it may have kept a degree or two cooler. As I wrote, corals in locations where cooler water from depths was constantly cooling it did better than those that got hit by warmer water.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by gnomey
do you only see the more colorful corals when swim further out? bc i dont recall seeing any (that looks alive) around the overwater villa areas.

Ah i see. thanks for the explanation, appreciate it!

Hilton Moorea - swim out past the end most owb 50-100 yards to be in the midst of the best snorkeling that we’ve seen in FP (that is accessible without boat)
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:49 am

Underwater Suite

Today new information about the new underwater suite called „The Muraka“ were published:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300631018.htmlOn Facebook Conrad Maldives even posted a great video about the construction work
Not sure, if MaldivesFreak is able to watch it in China..

Last edited by tom-schmitt; Apr 17, 2018 at 1:13 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Today new information about the new underwater suite called „The Muraka“ were published:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300631018.htmlOn Facebook Conrad Maldives even posted a great video about the construction workhttps://www.facebook.com/ConradMaldi...5484382276769/Not sure, if MaldivesFreak is able to watch it in China..https://www.facebook.com/ConradMaldi...5484382276769/
Excited until I saw "accomodates 9". That means probably 8-12K a night. I'd pay 3,500 for a single night as a super-treat (almost did SunWV at 2K for a night until I found out I would not get #50). But some things remain out of reach.

Meanwhile an article on WA Maldives features an image that seems to imply they will have an underwater suite, but no details offered.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:18 am

When we there in Dec./January we were told that the rates will probably be around 30.000$/night .
Guests of the underwater suite willeven have their own seaplane pier!
So absolute privacy, no contact to other guests needed. They want to attract people, who normally would charter a yacht and are traveling with their own nannies, security, ..
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:05 am

When we there in Dec./January we were told that the rates will probably be around 30.000$/night .
Guests of the underwater suite willeven have their own seaplane pier!
So absolute privacy, no contact to other guests needed. They want to attract people, who normally would charter a yacht and are traveling with their own nannies, security, ..
So, upgrades from a BV will be only $29,000++?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:42 am

I had emailed about upgrading for one or two nights to the Muraka, and this was the response I got :

Thank you for your kind reply.
THE MURAKA is an exclusive, unique residence that is unavailable anywhere else in the world. Every stay is unique and hyper-personalized to the guest's preferences. It is the only residence that allows you to fully immerse in the open sea, surrounded by coral reef and natural sea life. Thus, a definitive rate cannot be put on the experience and is on consultation with THE MURAKA personnel team.
Which is a long, polite way of telling me, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it"
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:04 am

Just got back from Conrad Maldives and have not seen my HHonors points posted to my account yet. How long does it take for the spend to be posted usually? Been back for 1.5 weeks now.

Thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.