Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by texmanufan
Not sure what your status is. I am considering my personal experience as a Diamond visiting this resort three times and my conversations with many other guests while there. You may get a free upgrade to the Water Villa, Deluxe Beach Villa or Retreat Water Villa as a Diamond. Not a sure thing though. If you desire a specific Villa type then by all means pay the upgrade but try to negotiate a better rate. Know that if you do pay for an upgrade you will be flagged as a “sucker” and in subsequent visits will less likely get free upgrades.

You have likely lessened your chances of a free upgrade by emailing and asking. A good strategy might be to pay for the two nights at the beginning of the stay and cross your fingers you aren’t moved.

Not sure your length of visit but another strategy is bookending a paid upgrade of one or two nights at a Deluxe Beach Villa with one or two nights of a Retreat Water Villa at the end leaving you with a likely upgrade of one of these two categories in between. The move is very easy and gives you two totally different experiences.
Texmanufan,

I also hold an diamond status as well, and I am going to stay there for 7 day. Base on your experience I either don't upgrade at all and see if they going to upgrade me when I check in? or I can pay only for the first 2 night and wish they will allow me to stay in the same room for the remain 5 night? in the email they also provide me what available, does this mean the resort is full base on the date they provider?

Water Villa is available from 22nd January onwards and Superior Water Villa is available from 24th January onwards.

Deluxe Beach Villa, Retreat Water Villa and Deluxe Water Villa is available from 19th to 26th January 2018

Originally Posted by mortarteam91
Data point: Emailed Conrad to be matched to the rate above (BV to SWV) and was successful! (Previous negotiated rate was $350 inclusive of taxes). A little surprised given that we only requested to upgrade two nights in late Feb.

Also in the email the seaplane cost was quoted as $500++. Not sure if the new rate will be applied on arrival or we will get the grandfathered rate of $500++.

Mortarteam91,

Do you email the Rep that help you, or do you email directly with Conrad? would you mind tell me what do you write to request for matching? Because the quote the rep send me is expensive than the once you quote? thank you!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Go for a SWV. Much better value for money than the standard WVs and ony $50++ more per night. We've been to Rangali 5 times with 2 of those including upgrades to SWVs. Make your decision about a SWV quick though because there are only 12 and they get booked quickly.

MaldivesFreak,

It look like you are right, because they say "Superior Water Villa is available from 24th January onwards" which mean if I want the upgrade then I only able to upgrade 2 night because my stay end on 26th of January. Since you been there 5 time already, what is the different between those 3 type Superior Water Villa VS Retreat Water Villa VS Deluxe Water Villa? in your option you think SWV is much better value for the money than the other 2? Sorry for asking to much because I don't know if I can ever come back here, so I just want to make sure to enjoy it as much as possible. Have you ever try to match the lower price the rep quote you?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Mortarteam91,

Do you email the Rep that help you, or do you email directly with Conrad? would you mind tell me what do you write to request for matching? Because the quote the rep send me is expensive than the once you quote? thank you!
I initially emailed the reservation department (email is in the wiki), then I followed up directly with the person that replied (in my case it's [email protected]).

In the email I mentioned that I saw there are forum members who got a better rate and asked if we can get the rate as well. Might help that I'm a Diamond though so YMMV.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:42 am

what is the different between those 3 type Superior Water Villa VS Retreat Water Villa VS Deluxe Water Villa?
Since there are no posts comparing all these types together I can suggest you look for some videos on YouTube. That way you'll be able to see first hand the inside of the villas and make a more informed decision based on what you like and what you dont.

in your option you think SWV is much better value for the money than the other 2?
For sunset views, SWVs and DWVs are guaranteed and perhaps for a first timer there's really not a hell of a lot of difference between the two except for price. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with a SWV and so I suggest saving the money by not upgrading to a DWV over a SWV and spend it elsewhere at the resort.

Have you ever try to match the lower price the rep quote you?
You mean have I ever tried to negotiate a lower price than a rep has quoted me? Sure, although it's not easy to get below the 20% off the standard upgrade rate. It pays to remember that upgrade rates change all the time depending on availability and secondly, you're certainly not going to have much success if you start quoting the (lowest) rates here in this thread.

And thanks for those upgrade rates. I've added the appropriate ones to the wiki.

Also, and FEI, I've re-edited the wiki and deleted the $560++ so it's back to like it was before the recent confusion about the seaplane price.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Since there are no posts comparing all these types together I can suggest you look for some videos on YouTube. That way you'll be able to see first hand the inside of the villas and make a more informed decision based on what you like and what you dont.

For sunset views, SWVs and DWVs are guaranteed and perhaps for a first timer there's really not a hell of a lot of difference between the two except for price. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with a SWV and so I suggest saving the money by not upgrading to a DWV over a SWV and spend it elsewhere at the resort.

You mean have I ever tried to negotiate a lower price than a rep has quoted me? Sure, although it's not easy to get below the 20% off the standard upgrade rate. It pays to remember that upgrade rates change all the time depending on availability and secondly, you're certainly not going to have much success if you start quoting the (lowest) rates here in this thread.

And thanks for those upgrade rates. I've added the appropriate ones to the wiki.

Also, and FEI, I've re-edited the wiki and deleted the $560++ so it's back to like it was before the recent confusion about the seaplane price.
MaldivesFreak,

I took your advice and upgrade 2 night for SWV in advance with the rep. Do you know any specific BV that towards the ocean from the room? I just don't want them put us in a room facing the property instead of the ocean? Thanks mate!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by texmanufan
Not sure what your status is. I am considering my personal experience as a Diamond visiting this resort three times and my conversations with many other guests while there. You may get a free upgrade to the Water Villa, Deluxe Beach Villa or Retreat Water Villa as a Diamond. Not a sure thing though. If you desire a specific Villa type then by all means pay the upgrade but try to negotiate a better rate. Know that if you do pay for an upgrade you will be flagged as a “sucker” and in subsequent visits will less likely get free upgrades.

