Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Andriyko
You will get the credit irrespective of the room type you book.

What you are missing here is that it is up to others to decide where and how to spend their money and what to think of a particular property. If you think that Grand Wailea does not offer enough for the rates they charge it does not mean that others are of similar views. Not everyone thinks that a rate of a certain level must come with breakfast and/or other amenities. No need to preoccupy yourself with thinking about why others choose to stay here as their reasons obviously won't persuade you to decide to do the same. What is 'adequate' is a very personal judgement after all. Everything is relative - a US$750 rate means different things to different people. Moreover, rates here are often cheaper than what you quoted. It is only during busy and popular periods that they are this high.
I have just come back from the Grand Wailea and had a great time. I certainly do not think that it is a mediocre property and can see why it appeals to those who stay here. I love how they renovated the rooms and I love the grounds/pools. I was upgraded to a great Deluxe Ocean view room and granted a complimentary 5pm checkout. It is not a property to vacation 'on the cheap,' but I don't think Hawaii is a cheap destination in general.
me too! I just can't stop loving the GW
but I cannot decide about joining the membership. Argh the math makes sense but I get so confused! My recent stay included 4 cabana days for $2500 total, just for cabana.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gaobest
sfo to Ogg is 5 hours nonstop. I believe SFO to Asia is more than "a bit further" - more like 12-15 hours to Bali or Thailand. And yes Asia is cheaper. I simply prefer Maui!
In fact it's going to be at least 18 hours travel time to Thailand or Bali. Hawaii is so easy from SFO.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:31 pm

Returned last week from a week at WG. This was our fourth stay there. This was the first time we did not experience a conference while we were there and it was great. The facilities were not overcrowded as in the past. I don't know if it was because of the no conference or the volcano scare, but it was great. A portion of the lazy river was closed the whole time we where there. I was given 12 Kula Cafe $15 certificates when I arrived. The name and dates were not filled in. I used two one day and when I redeemed them, they were treated as cash and I wasn't asked anything. I then handed my wife two more and she went and immediately redeemed them. In all, it turned out to be a great week and enjoyable stay.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by CalvaryMike
Returned last week from a week at WG. This was our fourth stay there. This was the first time we did not experience a conference while we were there and it was great. The facilities were not overcrowded as in the past. I don't know if it was because of the no conference or the volcano scare, but it was great. A portion of the lazy river was closed the whole time we where there. I was given 12 Kula Cafe $15 certificates when I arrived. The name and dates were not filled in. I used two one day and when I redeemed them, they were treated as cash and I wasn't asked anything. I then handed my wife two more and she went and immediately redeemed them. In all, it turned out to be a great week and enjoyable stay.
that is interesting about the vouchers. We will be there next week for 5 nights and assumed we would only get to use 2 per day so this is definitely good to know! In regards to the lazy river.....do you know what the reason was for the partial closure and if it would be reopened soon? Since next week is considered summer and a "peak travel time" I am hoping the luck you had with crowds will follow into our stay as well lol! We typically vacation at WDW so crowds are something we are accustom to and prepared for, but it would be nice to have is not as bad as we are anticipating. I've been checking online for room avail. and there seem to still be almost every room type still open with the exception of our last night when shows no avail for any rooms.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Jenn0625
that is interesting about the vouchers. We will be there next week for 5 nights and assumed we would only get to use 2 per day so this is definitely good to know! In regards to the lazy river.....do you know what the reason was for the partial closure and if it would be reopened soon? Since next week is considered summer and a "peak travel time" I am hoping the luck you had with crowds will follow into our stay as well lol! We typically vacation at WDW so crowds are something we are accustom to and prepared for, but it would be nice to have is not as bad as we are anticipating. I've been checking online for room avail. and there seem to still be almost every room type still open with the exception of our last night when shows no avail for any rooms.
They said it was due to re-plastering. However, there was no work going on nor looked like they were preparing to doing any work. The area that was closed was the second slide right after the water elevator and right before you enter the water bar area. Also, we spent a week on the Big Island at Kings Land followed by a week at GW. Other than one day of Vog at KL, the volcano activity was not noticeable besides news on the TV. Weather was fantastic. I hope you have a great time.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:19 pm

