Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oregon, USA {US-OR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Oregon, USA {US-OR}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2003, 4:50 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Another PDXer's input:

A cab from downtown (where I live) runs around $27 + tip. But as VibeGuy noted, the trains start up early enough on Sunday morning to make it a viable option. Catch it at Pioneer Square south, which is just one block from the Hilton. Fare between downtown and PDX is $1.55 for an all-zone ticket (which is what you'll need), and the trip takes ~38 minutes.

(BTW, the streetcar travels between Portland State University and Northwest, not to the airport.)

The Portland Airporter (Grayline) is no longer business in this market.

Saturday Market, roughly the area under and just south of the Burnside Bridge, is open on Saturdays and Sunday. Personally, I think it's kind of junky, but to each his own.

The Portland Farmer's Market is open from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in the South Park Blocks on the Portland State University campus -- about 8 or 9 blocks from the Hilton -- and has lots and lots of comestibles, Oregon wines, etc., in addition to the usual fresh produce, seafood, organic meats, etc. About 1/2 of the stalls offer samples of some sort so you can really do some serious nibbling.

The Towers property is a little more than a year old. The original Hilton property across the street is indeed mediocre, but adequate. Embassay Suites is a terrific property. More than a few Flyertalkers have reported excellent upgrade experiences.

As opushomes noted, avoid the downtown Doubletree at all costs. It's a horrible property. It's sole benefit is complimentary shuttle service to/from PDX. However, the Doubletree at Lloyd Center (one block from a MAX stop) is a nice, well-maintained property. MAX is free to downtown, about a 10 minute ride across the river. (You can grab either the Red or Blue line.)

Also, all of opushomes' suggestions of activities are spot on. Powell's City of Books (new and used) is simply just amazing, even to this native. I pop in there once or twice a month. The streetcar stops practically on their doorstep.

Powell's also roughly marks the gateway to the exploding Pearl District. Visit the Pearl Bakery for some scrumptious pasteries, and then stroll around the area's shops. Seems like something new opens every couple of days.

A little further away via streetcar is Bridgeport Brewing Co.'s brewpub. Very, very typical Portland microbrew/pub experience. If it's a nice day (yes, it could well be quite nice on Nov. 1 ... or not), they'll put out tables and chairs on the ivy laced loading dock. Otherwise, you can grab yourself a slice of pizza and/or a pint and settle into a nice cozy table in the quiet room, or by the dart boards.

I have a whole pile of Powell's walking maps of downtown that shows where all the major hotels, stores and shops are, where the MAX and streetcar lines run, and other good info. Shoot me your address and I'll ship you one.

You'll have a great time. Portland is a very pretty city. Not splashy, but lush and very, very easy to navigate and explore.

One more thing: All the public transportation in the downtown core is free. I can mark up the boundaries on map if you like.

Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by opushomes:
Do not stay at the Doubletree on SW Lincoln. It is an old, old Red Lion and looks like it from the exterior. Cannot comment on the interior.
</font>
While it is a Red Lion-legacy property, it's actually Not Bad on the inside; the rooms are markedly better than anything the main Hilton building has to offer (newly renewed, decent size, vanity outside the rest of the bath, better soundproofing), the service has been excellent, and the chocolate chip cookies warm and plentiful. For people without a car, it's a Bad Location, but otherwise, a perfectly fine property that I stay at quite frequently (6x in the last four months). So, for people using this thread for future reference, it's not to be Avoided, so much as "Be Aware That It's Not As Central As The Hilton".

Eric
Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:58 pm

Programs: Status? What's that? :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by littleleaguemom:
Visit the Chinese Gardens. If you like to shop, Oregon has no sales tax and there is a large mall a few blocks from the Hilton. </font>
The tax-free shopping was actually one of the orignal reasons for coming out to Portland .
Old Oct 9, 2003, 10:16 pm

First, my thanks to all for the suggestions and feedback, especially the ones from the native PDX'ers such as opushomes and essxjay. Your summary of the sights and attractions is greatly appreciated and just what I was looking for, and the comments from various FT'ers on the different HHonors properties helpful. Oh, essxjay, you've got mail!

I've looked through the listings of each HHonors properties and based on my readings, have summarized the following, which I hope some of you may find useful. Please feel free to make any comments or corrections:

Doubletree Downtown @ SW Lincoln: essxjay wrote, "As opushomes noted, avoid the downtown Doubletree at all costs. It's a horrible property. It's sole beneft is complimentary shuttle service to/from PDX." I checked Hilton's website on this property and unless their info on their site is wrong or outdated, it says the courtesy bus [between the hotel and PDX] is "not available." Lowest rate on a room seems to be $99.95 under their "Net Direct Rates" code.

