Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by gaobest

i booked cabana and it’s $700/day. Last year it was $600/day

This rate is only during peak holiday times. It is $350 per day otherwise. You must be there at Easter.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I think it depends on the Cabana, we were asking about the ones with tv's and were told they were $600, and it was not a holiday of any kind. I think the simpler ones are less.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:05 pm

We are returning in April because we love the pool experience. We are also staying at Westin kaanapali during this week

i love GW but it’s not cheap
menu links (without prices)
https://www.grandwailea.com/dine/

i booked cabana and it’s $700/day. Last year it was $600/day

but I’ll keep returning until we get bored of the pool and water elevator.
i love morimoto’s and hope to eat there during the holiday. Will balance it with meals at Paia fish market!

i see Maui as an expensive holiday and I love visiting. I’m not yet ready to book holidays on other parts of Hawaii
but I don’t think we will stay at GW after 15 years from now so I’m not buying the membership. I may regret this decision!
You will never regret not buying a membership. In fact, someday you will thank yourself for having the good sense to pass on it.

Last edited by smmrfld; Feb 10, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We are in GW during April “spring break” as last year when it was $600. It’s the basic cabana with 4-6 chaise but I need that extra sun protection and I’ll just pay for it. We stayed there in Feb 2017 and it was cheaper
finally one thing about the buffet... I loved eating the expensive loco moco in the dining room. It was yummy
but there were 4-6 birds flying all over the buffet. Staff couldn’t stop them. It was disturbing and I can’t eat in the dining room again. We can’t control birds and open windows but I’m sticking with Cafe Kula
it is cheaper to dine away from GW but I love the casual strolling. So I’m not in the mood to leave GW that often
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:00 pm

For $600 I'll continue to wrap myself up in towels like a mummy. Ridiculous price. And so many of them sat empty. Did they ever think to lower the price and they'd all be full?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but I’ll keep returning until we get bored of the pool and water elevator.
My wife and I took the water elevator and declared it a "once in a lifetime" experience. Because we couldn't imagine why we'd want to do it again. Nobody else has ever built one, so we may not be in the minority.

The pool is pleasant enough (a bit odd, but pleasant). I honestly think those under 10 would enjoy it the most, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
For $600 I'll continue to wrap myself up in towels like a mummy. Ridiculous price. And so many of them sat empty. Did they ever think to lower the price and they'd all be full?
Yes, the prices of those cabanas boggle my mind, but lots of people pay it at the Grand Wailea! I'm kind of shocked, as I've been in many other 4 and 5 star resorts where they have canbanas and people won't rent them for 50 bucks!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
The ones with the TVs are the family cabanas, seat about 8, and you get a ton more stuff than the smaller cabanas. If you watch the stuff they do and bring for the family cabanas, I think you might have a different opinion.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
The ones with the TVs are the family cabanas, seat about 8, and you get a ton more stuff than the smaller cabanas. If you watch the stuff they do and bring for the family cabanas, I think you might have a different opinion.
I'll ask next time about the various costs - last time we specifically asked about the TV because there was some big sporting event going on my husband wanted to see (can't remember what it was). Hey, with the Aspire $250 credit it makes it a bargain $350, right?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:08 am

We inquired about the cabanas and when told it was $600 I laughed in the guy's face. I'm not sure what Id pay for it but it sure as hell isn't $600
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I'll ask next time about the various costs - last time we specifically asked about the TV because there was some big sporting event going on my husband wanted to see (can't remember what it was). Hey, with the Aspire $250 credit it makes it a bargain $350, right?
Haha. Of course, you should probably figure the card annual fee in your calculations.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

Haha. Of course, you should probably figure the card annual fee in your calculations.
But of course! As well as the free night, the airline credit, the extra points...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I agree that the water elevator is once in a lifetime experience to simply say that you did it.

It is not very exciting. Moves slow. Long lines to take your turn. Etc.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:03 am

Basic Question From A Newb

Hello Flyertalk!

Long time lurker, first time poster hoping all of you knowledgeable people can give me some advice on the check in particulars at GW.

My husband and I will be there first week in April (terrace view king) and are Hilton Gold, and hoping for a room upgrade. We land at OGG at 10:00 am, well before check-in time, and are wondering about the merits of checking in online vs doing it in person.

Are you more likely to get a room upgrade if you check-in in person?

We’re debating between picking up the rental car, grabbing lunch, and then just heading down to Wailea and checking in as soon as we can vs. checking in online and taking the rest of the day to explore West Maui, probably not getting to the hotel until 2-4 hours after check-in time (which I believe is 4:00).

Any advice you have on best way to check-in to get the best room is appreciated!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:37 am

Check your reservation a couple of days out. We were PRE-upgraded from the lowest terrace room (on points) to Garden/POV a few days before.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by alonft
Hello Flyertalk!

Long time lurker, first time poster hoping all of you knowledgeable people can give me some advice on the check in particulars at GW.

My husband and I will be there first week in April (terrace view king) and are Hilton Gold, and hoping for a room upgrade. We land at OGG at 10:00 am, well before check-in time, and are wondering about the merits of checking in online vs doing it in person.

Are you more likely to get a room upgrade if you check-in in person?

We’re debating between picking up the rental car, grabbing lunch, and then just heading down to Wailea and checking in as soon as we can vs. checking in online and taking the rest of the day to explore West Maui, probably not getting to the hotel until 2-4 hours after check-in time (which I believe is 4:00).

Any advice you have on best way to check-in to get the best room is appreciated!
If it were me (and this is what we usually do) I would pick up the rental car and head up to Mama's Fish House for lunch. It is a great restaurant on the water that is far from where you are staying. By the time you have picked up rental car, gone there, eaten, and headed to GW it should be around 1:30 or 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.