Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2021, 12:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Finishing up a 3 night stay on certificates under two different reservations. My partner and I are both Diamond. We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to the Napua Tower with lounge access for breakfast 7-11a and cocktails 4-7p. It was completely serviceable for breakfast with yogurt/cereals/pastries/fruit/granola/hot-ish dried out egg-muffin sandwiches and drinks. We also enjoyed a daily cocktail and a quick bite before heading to dinner.

Diamond breakfast consisted of a $20 per person credit at Cafe Kula for breakfast items or grab and go between 7-11a. Many of the packaged items at the lounge were for sale at Cafe Kula.

Reservations are required for the gym and the hours are only 7-11a.

As noted, valet parking is $65! The valet guys were the nicest of the bunch. They shared occupancy was 15% on our arrival (2/11/21).

By 2/13/21 (President's Day weekend) we heard occupancy had risen to 30%. Pool chair pick-up at 10:30a was a complete disaster at 30%. The unhappy line of people must have been 30+ deep. We ended up just going to the chairs we reserved, getting bath towels from our room, and enjoying the pool time on our own. When we finally did check in at the pool desk at 2p (line still 5 deep), we were scolded for not checking in by 11a. We had some other issues with navigating the pool chair system. The pool staff seemed understaffed and ill-equipped to pivot to the current situation. Almost all chairs are reserved at the 30% occupancy level--and you can only reserve chairs in un-moveable pairs (due to COVID protocols). This is not an issue for a couple, but others with a larger party might need a strategy for success. Pool chairs are available to reserve at 4p for the next day. We found ourselves running back to the room for computer access to make our reservation.

All-in-all, an adequate use of certificates--especially since the resort fee is waived. Valet parking is ridiculously expensive and the pool chair system was a big miss. The restricted gym hours also made it difficult to use. The location and views are unbelievable and we enjoyed the pools. At 30%, it's a nice to have the resort to yourself, although the amenities seemed to be paired down as well. Keep your expectations low and you should have a pleasant stay!
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:25 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by juanitajh
Finishing up a 3 night stay on certificates under two different reservations. My partner and I are both Diamond. We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to the Napua Tower with lounge access for breakfast 7-11a and cocktails 4-7p. It was completely serviceable for breakfast with yogurt/cereals/pastries/fruit/granola/hot-ish dried out egg-muffin sandwiches and drinks. We also enjoyed a daily cocktail and a quick bite before heading to dinner.

Diamond breakfast consisted of a $20 per person credit at Cafe Kula for breakfast items or grab and go between 7-11a. Many of the packaged items at the lounge were for sale at Cafe Kula.

As noted, valet parking is $65! The valet guys were the nicest of the bunch. They shared occupancy was 15% on our arrival (2/11/21).

By 2/13/21 (President's Day weekend) we heard occupancy had risen to 30%. Pool chair pick-up at 10:30a was a complete disaster at 30%. The unhappy line of people must have been 30+ deep. We ended up just going to the chairs we reserved, getting bath towels from our room, and enjoying the pool time on our own. When we finally did check in at the pool desk at 2p (line still 5 deep), we were scolded for not checking in by 11a. We had some other issues with navigating the pool chair system. The pool staff seemed understaffed and ill-equipped to pivot to the current situation. Almost all chairs are reserved at the 30% occupancy level--and you can only reserve chairs in un-moveable pairs (due to COVID protocols). This is not an issue for a couple, but others with a larger party might need a strategy for success. Pool chairs are available to reserve at 4p for the next day. We found ourselves running back to the room for computer access to make our reservation.

All-in-all, an adequate use of certificates--especially since the resort fee is waived. Valet parking is ridiculously expensive and the pool chair system was a big miss. The restricted gym hours also made it difficult to use. The location and views are unbelievable and we enjoyed the pools. At 30%, it's a nice to have the resort to yourself, although the amenities seemed to be paired down as well. Keep your expectations low and you should have a pleasant stay!
If you are talking about the weekend certs that have been extended to weekdays, well done getting three nights straight. I can’t find a standard room in early May, only premium. I’m back in Maui in November and there’s some availability, but of course those certs expire 8/31/21.

I will keep looking, but May feels futile.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
Yes but are all pools and slides open?

Originally Posted by juanitajh

I am unclear if everything is open - all pools, slides, water elevator? Could you please tell me what is closed or can everything be used?

thank you.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by JB123
I am unclear if everything is open - all pools, slides, water elevator? Could you please tell me what is closed or can everything be used?

thank you.
Have you looked back through the discussions? The water elevator is not open...all the other water features are.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
Yes

But is unclear. The situation and restrictions keep changing.
UsernameChuck likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

thank you.
I would suggest to phone the hotel directly and ask but I fear it’s ymmv between the call and the actual date of reservation. It’s not going to be a pretty situation.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: hilton diamond, united 1k, priority
Ho’olei

Any experience with the Ho’olei? We have a family of 6 and rather than 3 hotel rooms are looking to rent one of their townhouses. Would live to hear about someone’s experience.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We're doing exactly the same thing, but not until October. There are several posts in this thread if you want to search by "Ho'olei", they were very helpful to me. We love the idea of all the living space and outdoor patios to do more than just sit on a chair. And love the idea of its own pool, even though the grandkids will love the big pool across the way. You also get free parking, and if you use points (which we are doing) you don't pay the pesky resort fee.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat

thank you.
We checked out Sunday 3/7. All slides and jump rope are open except water elevator.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by flyersky1
We checked out Sunday 3/7. All slides and jump rope are open except water elevator.
so awesome - I love the jump rope so much :-)
did you get to enjoy the adult pool?
Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:34 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by flyersky1
Same status as when we checked out Dec 10. So, steady as she goes...
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:40 am

So what exactly is the "water elevator" - a way to get up to the top so the kids can go down the slides, so now they have to climb stairs? Or something else?
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So what exactly is the "water elevator" - a way to get up to the top so the kids can go down the slides, so now they have to climb stairs? Or something else?
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:03 am

Hey thanks, didn't expect that. But does it go up and down? The video shut off before I could tell if it was elevating or not, just look like it went around in a circle.

And it's no mystery why in Covid times it's still closed.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Hey thanks, didn't expect that. But does it go up and down? The video shut off before I could tell if it was elevating or not, just look like it went around in a circle.

And it's no mystery why in Covid times it's still closed.
Yes, social distancing impossible with the elevator's normal load. Not practical to run it at a lower load.
Swimmers enter the elevator at ground level. Door is closed and water pumped in. Elevator floats the swimmers up to the top of a water slide.
It is unique in the world. Can't wait until we can take our granddaughter to experience it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.