Doubletree Portland-Lloyd Center: "Net Direct Rates" is $84.60. My question is, is this hotel convenient [by TriMet] to some of the attractions and sights listed? Speaking of the TriMet, if I decide to take the train back to the airport on early Sunday morning, looking at the schedule am I right to assume that for my 6:45 am departure, I have to catch the train at the Lloyd Center/NE 11th Avenue station at 4:26 am which will arrive at PDX at 4:54 AM?

ES Downtown @ SW Pine: Lowest rate $129. Since I won't be able to take advantage of ES's acclaimed breakfast that I've been hearing and reading about, is this hotel worth the extra $ overall? (I'm sure one of my nephews or nieces will be more than happy to have the free Scooby-Doo plush toy/backpack under the SESFSR plan rate promo, unless I decide I want it for myself!)

HGI @ PDX: $81 lowest rate, under the "Bounceback Weekend" rate. Has complimentary airport shuttle, but I assume that there is no easy way to get to downtown short of renting a car or taking the shuttle back to the aiport and then take the TriMet?

Hampton @ PDX: $89 lowest rate; complimentary shuttle to airport.

Hilton downtown: Lowest (Net Direct) rate is $84 or $97 in the Executive Tower. Being a Gold, what are the chances of being upgraded on the $84 rate, or should I just go ahead and pay the $13 extra and don't expect too much?

Afterall, KathyWdrf wrote, "After all my (semi-)bashing of the Hilton, I must say if I were just staying there one night, and didn't have especially high expectations, and there were cheap rates available (as there are), it would certainly be an acceptable (and convenient) place to stay and collect some HHonors points. Also, if the Towers room is important to you, it might be worth just paying the few extra dollars for it, rather than leaving it to chance."

Would I be disappointed if I pick the Hilton? Or should I just go ahead and splurge for the Embassy Suites even knowing that I won't be able to make full use of some of he amenities and benefits due to my schedule?

Thanks,
David

[This message has been edited by tayd (edited 10-09-2003).]
Old Oct 9, 2003, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Would I be disappointed if I pick the Hilton? Or should I just go ahead and splurge for the Embassy Suites even knowing that I won't be able to make full use of some of he amenities and benefits due to my schedule?</font>
That depends on how important the room is to you. How much time will you really be spending in it?

I've seen a room at the ES and it was nice, but I have not seen those at the Hilton Towers. There's a fairly wide spread between the rates for the two ($32 + tax). If you're feeling flush, book the ES. If you're pinching pennies a bit, book the Towers room. And if you're pinching pennies even more....

Kathy
Old Oct 10, 2003, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tayd:
Doubletree Portland-Lloyd Center: "Net Direct Rates" is $84.60. My question is, is this hotel convenient [by TriMet] to some of the attractions and sights listed?

&lt;snip&gt;

HGI @ PDX: $81 lowest rate, under the "Bounceback Weekend" rate. Has complimentary airport shuttle, but I assume that there is no easy way to get to downtown short of renting a car or taking the shuttle back to the aiport and then take the TriMet?

Hampton @ PDX: $89 lowest rate; complimentary shuttle to airport.
</font>
The max station is across the street from the Doubletree Lloyd Center; it is part of fareless square and can be used to connect to other Trimet options.

Taking the PDX HGI shuttle to the airport in order to grab Max is very easy and straightforward. Ask the driver to drop you off at the farthest end of the terminal, near the Horizon area.

Another possible very low cost option is the Hampton Inn in Gresham. Although it is not an airport property per se and does not advertise a 24 hour airport shuttle, they do indeed offer shuttle service by prearrangement. As a Portland area resident, I have been using them for Park and Fly over the last few months and have been very satisfied with the rooms, the staff and the service. In fact, my car is resting comfortably there right now.

The best part is that their cheapest rates are $58.50 AAA but the downside is that one typically needs to notify the hotel about the date/time of the required shuttle service at least one day ahead. The shuttle service is provided by http://www.greshamareahotels.com/.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Update: MAX fares rose to $1.60 each way.

Tri-Met bus #8 stops across the street from Doubletree Lloyd Center, and it's free.

Re: the downtown Double Tree, FTer Spiff stayed there in June and said the carpet was flithy and the ceiling was stained with watermarks. I hope they renovated since then.

Have a great time in our lovely city.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 8:22 am

Update:

After reading through all the threads and feedback, I went ahead and booked the Embassy Suites. My fiancée and I have not stayed at an ES property before, so hopefully this will be a good experience, especially all the good reviews that I've read.

