Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Budapest, Hungary {HUN}

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Budapest, Hungary {HUN}

Old May 24, 2002, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Budapest, Hungary {HUN}

Hi everyone, I am going to Budapest this weekend. I have the choice between the Hilton Budapest and Hilton Budapest West End.

Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels? If so, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance--

Hank
Old May 24, 2002, 9:19 pm

Programs: FL, AA, DL
I stayed at the West End Hilton about a year ago. It was nice, and the rooms were decent sized. Satellite TV, standard room amenities, modern bathroom, what you'd expect in a Hilton. The executive floor was nice (I got access to it as a Hilton Gold member), and had snacks in the evening, drinks (not sure on alcoholic selection), etc., etc. The exercise room was small, and all I used was the exercise bike.

It's a decent location. Metro in a block, and a huge mall adjacent if you're missing anything. It's also next to the train station that heads into Slovakia and the Czech Republic. I didn't find many restaurants near there, but I didn't look. All in all, I preferred being on the Buda side of the river.

Oh, anecdote time. I was talking to this one guy in the lounge. Seems a couple nights below he'd come in to a dark room, and gone to bed without turning on much in lights. Then he hears a rustliing. Loud. He turns on the light, and there's a bat up in the corner of the room. He high-tailed it out and contacted the front desk, who sent someone up to capture it in a bag. I think they moved him into a new room and fetched his stuff. The desk assured him that bats in guest rooms weren't common. Who knows.
Old May 25, 2002, 5:57 pm

Stayed in Budapest Hilton recently. Upgraded to Executive Room with river view as Gold. A box of chocolates and a bottle of wine as gifts. Free bottle of water every day. Restaurant is good but very expensive. Very nice hotel right in the middle of the tourist district with churches museums and palaces.

If you are looking for walking around the Buda side this is a nice location. Best to walk around in the early morning and late evening hours. Hardly any night life on that side of the river. If you are looking to be close to city life, you are better off in the West End as a location. I have not stayed there.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:04 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Hilton Budapest hotel versus Hilton Budapest WestEnd hotel

I am planning a 24 stay in Budapest in August. I've heard good things about the Hilton Budapest on this board but not many things about the West End. Anyone have experience with both or have a recommendation? I am HH Gold if that helps and this is an award stay.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:27 pm

Both hotels are excellent. The Hilton on the Buda side has a free shuttle from the airport and back, which could save some money for you. This hotel has more character of the two, and has stunning views of the river and parliament.

The West End Hilton is more convenient for getting around and for shopping, its adjacent to a mall, and is just about a block from the train/subway station. Both hotels have excellent service, both have great lounges, althought the nod might go to the West End because their evening spread is virtually a dinner. Both hotels treated us like royalty as Diamond VIP's. You really can't go wrong with either one.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 3:41 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
I would recommend the Hilton Budapest (though I haven't stayed at the other one) I have stayed at this one 4 times.

Its up on the hill in the Castle area overlooking the city...a bit safer area at night time and many very good restaurants with a couple block walk.

Good club lounge that's open from early morning until 10pm and even includes free liquor. This hotel also has an interesting wine cellar/cave below the property with free tastings.

Bigshaker
Old Feb 20, 2004, 5:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Budapest Hilton isn't just a hotel, it is an archeological dig! If you wander about the hotel, particularly in the darker reaches, you will see various artifacts that were uncovered during construction. The hotel is remarkable for being a modern building constructed at a historic site and harmonizing with that site ... and built by the Communist regime. Designed by a Japanese architect, which may explain its harmonic qualities. In some ways it is my favourite hotel in Europe. And the management tries very hard to please, almost everything is possible at this hotel. I have no experience with the West End (probably similar management, but the location is an order of magnitude less desirable in my book).
Old Feb 20, 2004, 6:21 pm

Actually the points required are also less. That compared with the free airport shuttle and good reviews on this board make it a good choice.

Just hope they treat their golds as good as they do their diamonds (or atleast close)
Old May 29, 2004, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
Health clubs @ Budapest Properties

while there is plenty of feedback comparing both properties, there is nothing I could find comparing health clubs....can someone comment?
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Budapest

Going to Budapest in early April. Two choices: Hilton Budapest and Budapest Westend. The latter is cheaper. Which is better?
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:33 am

It depends, both hotels are nice, but I'd give the edge to the Budapest Hilton, on the Buda side. Where you stay really depends on what you want to do in the city, and how you will be arriving. If you are arriving by air, the Budapest Hilton wins hands down because you can get a free shuttle from the airport to the front of the Hilton and vice-versa. If you are arriving by rail, the Westend Hilton is about half a block from the rail station.

The view from the BH is much better than the WEH, and I prefered the rooms at the BH. Both have good exec lounges, but the edge definitely goes to the WEH. There are more things to see/do on the Pest side and with the WEH so close to the train/subway, getting around is quite easy there. You really can't go wrong with either hotel, both are good. Here's a thread that can give you even more info to help you decide.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=budapest

Have a great trip.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:40 pm

IMHO Budapest Hilton is better because of the old part of the city the ambience is great and you can walk to the Pest side over the chainbridge. The views from there in the evenings is great!!
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:39 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Go here to save 5000 points on a 3-night HHonors stay + get bonuses thrown in:

http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors/rewards/europe.jhtml#budapest:_buda's_best_in_budapest,_hu ngary_
Old Nov 23, 2004, 8:49 pm

Trip Report

Trip report here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=18424
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:28 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Question Budapest Hiltons

Greetings all,

Is this a destination worth booking ? English spoken well enough ?
I was surfing around looking for a new destination to travel too.
Have not been to Hungary.
How are the Hiltons there ?
(good feedback on Trip Advisor especially West End)
Which has the best location for sightseeing?
Appreciate any info along with elite recognition.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.