Just checked in to the GW today after a 2 night stay at Hyatt Regency Maui. Pool is still closed in the section the PP stated a few weeks ago. Bummer. Also our $15 vouchers for being Diamond members can be used at the Cafe, as well as the bistro and Humuhumhu, however they can only be redeemed between 5-8pm, which I was unaware of the time restrictions, and we were planning on using them for breakfast and lunch so going to have to change our strategy a bit since we had dinners planned off site. Did get an update from Terrance view to deluxe ocean and that is fantastic!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Just checked in to the GW today after a 2 night stay at Hyatt Regency Maui. Pool is still closed in the section the PP stated a few weeks ago. Bummer. Also our $15 vouchers for being Diamond members can be used at the Cafe, as well as the bistro and Humuhumhu, however they can only be redeemed between 5-8pm, which I was unaware of the time restrictions, and we were planning on using them for breakfast and lunch so going to have to change our strategy a bit since we had dinners planned off site. Did get an update from Terrance view to deluxe ocean and that is fantastic!
5-8 pm? So does that mean there is NO breakfast benefit?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
5-8 pm? So does that mean there is NO breakfast benefit?
In addition to Bistro Molikini, Cafe Kula, and Humuhumu - can also be redeemed through Room Service. They were enforcing the 5-8pm timeframe at Cafe Kula. May want to pick up some breakfast items the night before and use the in room fridge.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by J0HN

In addition to Bistro Molikini, Cafe Kula, and Humuhumu - can also be redeemed through Room Service. They were enforcing the 5-8pm timeframe at Cafe Kula. May want to pick up some breakfast items the night before and use the in room fridge.
correct I forgot about in room dining as well. And yes, I can second the inforcement of the times you can use. We tried for lunch and they said nope. Only 5-8
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

correct I forgot about in room dining as well. And yes, I can second the inforcement of the times you can use. We tried for lunch and they said nope. Only 5-8
This must be a new development. It was possible to use the vouchers at any time of the day (at Cafe Kula only) last month.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:11 am

We checked in May 21 and while we had a fabulous stay, this voucher issue was a problem. I had the vouchers that were good only for 5-8 pm (although the check-in guy told us they were good for breakfast when asked). When they were not accepted I questioned that, and some people had vouchers that WERE good for all day (I am a Diamond member so it wasn't due to that). Apparently the previous weekend the changes had been made.

Also it was a challenge using the vouchers at Cafe Kula from 5-8 pm. The voucher says Food & Drink. When I tried to simply buy drinks with my vouchers, they told me that I also had to buy food. When I tried to buy packaged snacks, they told me this won't work because this is considered 'retail' and not food. I therefore HAD to order a hot food item and drinks; it was very very frustrating. Otherwise it was a fabulous stay, we had been given a fabulous room and treated wonderfully, and after bringing this situation up to the front desk, they did give us a breakfast credit and apologized for the confusion. Still it's clear there has been a change in policy regarding breakfast vouchers here.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
The Hilton My Way Benefits still show a Continental Breakfast for member and one guest at W-A's - I just don't see how they can ignore that without a change in the written policy.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:14 am

I checked out on May 19th and I was able to use the certificates anytime and on anything at Cafe Kula. I wish I knew about Humuhumu and the Bistro. We ate at both places once and I had left over certificates that I gave away.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:20 am

Yep that's the weekend when they switched over to the new vouchers with many limitations on usage; as I said, I was not allowed to use vouchers only for drinks in Cafe Kula, and not for any chips or other snack items.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by iahphx
There are obviously mis-rankings on Tripadvisor, but there is almost always a genuine impact on perceived "value" in the ratings. Participants will give higher ratings to hotels that they feel deliver better value. This is why, in most cities, the "extended stay" hotels tend to score very well, as average customers get lots of stuff "for free" and feel more charitably toward those properties. On the flip side, regular hotels -- with no freebies and very high hotel rates -- tend to get mediocre scores even if they are, objectively, "better hotels." The Grand Wailea seems like the poster boy for such a hotel!

BTW, if I had to pay $750/night for a resort in Hawaii, I would NEVER stay at a resort in Hawaii. Kind of like I never pay to stay at a resort in Bermuda: they can be nice, but the value is horrific. It's a big world. Honestly, at $750, if you live on the West Coast, you're better flying a bit further across the Pacific and going to Southeast Asia for your vacation. For example, I think a comparable Balinese resort would cost 1/6th this price. And all your other expenses would be far less than half. I have a hard time believing that the folks who are spending this money don't realize this, or care.
I prefer Bali or Thailand over Hawaii but I still keep going back to Hawaii. We have several direct flights to Hawaii from an airport 5 miles from home. I love to talk about how over rated Hawaii is but that doesn't stop us from going back to Hawaii and enjoying it. I can do a 4 day trip to Hawaii. It would be difficult to do that with Bali or Thailand.. I simply don't have enough vacation time to visit those places.

If I had a choice, I would not go to Hawaii but in my severely constrained life, I'll make do with Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.