Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Canary Wharf {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Erikderek_SWE
I have an upcoming reservation for Hilton Canary Wharf in early March, an extended weekend reservation.
We'll arrive rather late on Friday evening, around 20:30-21:00, will the lounge be open for us to grab a cup of tea before bed or does it close after the "Evening Cocktails"? I know this differs from Hilton to Hilton in London.
Good to have all the information in this thread, I was fortunate to have the same resource of information prior to our stay at Hilton Wembley in December.
I'll report back regarding the Saturday evening was rowdy or not.

EK
Hi....lounge is open until 11pm and yes you can get tea, coffee and soft drinks after the happy hour which finishes at 8pm on Fridays .
even after they clear the food and booze away they still leave out crisps, biscuits and flapjacks until close.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Skimanant
Such a shame if this happens in a lounge, I have seen it, and I am not being rude but is it more prevalent in the UK than Europe? It is a shame for other guests and staff who have to try to handle unreasonable behaviour. It always amazes me people are that desperate for a drink, when they fill bags etc, have a quick walk and some fresh air to the local Tesco!
spot on!........it is more common in the uk and agreed it's my number 1 hate!.......I'm sure that's the reason the happy hours have been cut and the baileys no longer available here.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Skimanant
Such a shame if this happens in a lounge, I have seen it, and I am not being rude but is it more prevalent in the UK than Europe? It is a shame for other guests and staff who have to try to handle unreasonable behaviour. It always amazes me people are that desperate for a drink, when they fill bags etc, have a quick walk and some fresh air to the local Tesco!
Yes it’s pretty grim behaviour imo. I’ve seen sports bags and backpacks filled to the point that the straps are straining when they are picked up. No one objects to someone taking a can of Coke or a last glass of wine back to the room at the end of happy hour etc, however some people seem to treat it as an “eat and drink all you can plus have a carry out as well” hour.

I’m sure I’ve said it before but I’m positive that there should be a proper bar set up in here at the weekends where drinks are poured and consumption monitored rather than a free for all.

That said we are in London next weekend and have the Saturday night booked at Euston but having looked this morning at rates I am tempted to switch to here as it’s only £89.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by wizla

Hi....lounge is open until 11pm and yes you can get tea, coffee and soft drinks after the happy hour which finishes at 8pm on Fridays .
even after they clear the food and booze away they still leave out crisps, biscuits and flapjacks until close.
Great thank you, always nice to have a cup of tea and a little snack to nimble on after a late arrival.

EK
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by chrism20

Yes it’s pretty grim behaviour imo. I’ve seen sports bags and backpacks filled to the point that the straps are straining when they are picked up. No one objects to someone taking a can of Coke or a last glass of wine back to the room at the end of happy hour etc, however some people seem to treat it as an “eat and drink all you can plus have a carry out as well” hour.

I’m sure I’ve said it before but I’m positive that there should be a proper bar set up in here at the weekends where drinks are poured and consumption monitored rather than a free for all.

That said we are in London next weekend and have the Saturday night booked at Euston but having looked this morning at rates I am tempted to switch to here as it’s only £89.
I agree.

Hilton Wembley have a set up like that, you order drinks (except beer and wine) from the staff, I have mixed (pun not intended) feelings about this. We are adults and should be able to act accordingly, but unfortunate "free" and in combination with the word "alcohol" sets some individuals off... Self service from a set up bar gives a more "home" feel to it, that's what I like when travelling, but still I don't like to se the lounges turn in to a Mediterranean all-inclusive pool bar establishment. We have stayed multiple time in the past at the Hilton London Bridge where I never experienced this phenomena.

Stuffing bags before leaving the lounge, now I heard it all. As you say, bring back a Coke to your room is not an issue, how ever I always ask the staff (out of manor) and have yet to be denied, more like, "take one extra with you" replies. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if some one did take a can of Coke without asking neither.

For you how frequent this hotel often, is this a staggering problem or has it always been like this?

EK
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Erikderek_SWE
I agree.

Hilton Wembley have a set up like that, you order drinks (except beer and wine) from the staff, I have mixed (pun not intended) feelings about this. We are adults and should be able to act accordingly, but unfortunate "free" and in combination with the word "alcohol" sets some individuals off... Self service from a set up bar gives a more "home" feel to it, that's what I like when travelling, but still I don't like to se the lounges turn in to a Mediterranean all-inclusive pool bar establishment. We have stayed multiple time in the past at the Hilton London Bridge where I never experienced this phenomena.

Stuffing bags before leaving the lounge, now I heard it all. As you say, bring back a Coke to your room is not an issue, how ever I always ask the staff (out of manor) and have yet to be denied, more like, "take one extra with you" replies. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if some one did take a can of Coke without asking neither.

