Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by iahphx
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but if you're a Diamond on an award stay, I presume there's no easy/cheap way to get into the Napua Tower with these lounge benefits? I certainly get the impression that nothing is cheap on Maui.
There have been several discussions just up the thread about Diamond upgrades to the Napua Tower. Happen occasionally, but certainly not regularly, and are specifically exempted in the HHonors rules and regs. Diamond is not owed an upgrade to Napua Tower.

One or two people have mentioned talking their way into an "at check in" upgrade for a nominal sum...like maybe $100 or $125/night. Rarer than Diamond upgrades.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by sangfroyd
Has anyone stayed at the GW and Hyatt Andaz? I'm debating whether or not that would be a better choice after reading how GW seems out-dated.
Haven't stayed at Andaz but I was at GW last year. I didn't get the feeling it was out-dated. Maybe the bathrooms were a little more on the not-so-updated side but the main living area of the room was clean and modern.

As mentioned earlier, if you have kids, then the GW has great amenities for families. The Andaz brand never struck me as a spot I'd even think about going to with a kid.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Ti, Hilton Dia, MVC Chairman, Hertz PC, Royal Caribbean D+, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by sangfroyd
Yikes, the food credit sucks. Does upgrading to Napua Tower give you a more full breakfast included? I saw @frank808 mentioned bottled waters, breakfast & heavy apps, with a happy hour, etc.
Breakfast is 3 to 4 hot items, pastries, cold cut meats, cheeses, cereal and fruits. Juices, coffee and tea available in the morning. Water is available all day in the cooler by concierge desk. Cocktails from 4pm-9pm.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Tell me I'm not being punished! Sometimes these boards can make you crazy...we have stayed there before, and loved it. Absolutely loved the pools.

Anyway, this was the Hilton Hawaiian Village's "turn" for our annual trip to Hawaii...but while waiting for next September's airfare to appear, the Ali'i Tower Ocean View rooms we always get went from 136K a night to 180K something! We don't have that many points, and even if we did, those are crazy numbers, especially with NO 5th night free because they are premium awards!

So we have had to "settle" for the GW again, lol. 95K with the 5th night free. Even with all the angst the breakfast shenanigans has caused, I think we'll be ok. I hope.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
You hope? I have stayed at both of these properties and even putting the HHV in the same sentence at GW is a joke. Not to mention Maui is a way better island. This whole post made me laugh
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I guess you must have missed that I was joking about the punishment and angst - I've also stayed at both of these properties, and I do like them both.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I guess you must have missed that I was joking about the punishment and angst - I've also stayed at both of these properties, and I do like them both.
I find nothing special about HHV. Also not a fan of Oahu or Honolulu
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:43 pm

just returned from a 3 night stay at the grand wailea. While the hotel itself is grand and beautiful , the service is almost non-existent and dis-organized. I stayed for a night at the residence inn nearby and find their service to be vastly superior and well organized. During my time there, they changed the breakfast benefit from $40 per day for 2 guests for dine in only , (extra $10 for service charges) to $30 per day at any of their on-site restaurants.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by runnnerdude2k2
just returned from a 3 night stay at the grand wailea. While the hotel itself is grand and beautiful , the service is almost non-existent and dis-organized. I stayed for a night at the residence inn nearby and find their service to be vastly superior and well organized. During my time there, they changed the breakfast benefit from $40 per day for 2 guests for dine in only , (extra $10 for service charges) to $30 per day at any of their on-site restaurants.
You sure about the $40 per day? It was $30 per day, room service only, mid October. Better if it applies to all restaurants...much better benefit, IMO.

Service has never been an issue in our 8 or 10 stays there, but YMMV.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by runnnerdude2k2
...... $30 per day at any of their on-site restaurants.
You mean the $30 per day breakfast benefit can be use at any restaurants any time (breakfast/lunch/dinner)?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:07 pm

Going back December 26 and can no wait
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I just got back. As a Gold, we got upgraded to an Ocean View room overlooking the pools. I would have preferred an ocean view room overlooking the chapel instead, as it would have been quieter, but beggars can't be choosers.

We got the $30 daily "Food and Beverage" credit, which was applied without any issues. There were no restrictions as far as I could tell, other than $30 must be charged to the room on each specific day. As far as food/beverage goes, here's my quick reviews of everywhere we ate:
  • Grand Dining Room - Beautiful setting with an awesome Sunday Brunch with truly bottomless mimosas for $65 a person; I can't recommend it enough. On other days, the buffet looked pretty basic (it's cheaper those days) but the a la carte menu items were solid.
  • Humuhumu - One step above a Red Lobster. Not impressive, especially for the price, but not awful. Cute setting though.
  • Botero Lounge - The only part of the hotel that has good cocktails, from what I can tell. Their limited food options were impressive too.
  • Room Service - What you would expect. Mediocre but convenient.
  • Poolside Service - Weak, mass-produced cocktails. The food was about room service quality, but slow (one hour to get a peanut butter and jelly sandwich slow).
On the whole, I was happy with my stay (I used points for the room) but the food/beverage quality was generally lacking. I have no problem paying "resort prices" but paying through the nose at a high-end resort should still get you a certain level of quality.

Also, if you want to sit on the beach, you'll need to reserve a chair with the pool attendant early in the day. There is only so much beach to go around, and once those chairs fill-up, you'll need to sit by the pool (where there's ~5x chairs as there is on the beach) or hope to swoop-in after people leave their beach chairs.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by patmcpsu
Also, if you want to sit on the beach, you'll need to reserve a chair with the pool attendant early in the day. There is only so much beach to go around, and once those chairs fill-up, you'll need to sit by the pool (where there's ~5x chairs as there is on the beach) or hope to swoop-in after people leave their beach chairs.
Thanks for confirming the $30 applies to all restaurants on the property now.

Unfortunately the beach at Grand Wailea has lost a lot of sand the last year or so. It is probably less than half the size it was two or three years ago- all the beaches in the Wailea area have this problem. Probably the 2 near misses by hurricanes in the last year. This has limited the number of lounges on the beach.

Mother Nature always has the final say.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by patmcpsu
We got the $30 daily "Food and Beverage" credit, which was applied without any issues. There were no restrictions as far as I could tell, other than $30 must be charged to the room on each specific day. As far as food/beverage goes, here's my quick reviews of everywhere we ate:
  • Grand Dining Room - Beautiful setting with an awesome Sunday Brunch with truly bottomless mimosas for $65 a person; I can't recommend it enough. On other days, the buffet looked pretty basic (it's cheaper those days) but the a la carte menu items were solid.
Is it just me, or does the frequency by which this hotel changes its elite breakfast benefit seem absolutely bizarre?

I'm glad the Sunday brunch is nice. But I'm hard pressed to think that any brunch could be worth about $160 for 2. I guess if I applied my $60 credit, it would only be $100.

Any better value options to spend the new credit?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:28 am

Under these new rules, can the $30 daily credit be used at the onsite mini mart (Cafe Kula)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.