Anybody have recommendations on good places for dinner? Any particular cuisine is fine; what is Portland's specialty? Seafood? Even better if it's iDine affiliated! :-)

Thanks,
David

[This message has been edited by tayd (edited 10-23-2003).]
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:17 am

Location: San Francisco, CA - UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Mariott Silver
Don't forget to checkout Northwest Portland. Pubs, Coffee Shops, window shopping, one of the best kite shops anywhere and much more. Plus you can stop in for a Big Jack Sandwich at the Blue Moon Pub on the corner of 21st and Glisan (A McMenamins Property). Take the #15 Bus up to 23rd St from Downtown. You can pay to go all the way up, or get off a 14th Street if it is nice and walk up a few block. Antoher fun neighborhood to check out is the Hawthorne District in SE Portland. Also a short bus ride away. As far as meals, if you want seafood (a little pricey), then check out Jake's, it is one of Portlands most famous seafood restaurants. It is near 10th and Stark if I remember right. Anyone will know. But for more fun, go to dinner in NW and check out Wildwood. Unbelievably good. If you want Italian, try the Tuscanny Grill. Those are either on 21st or 23rd around "O" or "T" - The streets north of Burnside (NW) are alphabetical. The #15 will take you there. Downtown you can walk down to the waterfront and eat good seafood at the McCormick & Schmidt restuarant on the riverwalk. Better yet, go before 6:00 or after 9:00 at the attached Pilnser Room and eat small servings from the menu for less than $3.00 a plate while drinking great microbrew beer and watching the river.

Good luck. It's my hometown and I truly must say, there is no place like home. And that says alot since I live in San Fran now.

Regards,
MalNSF
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:03 am

My two faves, as a pseudo-local (born and raised just down the road, went to college nearby) are Esparza's Tex-Mex Grill, which is off Hawthorne, or, closer to downtown, Southpark.

Southpark is ostensibly Mediterranean seafood, but the emphasis is on NW ingredients, so it's kind of a clever fusion. They have a great, affordable wine list, with several "flight" options (a 2 oz pour of three wines that share a style or a varietal), lots of wines by the glass, and a number of interesting half-bottle selections. It's just west of the South Park Blocks (hence the name) - 901 SW Salmon.

Incidentally, I've not eaten there, but I've heard consistently good things about the restaurant in the ES itself, Portland Steak and Chop House or something to that effect.

Eric
Old Oct 23, 2003, 1:58 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA - UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Mariott Silver
Shame on me. How could I have forgotten Esparza's Tex Mex and the ever famous Dale Evans Tacos! I ate there last month when I was in PDX. There is a cool new wine bar across the street as well. Esparza's is at 28th or 27th and Ankeny in SE. I second the vote for Southpark, but I liked it better when it was the Heathman Pub.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I'm sorry to rehash this yet again. But I have a question that wasn't explicitly answered in the above posts, and I'm kind of slow. I will be coming to PDX on 12/6 for for a one night stay on a mileage run. As a Hilton Gold VIP, would I be better off paying $84 to stay at the Hilton (non towers room) or $80 to stay at the Doubletree Lloyd Center? I arrive early enough in the day on the 6th that I will want to do as much sightseeing as can be done in a day. My flight back is at 8:30 AM on the 7th, so I should have plenty of time to get to the airport in the morning. Getting up early won't be hard since I'll still be on Eastern Time. Thanks for any advice!
Old Oct 25, 2003, 9:08 am

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SRQ Guy:
I'm sorry to rehash this yet again. But I have a question that wasn't explicitly answered in the above posts, and I'm kind of slow. I will be coming to PDX on 12/6 for for a one night stay on a mileage run. As a Hilton Gold VIP, would I be better off paying $84 to stay at the Hilton (non towers room) or $80 to stay at the Doubletree Lloyd Center? I arrive early enough in the day on the 6th that I will want to do as much sightseeing as can be done in a day. My flight back is at 8:30 AM on the 7th, so I should have plenty of time to get to the airport in the morning. Getting up early won't be hard since I'll still be on Eastern Time. Thanks for any advice!</font>
I have been treated very well at both locations as a Gold. Upgrades from each. The cost to ride the MAX from the airport is the same $3.20 round trip. From the Doubletree riding is free through out the downtown area. If you want to wander around and explore I would suggest the Hilton. If you want to shop a big mall then the DoubleTree. Allow an extra 15 minutes to get to the airport from the Hilton. We will be staying at the Hilton on our next jaunt to Portland.

------------------
"A day without Points/Miles is like a day without SUNSHINE"
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do the HGI airport if you are w/o a car. Their shuttle will take you to whatever restaurant you desire in a 5-10 mile radius. And they wil happily pick you up too. There is a nice steak place 3 miles away.

MisterNice
Old Oct 31, 2003, 7:12 am

Update:

Thanks to a last minute schedule change on United's part, looks like we'll get a chance to try out the ES's breakfast--and not have to wake up at 3:30 am!

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. Portland, here we come!

Regards,
David

[This message has been edited by tayd (edited 10-31-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.