For you how frequent this hotel often, is this a staggering problem or has it always been like this?

EK
i believe it's down to being understaffed and staff morale.
whilst it's room key entry the door has always been propped open the check in desk is opposite but during happy hour the desk is never staffed, anyone could walk in or out with booze and also they have a high turnover of staff, some agency.......there seems to be feeling of unhappiness among staff these days......I could be wrong......just a feeling

Last edited by wizla; Jan 22, 2018 at 7:45 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles
Dave Ross - there you go .....
Thank you.. very useful.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by davrossuk
Thank you.. very useful.
No worries mate, you are welcome......outside chance I may be there myself this coming Saturday....I know I vowed to not ever stay again on a weekend but I'm visiting family in the east end so it would be handy for the area, plus it's crazy cheap for Saturday too.

Last edited by wizla; Jan 31, 2018 at 2:31 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:30 pm

Talking

No worries mate, you are welcome......outside chance I may be there myself this coming Saturday....I know I vowed to not ever stay again on a weekend but I'm visiting family in the east end so it would be handy for the area, plus it's crazy cheap for Saturday too.
Secured a very cheap rate of £89 for this Sunday - already upgraded to Exec Suite and hoping for a better experience than my last meh stay ...

Last edited by maxandclaude2000; Feb 2, 2018 at 4:30 pm Reason: typos
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by maxandclaude2000
Secured a very cheap rate of £89 for this Sunday - already upgraded to Exec Suite and hoping for a better experience than my last meh stay ...
yep, I managed £93 on a PR code booked it 10-30pm last night, upgraded to executive room by 10-45pm........ dunno how that worked?....... I'm visiting family as my uncle is recovering from a heart attack so I have no idea what time I will reach hotel but will do live report regardless .
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:49 am

Arrived 4pm.
Used digital check in, works fine as room became available at 11-30am this morning ( digital key texted me to announce )...... love that!.
choose room on floor 12 via OLCI at 8 am this morning, upgraded to executive from basic guest room .
room is clean and tidy, I notice the mouthwash is back and there are two robes albeit a bit tatty......bed comfy, everything works!.
did pop into lounge to get room key for my lady at afternoon tea, half full and seemed quiet, nice vibe, didn't indulge.
went for sauna, one other person in there, tried stem room and it now seems to be hot enough but only just.
Now off to lounge, I'm really hoping it's going to be quiet but I'm not holding my breath........will report back!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:57 am

I was going to book here for tonight but she who must be obeyed was having none of it. She has a meeting in Birmingham on Monday morning (going up there tomorrow) so she insisted on being near Euston.

I’d cancelled Hilton Euston before saying to her and when I went to book it again the rates were significantly higher so we are now in Pullman St Pancras on Accor points.

Shame, would have been nice to say hello. Enjoy your evening, hope the crèche isn’t too lively.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by chrism20
I was going to book here for tonight but she who must be obeyed was having none of it. She has a meeting in Birmingham on Monday morning (going up there tomorrow) so she insisted on being near Euston.

I’d cancelled Hilton Euston before saying to her and when I went to book it again the rates were significantly higher so we are now in Pullman St Pancras on Accor points.

Shame, would have been nice to say hello. Enjoy your evening, hope the crèche isn’t too lively.
thats a shame mate, would have been great to meet you!...... it was a last minute decision to stay here myself, strangely whilst now in the lounge it's busy yet quiet, seems to be a nice vibe so far......will see .

BEERS - Ashi and Heineken

SPIRITS - j.d , gin , brandy and vodka....also baileys is back!

CANAPES - chicken wings and egg quiche, cheeseboard ( bread but no crackers ), some great salads and crudités.

WINE - red, white and cava.

in the time it's taken to write this the lounge has become full and a little noisy but nothing offensive.....will report back!
chrism20 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:58 am

thats a shame mate, would have been great to meet you!...... it was a last minute decision to stay here myself, strangely whilst now in the lounge it's busy yet quiet, seems to be a nice vibe so far......will see .

BEERS - Ashi and Heineken

SPIRITS - j.d , gin , brandy and vodka....also baileys is back!

CANAPES - chicken wings and egg quiche, cheeseboard ( bread but no crackers ), some great salads and crudités.

WINE - red, white and cava.

in the time it's taken to write this the lounge has become full and a little noisy but nothing offensive.....will report back!
jeez, it's all just kicked off in here , bunch of guys opposite started arguing, staff told them to be quiet, they carried on ..... staff then ejected them from the lounge instantly!...... hats off to the new lounge manger, very proactive indeed!
chrism20 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh Allah, thats quite bad! I really very rarely see such behaviour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.