Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by jgsx

How do I block someone so I never have to read one of their posts again? This user should not have a voice anymore.
click his user name. on the menu that pops up, click "add XXXX to your ignore list". presto, you'll never see his posts again (unless they're quoted by someone else). My ignore lists grows weekly. It's like preemptive blocking on a dating app.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by DnvTrvlr
$30/day coupons nearly covers one adult buffet.
Hilton has us so well trained.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Softwizard
IMHO, all of this whining about free breakfast has been resolved. First, Cafe Kula was overwhelmed with vouchers each morning. I was there in March and waited for almost an hour most mornings because Cafe Kula was not meant to serve the multitude of people redeeming $15 vouchers. So I don't miss being able to redeem them there. If I want a <$15 quick breakfast, I am happy to pay and earn HHonors points.
I was here in May and never had to wait at Cafe Kula for more than 10-15 minutes.

But if you did have to wait for an hour then it once again confirms why breakfast was never a benefit at W-A properties - it is logistically hard to provide it as these properties seem to be popular with Hilton Honors elites.

Second, Room Service and the Grand Buffet are MUCH better food options, plus they can handle the load. Having a $30 discount each day off this seems to me to be a perfectly good compromise from Hilton and GW. When Hilton implemented the free breakfast benefit, I don't think they took into account places like the Grand Buffet, which is easily the best breakfast I have had at any WA or Conrad (both Hilton luxury properties).
I know it is a matter of personal taste but I am straggling to see what you see that makes breakfast at the Grand Dining Room the 'best.' The choice is very meh. Breakfast at W-A in Rome is much better as the variety is greater. I've also had better breakfasts at other Hiltons and Canopies. However, what I really dislike about the Grand Dining room option is that whether it's a buffet or a la carte it is a big breakfast (well, you can pay for a buffet but only have a piece of bread and a piece of smoked salmon of course, but who would do that?). At least, Kafe Kula gave an option to get something hot and not necessarily huge (which is now removed, unless they allow for 2 adults to share 1 main course of the menu at the Grand Dining room).

For anyone to call this a "mediocre" resort is ludicrous.
I agree with you, A lot of criticism seems to stem from the fact that people can't come here on points, have everything for free and checkout with zero portfolios. This is a very nice property.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Would love to see other options with the coupons
I was thinking the same thing. Using the coupons for breakfast is the least attractive option for us, but since we eat lunch by the pool often I'd much rather use them for lunch. GW could do what the HHV did and offer a US$15 credit per person (although I see how that would create problems at Cafe Kula).

Last edited by Andriyko; Aug 7, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I was thinking the same thing. Using the coupons for breakfast is the least attractive option for us, but since we eat lunch by the pool often I'd much rather use them for lunch. GW could do what the HHV did and offer a US$15 credit per person (although I see how that would create problems at Kafe Kula).
Why would that create problems at Cafe Kula? If you had $15 for each day accumulated in your account, not tied to a coupon or a venue or a time of day, you could charge as you go for any meal anywhere and just have that amount deducted from your portfolio. HHV does it and there are no hour-long line-ups anywhere.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Why would that create problems at Cafe Kula?
Because apparently the ability to redeem the certificates resulted in long queues there. If Cafe Kula is the most popular choice then it would receive the most traffic. It would not matter whether you actually need to present the certificate or just get credit at checkout.

There are hour long waits at Starbucks at the HHV in the morning.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:31 am

Because apparently the ability to redeem the certificates resulted in long queues there. If Kafe Kula is the most popular choice then it would receive the most traffic. It would not matter whether you actually need to present the certificate or just get credit at checkout.

There are hour long waits at Starbucks at the HHV in the morning.
Not when we go - very early. Maybe a few people in line. My point is if you're going to get breakfast you're going to go when you planned, credit or not. Same with any meal. Does anyone go to a resort and seriously eat ALL their meals off premises? Having that one dollar amount deducted no matter what you did (breakfast, dinner, drinks, lunch at the pool) would make so much sense.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
My point is if you're going to get breakfast you're going to go when you planned, credit or not.
You seem to have missed the point I was making. Apparently the fact that it became possible to use the certificates at Cafe Kula created demand that did not exist before, so some (many?) people would go there (eat elsewhere at the property) only if they could use some credit.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:03 am

You seem to have missed the point I was making. Apparently the fact that it became possible to use the certificates at Cafe Kula created demand that did not exist before, so some (many?) people would go there (eat elsewhere at the property) only if they could use some credit.
Yes, maybe during the coupon for breakfast days they would flock to Cafe Kula to get their money's worth (which you certainly don't get at the buffet), but if you don't tie it to a venue or time, just a general credit taken off at the end of your stay (like at the HHV), you're going to level the playing field and people will go where they want, when they want.

People complained at the HHV when they stopped the elite breakfast in the Rainbow Tower. While that was fine, I much prefer doing what I want in the morning, rather than what the hotel dictates.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:25 pm

[QUOTE=Andriyko;30056630]I was here in May and never had to wait at Cafe Kula for more than 10-15 minutes. But if you did have to wait for an hour then it once again confirms why breakfast was never a benefit at W-A properties - it is logistically hard to provide it as these properties seem to be popular with Hilton Honors elites.

