Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Surfers Paradise {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Any regulars here know if the room rates in the hotel are likely to go below AUD215 per night?

Looking at going in May 2014 (so place should be fairly dead) and trying to decide if I should book now, or sit it out just incase a sale comes along. Do sales ever happen in the Aussie Hiltons??

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2015, 3:55 pm
cjd

Stayed here midweek for a couple of nights in March. Booked a 2 bedroom apartment in the Residences as initially some friends were joining us there. Instead, they joined us at the Hilton Melbourne! Anyway, apartment was very nice with 2 bathrooms and balcony with great ocean views. Utility room had washer/drier which got well used as we'd been in Australia about 2 weeks by then. Think we had a similar apartment to lifetimeblue as his photos look very familiar. The residences are on the higher floors of the hotel. Wasn't sure if we'd get Exec lounge access as Diamond by staying in the Residences, but we did and thought it was a great lounge, very big with plenty of seats and great views. Service was good and there was a reasonable selection of hot and cold food and drinks. Even had room service in the lounge one evening which I thought was rather unusual, but very nice. Given choice of breakfast in the lounge or full buffet in the restaurant. Self parking was AU$15 in the large underground car park. Enjoyed the stay and thought it was a great location so close to the main entrance to Surfers Paradise's wonderful beaches.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by cjd
Stayed here midweek for a couple of nights in March. Booked a 2 bedroom apartment in the Residences as initially some friends were joining us there. Instead, they joined us at the Hilton Melbourne! Anyway, apartment was very nice with 2 bathrooms and balcony with great ocean views. Utility room had washer/drier which got well used as we'd been in Australia about 2 weeks by then. Think we had a similar apartment to lifetimeblue as his photos look very familiar. The residences are on the higher floors of the hotel. Wasn't sure if we'd get Exec lounge access as Diamond by staying in the Residences, but we did and thought it was a great lounge, very big with plenty of seats and great views. Service was good and there was a reasonable selection of hot and cold food and drinks. Even had room service in the lounge one evening which I thought was rather unusual, but very nice. Given choice of breakfast in the lounge or full buffet in the restaurant. Self parking was AU$15 in the large underground car park. Enjoyed the stay and thought it was a great location so close to the main entrance to Surfers Paradise's wonderful beaches.
Thanks for the update, as we are going back on 13th May.
Booked the 2 bed deluxe again. Good to hear Diamond gets lounge access! Was it just beer & wine I take it, no spirits?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Just had a stay at the 2 bedroom residence and was told they don't do upgrades at the Residences even for Diamonds. Upgrades are only provided at the hotel tower not the residence tower. Is this correct?

Also they are now charging $10 extra for breakfast at the restaurant. Diamonds can have breakfast in the lounge but there are only cold items. This is disappointing as even when I stayed there last year as Gold, I had full breakfast at the restaurant for free. I have read they were given residence upgrades before so it would appear there have been some policy changes.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Just had a stay at the 2 bedroom residence and was told they don't do upgrades at the Residences even for Diamonds. Upgrades are only provided at the hotel tower not the residence tower. Is this correct?

Also they are now charging $10 extra for breakfast at the restaurant. Diamonds can have breakfast in the lounge but there are only cold items. This is disappointing as even when I stayed there last year as Gold, I had full breakfast at the restaurant for free. I have read they were given residence upgrades before so it would appear there have been some policy changes.
I had a recent stay at the Surfers Paradise Hilton. As HH D, I had breakfast in the 1st floor restaurant and it was great! No additional $10 charge, although it would certainly be worth paying an extra $10 AUD. However I was staying in the hotel section, not the Residences. Maybe
this makes a difference?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: All Diamond
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I had a recent stay at the Surfers Paradise Hilton. As HH D, I had breakfast in the 1st floor restaurant and it was great! No additional $10 charge, although it would certainly be worth paying an extra $10 AUD. However I was staying in the hotel section, not the Residences. Maybe
this makes a difference?
Just booked my first stay as HH D at Surfers and was wondering if lounge access still comes free with HH D status ?
With thanks
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by sycokid
Just booked my first stay as HH D at Surfers and was wondering if lounge access still comes free with HH D status ?
With thanks
It should, yes.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by sycokid
With thanks
Originally Posted by saaveraward
It should, yes.
I agree. HH D should always entitle you to lounge access, if there is an executive lounge. My only disappointment with my stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise was their slow Internet Wi-Fi speed.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: All Diamond
Originally Posted by saaveraward
It should, yes.
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I agree. HH D should always entitle you to lounge access, if there is an executive lounge. My only disappointment with my stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise was their slow Internet Wi-Fi speed.
Thanks folks ^
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:02 am

