Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Budapest, Hungary {HUN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Budapest, Hungary {HUN}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Have one stay each scheduled at the West End and Castle Hiltons next month. Any recommendations for good local restaurants in the area of each of these? Good food where locals go, moderately priced. Atmosphere not as important as quality of food and value for the meal/experience. We are planning to take the airport shuttle from the airport to Castle Hilton if you have any tips or comments on that strategy (2 persons).
Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:19 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Have one stay each scheduled at the West End and Castle Hiltons next month. Any recommendations for good local restaurants in the area of each of these? Good food where locals go, moderately priced. Atmosphere not as important as quality of food and value for the meal/experience.
Not sure if it meets all your requirements, but we had an excellent meal at Menza, Liszt Ferenc tér 2, Opera metro. Mix of locals and tourists. Large wine selection. It's a bit of a hike, but we walked to it from the West End.

Another one that's a bit of a hike but also walkable from the West End that we enjoyed is Café Kor. Also a mix of locals and tourists.

Most of the restaurants around the Castle Hilton are touristy, but we had a great meal at Café Pierrot (although a bit pricey). They have a sister restaurant across the street, 21 Magyar Vendeglo. Less pricey and good food.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Have one stay each scheduled at the West End and Castle Hiltons next month. Any recommendations for good local restaurants in the area of each of these? Good food where locals go, moderately priced. Atmosphere not as important as quality of food and value for the meal/experience. We are planning to take the airport shuttle from the airport to Castle Hilton if you have any tips or comments on that strategy (2 persons).
Thanks in advance.
You have to go down the hill from the Castle Hilton for that. The Castle Hilton is on top of a hill, right next to Fisherman's Bastion, which is a gorgeus place to watch the sunset hitting the opposite side of the river, but the selection of restaurants on the Buda side is within a couple blocks of the river.

(By the time I was ready for that, I had already gotten a multi-day Metro pass, and I would walk down the hill but often take the bus or the subway + bus back up the hill if I didn't want to schlep all the way back up.)

Just a few blocks from the Chain Bridge is:

http://www.horgasztanyavendeglo.hu/ (click on British flag logo to get English version)

which is a restaurant that has a wide choice of Hungarian fish dishes and fish soups. (Different regions of Hungary have different styles of fish dishes, and this restaurant features a variety of those.)

(I got this one as a recommendation from someone who'd visisted Budapest some 20 years ago. Yes, it's been around longer than that! But I can't find it in any tour books, so I guess it's mostly for locals. Yaay! )

Down the hill in the other direction is a vegan "point and shoot" mini-cafeteria type of place called Edeni Vegan, and it's super cheap; you can get completely stuffed on well under $10. And the dishes are mostly local (in vegan versions, obviously). Different dishes every day, so I didn't mind returning several times.

(I found this one in Rick Steves' book on Budapest.)

Both of these restaurants, btw, are cash only (no matter what the above website may claim about "Credit card acceptance: all types")!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta, HH Diamond, Marriott, AA Gold
I have stayed at the Budapest Hilton - Castle several times. #1 for two people it is best to take a cab from the airport. #2) the hotel is up on a hill. The walk up could be a challenge. Get a transit pass. The ability to get on and off a bus / tram / metro at any time will make your visit more enjoyable.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:21 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Follow up on recent PL stay at Westend. . Great staff + very good lounge = a very pleasant stay. Very grateful for diamond benefits being offered and early check-in allowed.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
What are the Diamond benefits here?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Wadge
What are the Diamond benefits here?
If you have "My way" set to "Upgrade...", as I do when visiting these properties, you get EL access, upgrade to a ER if available, and normally also a piece of cake and a bottle of local champagne + mineral water.
IIRC you can also have the b/fast in the main restaurant.

And naturally, free internet.

Some here have mentioned that at the Budapest Hilton they got a room with the Pest view, which is fabulous, but I have never.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Huge difference in the feel between the West End and Castle Hilton Exec Lounges. The Castle EL feels more classy with larger variety and much higher quality of food (both in the Exec Lounge and Breakfast restaurant). The hot dinner selections could serve as a true dinner and variety rotated throughout the evening. They serve a good Hungarian red, white and rose wine, Stella Artois and Becks beer and a large selection of cocktails including a kosher slivavitz (sp?). The quality of the fruit was particulary excellent when we were there.

The West End feel is more modern and the EL has a wonderful terrace for outdoor dining or enjoying a smoke. Food quality is just ok. Most sandwiches highly meat oriented. One night the hot choices were fried onion rings or fried mozzerella sticks--not very healthy or satisfying. Small selection. Fruit poor quality. Wine is French but not drinkable. Beer was choice of Dreher, Beck and Heineken which to me seem very similar and none are to my taste. Why not add a variety of Stella or Leffe or something amber or dark?

Service in both Lounges was excellent. The West End service includes a nice gentleman who kindly offers to refill your wine glass. Lovely gesture but wish the wine was better quality.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Example of the new web site finally working to our advantage, has Castle booked for 35k June 5-8 decided to check West End for fun, site gave me 25100/75300 for the 3 nights; jumped all over it. How does a 35k hotel go for 25k, even gave me some kind of deluxe room?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Example of the new web site finally working to our advantage, has Castle booked for 35k June 5-8 decided to check West End for fun, site gave me 25100/75300 for the 3 nights; jumped all over it. How does a 35k hotel go for 25k, even gave me some kind of deluxe room?
Probably a points stretcher promotion. I've booked two nights at the Hilton Kuala Lumpur at Christmas. The award rate is usually 40k per night but with the points stretcher I got it for 25k per night.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
I am currently at the West End. Nice upgrade to Jr suite. Lounge staff very attentive and helpful. Hotel is connected to an impressive shopping mall and the railroad station with direct train connection to terminal 1. You have to take a city bus from terminal1 to terminal2.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Any updates, West End has Great Getaway at $85 vs Castle at $105 AP for July.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:37 pm

I stayed at the WestEnd for (4) nights earlier this month. Liked it a lot. Got an upgrade to the executive floor with a lounge access. Nice welcoming gift: a plate of chocolate desserts and a bottle of wine. I chose to have breakfast at the restaurant downstairs which was very good, especially breads and pastries. In the evenings, there was a good variety of hot snacks and desserts at the lounge. Local wine (Tokai?) was superb. The lounge terrace was overflowing with roses and lavender.
The location of the hotel is far from perfect if you are playing a tourist. But if you can master Budapest's public transportation it is a piece of cake to get to all the touristy sites in less than 10 minutes. The entrance to the Metro is practically at the door steps of the hotel.
Definitely a nice hotel, I would not hesitate to stay there again.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmandrew
Any updates, West End has Great Getaway at $85 vs Castle at $105 AP for July.
Both prices are excellent.

If visiting as a tourist I would stay at the Castle due to the location which is quite impressive for a first time visitor.

If visiting for work or frequently returning to Budapest- West End as the locaiton is more convenient for getting in/out of the CBD etc.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA .75K, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm staying at the WestEnd Hilton, and it is great. Good treatment for Diamonds, and nice breakfast like most of the Hiltons in Europe. I went to the other Hilton, at the top of the hill near Buda Castle. This is not a convenient location, and taxis here are expensive. I talked to someone last night who told me the tax fare is $30USD each way from the hotel to the CBD. In the summer heat, you would not want to schlep up the hill with your bags in tow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.