Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by UsernameChuck
Just realized that some friends of ours (our kids are in school together) will be at the Fairmont while we're at GW - literally the same 5 nights. It'll be great to see them on the beach, for snorkeling, etc. - but would be even greater if they could come over and check out the pools for a day. I'm guessing that GW won't want any non-registered guests in the pools, but I don't want to give up too easily. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the ok to have visitors?
I see the dilemma. The kids would all prefer the GW pools, but there must have been a reason the other parents chose the FS. And your kids telling them how fun the pools are is not going to help. Seems to me, and I'm only half joking, either you don't see them at all or they switch to the GW.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I see the dilemma. The kids would all prefer the GW pools, but there must have been a reason the other parents chose the FS. And your kids telling them how fun the pools are is not going to help. Seems to me, and I'm only half joking, either you don't see them at all or they switch to the GW.
I think they couldn’t find free night availability... I think the Fairmont also has a nice pool (tbc it’s Fairmont, not FS). Maybe we’ll meet at the beach, but will they even let us share beach chairs?
Old May 16, 2021, 1:03 pm

I think they couldn’t find free night availability... I think the Fairmont also has a nice pool (tbc it’s Fairmont, not FS). Maybe we’ll meet at the beach, but will they even let us share beach chairs?
You're right, I misread, thought you said FS. I've stayed at the Kea Lani, too, and much less of an issue - their pools are great. I think one had a volleyball net across it and a basketball hoop (not sure the ages of all the kids) but I was picturing (the boring) to kids FS pool (some kids, don't want to get flamed But I really doubt either hotel would want non-guests.
Old May 16, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Just realized that some friends of ours (our kids are in school together) will be at the Fairmont while we're at GW - literally the same 5 nights. It'll be great to see them on the beach, for snorkeling, etc. - but would be even greater if they could come over and check out the pools for a day. I'm guessing that GW won't want any non-registered guests in the pools, but I don't want to give up too easily. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the ok to have visitors?
Expounding on what others have said, the GW uses bracelets at the pools so a family without will certainly stick out. I've only stayed at the Fairmont once but I remember the vibe being a lot more chill. Of course I would never recommend anyone breaking the rules, but you might be able to spend some time over there.

As for the beach, you can only get any as many chairs as there are registered guests. However the beaches are public, so if people are happy with rotating or using towels on the beach, there is no reason you can't all get together at either beach.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 5:00 pm

Does anyone know why this place plays games with award ability and what the rhyme or reason is? I see standard room bookable with money next spring but not on the points rate. Do they get released eventually?​​​​
Old May 16, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Terrace Garden View is the only room bookable with HH at the standard rate, might be a different 'standard' room you're looking at?

Edit: conflated both room types, but sentiment was in the right place - it is only terrace view rooms that show up as 95k standard rooms per the folks below.

Last edited by ChurnieEls; May 16, 2021 at 8:23 pm
Old May 16, 2021, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by jbandy10
Does anyone know why this place plays games with award ability and what the rhyme or reason is? I see standard room bookable with money next spring but not on the points rate. Do they get released eventually?​​​​
I see a reasonable amount of 95K rooms available in February, March and half of April next year. Might not be your specific dates, but if you search by "Flexible Dates" they are there.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Terrace Garden View is the only room bookable with HH at the standard rate, might be a different 'standard' room you're looking at?
No. I'm seeing it right. Garden view is available for cash for my dates but they're charging the 300K "premium" award price. Seems like that's the case for a lot of dates.
Old May 16, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
No. I'm seeing it right. Garden view is available for cash for my dates but they're charging the 300K "premium" award price. Seems like that's the case for a lot of dates.
it’s terrace view that’s 95k, not garden
Old May 16, 2021, 7:07 pm

Correct. And they are only maybe 1/4 of the rooms (if that), they are the ones that face the road, everything else faces the garden or the ocean. So they go fast.
Old May 17, 2021, 12:27 pm

And.....yes. Thanks. I'm mistaken.

Well, there goes my Spring break. GW was the only property in the Hilton portfolio that I was looking to book in HI. Now it's probably going to come down to deciding which Bonvoy resort I have to "settle" for and figuring out how to get enough points.
Old May 17, 2021, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Well, there goes my Spring break. GW was the only property in the Hilton portfolio that I was looking to book in HI. Now it's probably going to come down to deciding which Bonvoy resort I have to "settle" for and figuring out how to get enough points.

Hi,

Any reason not to consider the Hilton Waikoloa village on Hawaii- It is not the most modern hotel but loved the size of it , the art work in the walkways, the pools and the lanscaping on top of the black lava rocks by the sea.?

Regards

TBS
Old May 17, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Any reason not to consider the Hilton Waikoloa village on Hawaii- It is not the most modern hotel but loved the size of it , the art work in the walkways, the pools and the landscaping on top of the black lava rocks by the sea.?

Regards

TBS
It's the size of it we are trying to avoid, actually. We've stayed at big massive resorts before and never enjoyed it. We usually just end up finding one spot to lounge around and stick to that. We rarely, if ever do any "resort activities." Our "activity" is sitting by the pool, eating, drinking, and swimming. This is why we much prefer places like the Hyatt Ziva style resorts that are a bit on the smaller side.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 12:42 pm

Have you been checking often? I have the theory that availability will get bumps when the state allows greater occupancy percentage. Also, I've been looking at close-in bookings, it seems like they may release rooms close to the date - if your other booking is flexible until 24 hours before, maybe you could switch last minute (obviously this works best if you'd be staying on Maui, or if you have SW points).

One more thought - if we're talking about a points reservation, I thought Bonvoy options seemed very overpriced. I'd go with other Hilton options first - but that's just me. (Since we were using FNCs, GW made the most sense for us, but if we were on a points reservation I'd have been thinking about other options as well). Hyatt options seemed better deals to me than Marriott.
Old May 17, 2021, 1:08 pm

The GW is a massive resort, too! And I do agree with the banking scot about the Waikoloa, we're discussing it right now on it's own thread. If you ignore the Ocean Tower which is all condos, it cuts the size of it in half practically. We only took the boat down to the Ocean Tower once just to see it.

Sounds like you have kids, since you mentioned Spring Break? (or not). The Marriott Wailea is great for adults and families, they have the main pool but also the adults only infinity pool.

And tons of Bonvoy properties up in Kaanapali area.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.