:< salt restaurant is closed.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:41 pm

Anyone stayed here recently and would care to comment on what to expect with regards to food/drink offerings in the Exec Lounge? Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:45 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bm109
Anyone stayed here recently and would care to comment on what to expect with regards to food/drink offerings in the Exec Lounge? Thanks.
Yes. In the lounge they do coffees all day barista style. Can't comment on the breakfast as Diamonds get full breakfast but the evening spread includes a soup, salad bar, cheeses, two hot items, an ice cream fridge and desserts.

Beer, sparkling wine and red/white are on show, spirits are by request as they are hidden out the back (and appear to be poor quality).
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:37 am

Thanks. Sounds good. Just to be clear, Diamonds can take a full breakfast in the restaurant for no additional charge?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:21 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Yes, that's correct.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:51 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Aircon, what aircon? Overpriced for a property built by the lowest bidder

Hilton Surfers Paradise Residences

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

6 Orchid Avenue Surfers Paradise, QL AU 4217

Aircon, what aircon? Overpriced for a property built by the lowest bidder (2 Photos)

image.jpgIMG_1467.JPG

Check In

Things did not get off to a great start, finding a car park was fun and the design of the hotel means the garbage permeates through the car park in the form of a horrid smell. Although I didn't know it at the time you need a separate lounge access key and this was not given to me on checkin, despite being mentioned that I had lounge access. As it was late Friday, I had no intentions of using the lounge until the next day.

Room

First room I had was in the residential only tower, on level 15. Unfortunately it had an aircon problem that saw it shut down after five minutes, and the noise from the street was loud. As a result we moved on the second day which took some organising, to a residence in the main tower on the 25th floor, and while the aircon worked well in most of the apartment, the main bedroom seemed to lack any ventilation, a second average night of sleep was experienced. At least the street noise was more subdued in the main tower.

Dining

Breakfast was good, taken in the restaurant for no extra charge as a diamond. On,y beef was the extra charge for espresso coffee, a continuing issue I have with sadly many properties. I also used the apartment to cook a meal, we had to ring for a frypan and one bowl was missing. Seems housekeeping don't keep track of what should be in the kitchen.

Service

Service was very good, especially in the lounge.

Location would be the main selling point of the property, but also a downside. You are in the heart of the surfers area with eateries, shops etc, but the hotels main entrance is located in the nightclub area, somewhat seedy.

Overall

I really struggled to see any merit in returning to this hotel. Two nights on a weekend in the off season for $800+ is hardly a bargain. The rooms were OK but feeling the results of a few years without love. The hotel is also poorly designed, with long walks to get anywhere, even if it's just to the restaurant for breakfast. The pool area is nice, and unusually the water was cold despite it still being summer in temperature, a nice surprise.

The lounge is nice and a standout, but why have it on a floor that requires a change of life to access it if your on floors 16 through to 55?

Overall the property reminds me a lot of the Sydney Hilton, high rates, small to average rooms and a real focus on making sure the money is in their pocket not yours. Poor and/or non working aircon in a building of its age is unacceptable, as is the lack of care shown by housekeeping and maintenance staff in general. The lounge chairs were feral with stains.

Aircon, what aircon? Overpriced for a property built by the lowest bidder

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Surfers Paradise Residences?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.