You have likely lessened your chances of a free upgrade by emailing and asking. A good strategy might be to pay for the two nights at the beginning of the stay and cross your fingers you aren’t moved.

Not sure your length of visit but another strategy is bookending a paid upgrade of one or two nights at a Deluxe Beach Villa with one or two nights of a Retreat Water Villa at the end leaving you with a likely upgrade of one of these two categories in between. The move is very easy and gives you two totally different experiences.
I wish I knew of this good tip before my asking for upgrade

I wonder if anyone have ever to get free upgrade from Water villa to retreat water villa for a couple nights.

What is chances for getting a room #you request for 5 nights in water villa. I receive a reply saying will do their best to grant my room request, but not guarantee .
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:33 pm

MaldivesFreak,

I took your advice and upgrade 2 night for SWV in advance with the rep. Do you know any specific BV that towards the ocean from the room? I just don't want them put us in a room facing the property instead of the ocean? Thanks mate!
The BVs numbered in the 200s are ocean-facing, but you can't see the ocean directly from the room, you just see foilage (trees and plants). In actuality this means when you walk from the patio to the beach and arrive at the beach you have ocean views and aren't facing the other island so you should ask for one of those.

As for villa selection, avoid 201-204/205 as that's the area of the beach where the volleyball court is. I would recommend any of 213-216 as a preference. Just remember that with all but 2* of the BVs on the main island, you can't see the ocean directly from the room. BVs have foilage that keeps each villa private from the beach and there is a short pathway for each villa that winds a little left and right to get you to the beach. Note that 213 has a direct view of the beach and you can see it and the ocean from your patio. So for privacy, you may want to request 214-216.

* FEI, 112 is the only BV where the pathway is straight on the sunset side. I don't think I've ever mentioned this before.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Oct 22, 2017 at 6:55 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by lizs
Here are a few additional reviews that may be of interest. Per usual please let me know if you notice any errors, confusing language, etc!

Hilton Gold and Diamond Benefits: A recap of Atoll and Vilu Breakfasts, Mandhoo Tea, and Vilu Happy Hour
Conrad Maldives Airport Lounge and Seaplane Ride
Cocktails at Ithaa

Also, yes, I had a commenter say "what did you expect from Ithaa?" but I really guess I did expect more of a WOW after all the great reviews. But nothing is for everyone!
Hi lizs.

Thanks for posting the additional reviews! I'll add them to the wiki. May I add some suggestions and ask a question or two?
For 'Hilton Gold and Diamond Benefits: A recap of Atoll and Vilu Breakfasts, Mandhoo Tea, and Vilu Happy Hour'
* Add 'Afternoon' to 'Conrad Maldives Mandhoo Tea', i.e; 'Conrad Maldives Mandhoo Afternoon Tea'
* Do you have a photo of the $25 spa discount card given to Diamonds? If so, would you be able to add it to the review?
* Add 'free' to 'Diamond members receive the above plus access to the Conrad Airport Lounge upon departure' to make it clear that the lounge is still available to anyone, but at cost

For 'Conrad Maldives Airport Lounge and Seaplane Ride'
* You could mention the $60 tax for the seaplane ride
* Add the bolded items to 'Had I known exactly how pricey the food and drinks were at the Conrad I may have snuck a few items into my suitcase!'

For 'Cocktails at Ithaa'
* Taxes are 23.2%, not 22%
* You said "Overall, even though I have certainly spent a lot of money on decadent meals before, not the sort of experience that I thought would ever make $915 including tax and service charge, before drinks, worth it."
Dinner for two, before drinks and including taxes, is $800.80. How did you come to the figure of $915?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
I wish I knew of this good tip before my asking for upgrade

I wonder if anyone have ever to get free upgrade from Water villa to retreat water villa for a couple nights.

What is chances for getting a room #you request for 5 nights in water villa. I receive a reply saying will do their best to grant my room request, but not guarantee .
I think it's rare, but we got an upgrade from a BV to a RWV for 10 nights on a points stay earlier in the year ...
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
I think it's rare, but we got an upgrade from a BV to a RWV for 10 nights on a points stay earlier in the year ...
Did you get that without any paid upgrade (BV->DBV, BV->WV...)?

As I wrote in # 3087, we paid for a DBV upgrade but got upgraded to a DWV instead. (beeing Diamond)

Last edited by alp67; Oct 23, 2017 at 5:03 am
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alp67
As I wrote in # 3087, we paid for a DBV upgrade but got upgraded to a DBV instead.
So, you got what you paid for.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by goliath
So, you got what you paid for.
It's Monday....
THX mate, corrected it!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by alp67
Did you get that without any paid upgrade (BV->DBV, BV->WV...)?

As I wrote in # 3087, we paid for a DBV upgrade but got upgraded to a DWV instead. (beeing Diamond)
Yes, no paid upgrade.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:52 am

Nice score! I don't know which is rarer, BV to RWV or the 10 nights. We got 3 out of our 7 on a half points and half cash stay (also earlier this year) and might have gotten all 7 nights if there was availability in that category. Very grateful and happy nonetheless.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Not terribly rare. I’ve met several who have. It’s one of the three room categories they like to upgrade to. The wiki really should be updated to reflect this in light of the lengthy space to those who do pay for upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.