Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Canary Wharf {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
I stayed here last week, weekdays when it was super busy with American business people, didn't have time to report yet.

Weekends are always luck of the draw, but I have a feeling things are about to change for the better as there is a new lounge manager. A wonderful young lady called Anna with whom I had many long conversations about the running of the lounge, what had gone wrong in the past and what needed to change and she agreed with me on every single point. Very hard working girl I think and if she gets the support from management a lot of good ideas.

There are bound to be many changes all round as there is a new GM, female, new Director of operations, female and now new lounge manager also female !! Especially the director of operations is fierce, I saw her a couple of times when I was having breakfast in the lounge and she spots things immediately, no messing around with her I can tell you!
Thats interesting and also good, it needs something......... I think you are right it is luck of the draw at weekends but every time I've stayed during the week the lounge has always been very quiet but again I guess if the hotel is busy with business folk this will affect the lounge too.......I'm next there Monday 4th June ( weather permitting) .
Old May 28, 2018, 1:45 pm

Bank holidays

Well if today is anything to go by I can thoroughly recommend staying on the evening of a bank holiday.

Arrived around midday and checked in immediately.

Lounge for afternoon noon tea was extremely quiet. Sandwiches were egg & tomato, smoked salmon and ham. Two types of scones along with a very nice chocolate cupcake. No more than fifteen people on the lounge at any time.

Evening also very quiet, no more than twenty five people at anytime. Two types of warm pasta, one very spicy but very tasty, cold meats, cheeses, salad etc.

All the usual spirits as mentioned previously along with eight types of gin and all the garnishes to accompany them.

Also spoke with the lounge manager and very impressed tbh. She seemed aware of the issues raised previously and commented that the focus was shifting to improve the quality of the experience with the new GM. All fairly positive stuff, I’m tempted to return for the August BH to see how things have panned out.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:03 am

That's good to hear!, especially the gin selection as it's my lady's favourite, I wonder if it will be ongoing?......... it's nice to o be hearing some positive reports again......I'm here next Monday night as I have my yearly Thames walk to do that day ( weather permitting ) I have a king guest room booked but I've asked to forfeit any upgrade in return for a very early check in as I should arrive around 8am to start walk at 10-30 and a sauna and shower before I start.
I won't be there for afternoon tea but will report back on the rest.
chrism20 likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by wizla
That's good to hear!, especially the gin selection as it's my lady's favourite, I wonder if it will be ongoing?......... it's nice to o be hearing some positive reports again......I'm here next Monday night as I have my yearly Thames walk to do that day ( weather permitting ) I have a king guest room booked but I've asked to forfeit any upgrade in return for a very early check in as I should arrive around 8am to start walk at 10-30 and a sauna and shower before I start.
I won't be there for afternoon tea but will report back on the rest.
Yes my other half was fair taken with the gin selection. They had them displayed on their own where the fruit juices are in the morning just to the side of the coffee machine so the opposite side from the regular spirits.

We both had steak and chips in the bar late on and this was very good, only negative was the temperature in the bar. It was very warm and almost felt damp. It was like sitting in a steam room that’s seriously lacking power/steam if that makes any sense.

Breakfast was very good this morning and half empty so nice and peaceful.

Absolutely no complaints. Fingers crossed for you next week.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by chrism20

Yes my other half was fair taken with the gin selection. They had them displayed on their own where the fruit juices are in the morning just to the side of the coffee machine so the opposite side from the regular spirits.

We both had steak and chips in the bar late on and this was very good, only negative was the temperature in the bar. It was very warm and almost felt damp. It was like sitting in a steam room that’s seriously lacking power/steam if that makes any sense.

Breakfast was very good this morning and half empty so nice and peaceful.

Absolutely no complaints. Fingers crossed for you next week.
i know exactly what you mean regarding the humid heat, I've noticed that a few times albeit not here...... if I eat in Hilton restaurants I often choose the steak too, with Bernese sauce......always hurts the spot.
im truly glad it went so well and I'm quietly confident for my stay next Monday will be fine, if I manage to bag an early check in that would be so helpful, they managed it last year and the year before so fingers crossed.

