Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond

Here is the menu.... I have confirmed via their twitter team it is grand dining room only now. Must have changed after 1st of year. I am trying to clarify if there is a hot and cold option on buffet. I read a review and someone mentioned the cold option. I just stayed at the Waldorf in Orlando and they offer the cold buffet for free (2 people) with a $15 upcharge for hot. Would be nice if they could do this here.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:57 am

Last edited by sargenet; Jan 23, 2019 at 10:57 am Reason: Adding second page.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
And I just stayed at the W-A Las Vegas and it was a $25 pp (so $50 for us) every day that could be used anywhere, anytime, for any meal.

Not a breakfast benefit if it does not even cover the lowest possible priced breakfast at the outlet they force you to use.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:19 am

I guess this is why hotels can do what they want. Found this in Hilton’s website:

What are the new Waldorf Astoria™ MyWay Benefits?
Effective January 1st, 2018, all Gold and Diamond Members now have the ability to receive complimentary Continental breakfast (or a food & beverage credit) at all Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts as a part of their MyWay Benefits.

It basically says they can give continental breakfast OR a food and beverage credit. Doesn’t say where or how much or that is has to be equivalent. Probably why they keep changing it at hotel. They are providing the MyWay benefit as written...
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
I have to admit, reading the posts about 2 people receiving upgrades to the Napua rooms makes me a bit jealous.

I also had a reward stay, terrace room. Doing online check in, I was pre-assigned to a deluxe ocean view, which made me incredibly thrilled (8th floor). When I got to the hotel, I went to the check in desk, and they changed my room to an ocean view room, chapel wing, floor 2. I asked why they couldn't honor the online check in room, and she said because they were sold out. I said, but I did online check-in, and was assigned the room by the hotel just 24 hours prior. Her reply was that there was plumbing problems in the room I was assigned to previously. I said, then why can't you move me to another deluxe ocean view, since that was what was granted on my online check-in. Her reply was that online check-in was not a guarantee to a room, they can change it if they want. Which was an annoying response.

All in all, I was grateful for my upgrade, but annoyed that I also did get a downgrade at the same time. Ironically, from the hallway of my room, I could tell that there were people staying in my online check-in room, so I question whether or not the room actually had plumbing issues.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Terrace View with one king bed can sleep four?

I was looking at an award stay for some future dates. When I plugged in two adults and two children, it would only allow me to book Terrace View - One King Bed.

How can four people sleep in a room with one king bed? The description of the room type does not indicate that the room has a sofa sleeper.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Chase UR, HHonors, SPG/Marriott, Total Rewards
Having read the past few months of comments, it's clear the upgrades & the breakfast credit are very inconsistent. Did you happen to email/call beforehand to request an upgrade or only did the online check in?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
I only did online check in, and then went to the check in desk upon arrival.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:12 am

king Bed room has sleeper sofa

Originally Posted by loomis
I was looking at an award stay for some future dates. When I plugged in two adults and two children, it would only allow me to book Terrace View - One King Bed.

How can four people sleep in a room with one king bed? The description of the room type does not indicate that the room has a sofa sleeper.
Yes the king rooms have sleeper sofa. We have 3 in our party...and my son takes the sofa sleeper. I think it would be ok for 2 small kids. I don’t remember if it is full size or queen size when it rolls out.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingsna
Having read the past few months of comments, it's clear the upgrades & the breakfast credit are very inconsistent. Did you happen to email/call beforehand to request an upgrade or only did the online check in?
Upgrades are inconsistent -- gold/diamond breakfast benefit IS consistent for everyone who checks in at the same time. The "problem" is that this "consistent" benefit changes all the time, like every month or two. Right now, you get $15 per person for the Grand Wailea dining room, which serves only breakfast (and brunch on Sundays). It's deducted from your bill at the table, so it's "use it or lose it" everyday. Next month, of course, they may change this benefit again!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by TerryK
Unbelievable. It is Diamond breakfast benefit of the month. I wonder what it will be for February.
What do you mean "Diamond breakfast benefit of the month?" Is Hilton highlighting a Diamond benefit every month?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
No one is asking them to give away 2 free buffets every day.
Outside of the U.S. and Canada, Diamonds routinely get complimentary full restaurant breakfast buffet or lounge breakfast, while Golds routinely get complimentary full restaurant breakfast buffet. It's only in the U.S. and Canada that hotels think they'll go broke if they offer anything more than bread and unripe fruit.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
What do you mean "Diamond breakfast benefit of the month?" Is Hilton highlighting a Diamond benefit every month?
he means it’s a constantly moving target, and no one knows what to expect.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Outside of the U.S. and Canada, Diamonds routinely get complimentary full restaurant breakfast buffet or lounge breakfast, while Golds routinely get complimentary full restaurant breakfast buffet. It's only in the U.S. and Canada that hotels think they'll go broke if they offer anything more than bread and unripe fruit.
agreed. For their room prices they can afford to show some loyalty. I look forward to my trips oversees (benefit wise) as they know how to provide a much better loyalty experience.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Just checked in here. Few updates:

1. Breakfast benefit is $15/pp (max benefit $30) per day at the Grand Dining Room. Was told by FDC it is taken off at time of bill so doesn't seem like you can stack it.

2. Room UG's. Emailed hotel ahead of time and they accommodated an upgrade to the Lagoon Wing "Ocean View". Was offered an UG to a suite for between $500-1000/night. Napua tower UG was offered for $250/N. When I said no magically I was offered the "lowest and best" offer of $150/N. Still declined. While it might be worth it for some I didn't bite. IMO sad to see Hilton nickel and dime their top elites, I guess this is what you get for watering down elite status.

Anyway, we just wrapped up a several day stay at the Andaz and you really can't compare. They are totally different properties. Let's just say we were glad we stayed at the Andaz as well. Just for kicks though a few differences:

1. Check in amenity: Andaz (Bottle of wine and chocolates) - GW (Exotic fruit jellies)
2. Upgrade: Andaz (Partial Ocean View Suite) - GW ("Ocean View Room") which had no better views than the Andaz Partial Ocean View
3. Parking: Andaz (free as part of award stay) - GW ($35 plus tax)
4. Resort fee: Both waived, but Andaz you have a lot more classes and free activities (eg boating)

More to come...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.