Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
The benefits include WiFi, so you wouldn't miss that? Yes, I have never used the free scuba lesson, or the formal picture session. But I definitely use the WiFi.
It was a general question about any hotel that charges it, resorts of course, but many Hiltons in New York, for example. Those are the hotels where we save our points to use (or did ) . And I was under the impression the WiFi was usually a Hilton status perk, not necessarily part of a resort fee.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by drewdawg199
... FYI the member discount is not valid on cabanas last we had checked, so definitely look into that if you consider joining.
The annual fee was raised in Jan. 2020 from $225 to $350.
OUCH about the cabanas not being part of discount. Ouch.
to me, I would just expect the member discount to cover everything onsite... including the $675/700 cabana (April). Wow.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by gaobest
OUCH about the cabanas not being part of discount. Ouch.
to me, I would just expect the member discount to cover everything onsite... including the $675/700 cabana (April). Wow.
The regular cabanas are $400 during all but peak times, like about two weeks around Christmas and New Years. The larger "Family" cabanas are regular priced at $700. Don't know their peak season price.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:46 pm

We were booked at the GW both for last March (2020) and this March (2021) - each time the cabanas were going to be at the higher prices. Both times we had to cancel because of Covid.

The reason I was asking about resort fees was because we have now switched to Ho'Olei and their resort fee covers umbrellas at the beach, which while not cabanas, do provide the shade we are seeking. I'm just wondering if the resort fee (that we won't pay since we booked on points) will provide us with 6 chairs and umbrellas on the beach, since we are a family of 6?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Yes, just make sure you register 6 people. They do check at the beach.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by vtgambler
Yes, just make sure you register 6 people. They do check at the beach.
That is great news...of course they know we are 6, that's what we booked in our 3 BR villa. Very happy to hear we can get 6 chairs with umbrellas at the beach, the kids won't mind (and neither will we) walking back and forth to the pool.

What I really hope is that since, as the grandparents, we get up at the crack of dawn, we can get these set up in the morning?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
That is great news...of course they know we are 6, that's what we booked in our 3 BR villa.

The real question is how many points did it cost? Wow!!!
Old Jan 17, 2021, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by davidsc111
The real question is how many points did it cost? Wow!!!
LOL yes we did a few gulps ourselves, but we think it's worth it...first of all, know that we cancelled a pile of reward stays all over the country because of Covid so we had the stockpile this year...that being said, another perspective was that we are getting 3 BRs, living room, full kitchen, dining room,3 baths, 2 big lanais, yada yada...the grand total for 5 nights is 1,490,000 points. Honestly, knowing what the cash price would have been, and knowing with points it also covers taxes, resort fees, plus free parking, it's a veritable bargain! Only fly in the ointment was that with these condos you do NOT get the 5th night free when you use points, so we're paying 298K for each of the 5 nights.

We've stayed before across the street (GW) just the two of us and we know our grandkids are going to love the place, and as a family we love having the living areas to hang out together.

Am I talking myself into it? Sure. It's a lot of points, but that's what they're there for.
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Honestly, that's way better than I thought. I've seen regular rooms at the GW at that price. Too bad about the 5 night free though. Have fun!
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
The regular cabanas are $400 during all but peak times, like about two weeks around Christmas and New Years. The larger "Family" cabanas are regular priced at $700. Don't know their peak season price.
when we last stayed there in April 2018 & 2019 (Spring Break), it was at the $700 or $675 daily rate. It’s large enough for my family (maybe 5 covered chaise plus 2-3 more chaise?) and lacks the tv as in the bigger cabanas. I’m pretty sure that I was paying regular retail and not a special price just for me.
when we first stayed there in feb 2017, we did indeed pay much less - I was aware of the retail price discrepancy because a friend insisted on contributing and I told her she sent much more than the daily rate. That’s when I realized that spring break was going to cost more.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
LOL yes we did a few gulps ourselves, but we think it's worth it...first of all, know that we cancelled a pile of reward stays all over the country because of Covid so we had the stockpile this year...that being said, another perspective was that we are getting 3 BRs, living room, full kitchen, dining room,3 baths, 2 big lanais, yada yada...the grand total for 5 nights is 1,490,000 points. Honestly, knowing what the cash price would have been, and knowing with points it also covers taxes, resort fees, plus free parking, it's a veritable bargain! Only fly in the ointment was that with these condos you do NOT get the 5th night free when you use points, so we're paying 298K for each of the 5 nights.

We've stayed before across the street (GW) just the two of us and we know our grandkids are going to love the place, and as a family we love having the living areas to hang out together.

Am I talking myself into it? Sure. It's a lot of points, but that's what they're there for.
Great deal! You would need to book 3 rooms on points to cover each of the bedrooms, and that is 285K/ night which is essentially a wash. Yes you don't get the 5th free night, but in lieu of that you are receiving all the benefits of the suite over the stay that you mentioned. Seems worth it to me.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 2:24 pm

I agree with both of you, we thought it was a good value.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:11 pm

Personally I think it’s a GREAT deal. I’ll take 3500sf of luxury townhouse over 3 standard rooms at the GW any day. Hopefully we can find 2 couples to travel with us again some day.

We never had problems getting set up on the beach during any of our stays, at any time of day. It’s not the zoo that the pool area is.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by vtgambler
Personally I think it’s a GREAT deal. I’ll take 3500sf of luxury townhouse over 3 standard rooms at the GW any day. Hopefully we can find 2 couples to travel with us again some day.

We never had problems getting set up on the beach during any of our stays, at any time of day. It’s not the zoo that the pool area is.
Yes I was curious when you said before you stayed there just as a couple - that's a lot of space to spread out!

It's odd that they only have 3 br units...most complexes have a variety of one and two, and three is not usually that common.

Are the 2 other bedrooms much smaller than the master? We're actually giving the master to our kids so the grandkids will be in the room next to them on the lower level, and we the grandparents will be upstairs.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 4:00 pm

No, we weren’t alone on that trip. All three bedrooms are good size with nice, private bathrooms. The master is definitely bigger though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.