It was under an hour always - on some mornings, it was maybe 15 minutes. Never-the-less, it was more than a "typical" wait for me for a simple breakfast. My stay was during Texas-school's spring break, so the resort was 99.5% occupied by us Cow-Folk

I know it is a matter of personal taste but I am straggling to see what you see that makes breakfast at the Grand Dining Room the 'best.' The choice is very meh. Breakfast at W-A in Rome is much better as the variety is greater. I've also had better breakfasts at other Hiltons and Canopies. However, what I really dislike about the Grand Dining room option is that whether it's a buffet or a la carte it is a big breakfast (well, you can pay for a buffet but only have a piece of bread and a piece of smoked salmon of course, but who would do that?).

I too have visited the WA@Cavalieri a couple of times and can see why you compare their buffet. It IS on par with the GW, but I don't recall the variety of tropical island treats, nor the smoothie bar. As the French would say, "Chaucon son gout."

I see what you are saying about a more simple breakfast and can only say that at a resort with three different breakfast options, for Hilton/GW to remove one of them due to capacity, it seems the best possible solution. GW has to choose how to deal with the dictates that Hilton imposes. The benefit is for FREE BREAKFAST, so for all of the Posters who are asking for free $30 each day for anything, this is - again I'll use the word - ludicrous, IMO.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:26 pm

[QUOTE=Andriyko;30056630]I was here in May and never had to wait at Cafe Kula for more than 10-15 minutes. But if you did have to wait for an hour then it once again confirms why breakfast was never a benefit at W-A properties - it is logistically hard to provide it as these properties seem to be popular with Hilton Honors elites.

It was under an hour always - on some mornings, it was maybe 15 minutes. Never-the-less, it was more than a "typical" wait for me for a simple breakfast. My stay was during Texas-school's spring break, so the resort was 99.5% occupied by us Cow-Folk

I know it is a matter of personal taste but I am straggling to see what you see that makes breakfast at the Grand Dining Room the 'best.' The choice is very meh. Breakfast at W-A in Rome is much better as the variety is greater. I've also had better breakfasts at other Hiltons and Canopies. However, what I really dislike about the Grand Dining room option is that whether it's a buffet or a la carte it is a big breakfast (well, you can pay for a buffet but only have a piece of bread and a piece of smoked salmon of course, but who would do that?).

I too have visited the WA@Cavalieri a couple of times and can see why you compare their buffet. It IS on par with the GW, but I don't recall the variety of tropical island treats, nor the smoothie bar. As the French would say, "Chaucon son gout."

I see what you are saying about a more simple breakfast and can only say that at a resort with three different breakfast options, for Hilton/GW to remove one of them due to capacity, it seems the best possible solution. GW has to choose how to deal with the dictates that Hilton imposes. The benefit is for FREE BREAKFAST, so for all of the Posters who are asking for free $30 each day for anything, this is - again I'll use the word - ludicrous, IMO.

Last edited by Softwizard; Aug 7, 2018 at 1:34 pm Reason: duplicate post... I'll blame it on Gogo-wireless ;)
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:39 pm

How far out in advance is recommended to make reservations?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by kenbo
How far out in advance is recommended to make reservations?
Guess that would depend on when you are going. GW has something like 787 rooms, and it does sell out. Lots of conventions there. Probably summer and holiday times are most likely, but we typically go Spring and Fall, and have experienced full houses. Conversely, the quietest time we have ever seen was the week after Labor Day.

We usually book 6-8 months out.

Last edited by BlueZebra; Aug 18, 2018 at 7:18 am
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Guess that would depend on when you are going. GW has something like 787 rooms, and it does sell out. Lots of conventions there. Probably summer and holiday times are most likely, but we typically go Spring and Fall, and have experienced full houses. Conversely, the quietest time we have ever seen was the week after Labor Day.

We usually book 6-8 months out.
Thanks for the insight. I've only been to this property once, back in 2017, and I booked it only a few weeks before the trip. I had to book a Garden View for one night and a Deluxe Ocean for the other two nights since that what was available. As a Gold member, I didn't get an upgrade on the Garden View room.

The next trip I'll be a Diamond. It seems like many Diamond members are booking Terrace View rooms and getting upgraded. From what I can gather, Terrace View rooms could either be of the parking lot or shrubs/Mt. Haleakala. Is that accurate? Would they give a Diamond member the parking lot view?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by kenbo
Thanks for the insight. I've only been to this property once, back in 2017, and I booked it only a few weeks before the trip. I had to book a Garden View for one night and a Deluxe Ocean for the other two nights since that what was available. As a Gold member, I didn't get an upgrade on the Garden View room.

The next trip I'll be a Diamond. It seems like many Diamond members are booking Terrace View rooms and getting upgraded. From what I can gather, Terrace View rooms could either be of the parking lot or shrubs/Mt. Haleakala. Is that accurate? Would they give a Diamond member the parking lot view?
I would say some Diamonds get upgrades. I have been a Diamond for 8 of the last 9 years, staying there 9 or 10 times in that time frame, and have a stay booked in October for a week. I would say we have gotten upgraded probably a third of the time. We do book in the Napua Tower, so upgrades there might be a little harder. But there are a fair number of reports of Diamond upgrades. I doubt GW would leave you in the Terrace rooms, but no one can promise you anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.