Last edited by wizla; May 29, 2018 at 9:07 am Reason: typo
Old May 29, 2018, 9:46 pm

had a week's stay with mixed experience. Room nice and spacious on executive floor, but no power outlets by the bed which is just incomprehensible. Staff while multicultural and eager to help, not always competent. You call them and they just don't get it, as if they were outsourced to the depths of Siberia. "Can I request turn-down service?", "You want to request what service?"... Well, she put me on hold and came back asking " if we would like that now", phew. The following evening another person: "Sir, I cannot understand what you are saying. i am going to send someone to your room". Well, no turndown for you then.... Breakfast in the restaurant - coffee is horrible, and an omelet a sulking cook made was inedible. In the lounge - service was superior, and coffee is Nespresso with 4 types of capsules available. Evening snakcs vary and may be very good depending on a day, there's a good selection of beer, and three varieties of "house" wine - Italian white, red and sparkling. This hotel can do better, but kudos to great housekeeping and executive club staff.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
had a week's stay with mixed experience. Room nice and spacious on executive floor, but no power outlets by the bed which is just incomprehensible. Staff while multicultural and eager to help, not always competent. You call them and they just don't get it, as if they were outsourced to the depths of Siberia. "Can I request turn-down service?", "You want to request what service?"... Well, she put me on hold and came back asking " if we would like that now", phew. The following evening another person: "Sir, I cannot understand what you are saying. i am going to send someone to your room". Well, no turndown for you then.... Breakfast in the restaurant - coffee is horrible, and an omelet a sulking cook made was inedible. In the lounge - service was superior, and coffee is Nespresso with 4 types of capsules available. Evening snakcs vary and may be very good depending on a day, there's a good selection of beer, and three varieties of "house" wine - Italian white, red and sparkling. This hotel can do better, but kudos to great housekeeping and executive club staff.
yep........ the coffee downstairs is inferior to the lounge nespresso machine......I've always taken breakfast downstairs and had my food with a glass of juice then finished in the lounge with a cappuccino from the machine, that said the nespresso machine whilst serving great coffee is hard to operate and can lead to queues of folk waiting as folk get confused.
Breakfast chef ( the woman with black hair yeah? ) has always been surly and appears unapproachable, however she has always made me great omelettes, maybe an off day as guess.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:33 am

We have a Nespresso machine similar to that in our office at work. Once you get the hang of it it’s fairly easy to use. The biggest issue is that you can only pour milky drinks from one side of the machine rather than both. If you want a latte and an Americano you can pour both at the same time but two latte takes twice the time. Also the coffee isn’t that strong, I noticed that I wasn’t the only one pouring a latte then throwing another espresso into it in order to give the drink a kick.

The quality of the coffee though is excellent.

The egg chef yesterday morning was a man although I think I know the one you guys are referring to.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by chrism20
We have a Nespresso machine similar to that in our office at work. Once you get the hang of it it’s fairly easy to use. The biggest issue is that you can only pour milky drinks from one side of the machine rather than both. If you want a latte and an Americano you can pour both at the same time but two latte takes twice the time. Also the coffee isn’t that strong, I noticed that I wasn’t the only one pouring a latte then throwing another espresso into it in order to give the drink a kick.

The quality of the coffee though is excellent.

The egg chef yesterday morning was a man although I think I know the one you guys are referring to.
Haha, yep I do exactly the same, upon waking , quick wash then up to the lounge for a cappachino with an extra expresso shot in a take away cup, newspaper and coffee in bed......I love that.
You are spot on........the nespresso machine does only milky drinks from one side but most people don't realise this and stand there confused......I've seen queues of 6 or 7 folk waiting for coffee......I actually think the old coffee machine was a better idea as it was more user friendly........the coffee was fairly good too.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
I'm staying here shortly..what's the sauna etiquette at this hotel, shorts or au naturel?
(you never know in the UK ;-)
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Wunk
I'm staying here shortly..what's the sauna etiquette at this hotel, shorts or au naturel?
(you never know in the UK ;-)
shorts or towel wrap ( there is a sign on the door ) , however I've seen folk in there naked before............. it's quite a small sauna but nearly always empty, head for the gym on floor 2 and is through the door at the back , grab a towel from the gym on way through.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I felt the lounge food had decreased a bit in terms of quality. Lounge not too busy in the evenings and Bombay made an appearance too! The staff were very nice and the upgrade was great. The card featuring the housekeepers name & face is a nice personal touch.

They really need to clean the nozzles on that Nespresso machine, it was really caked up. Clearly its not a very good self-cleaning design.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
I felt the lounge food had decreased a bit in terms of quality. Lounge not too busy in the evenings and Bombay made an appearance too! The staff were very nice and the upgrade was great. The card featuring the housekeepers name & face is a nice personal touch.

They really need to clean the nozzles on that Nespresso machine, it was really caked up. Clearly its not a very good self-cleaning design.
i was supposed to be there Monday night just gone, didn't happen in the end as fog and bad weather made the trip pointless, I'm hopefully weather permitting back again Monday 25th June ..........will see.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:17 pm

Back here again this coming Monday night, re scheduled stay from 3 weeks back, hopefully the weather will be good this time, will do live report!
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
The weather will be great, looking forward to your report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.