Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:11 am

No Standard Availability

So I've been checking and they don't seem to have any standard availability until like next May. Is it always like this? Who's been booking all the rooms at this time especially for this year?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jhangilp
So I've been checking and they don't seem to have any standard availability until like next May. Is it always like this? Who's been booking all the rooms at this time especially for this year?
There's talk that the property won't reopen this year. Which would explain the lack of availability.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I see availability...not standard for either cash or points...but definitely availability starting Sept. 1. Where did you see, Weatherboy, talk they would not reopen this year?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:44 pm

I'm still hearing crickets from Weatherboy as to where he heard/read they weren't opening this year, but I thought I'd share this....

No idea how it affects anyone else's dates,etc., but I just noticed (for my dates) that Hilton is offering a lower price, fully refundable up to 24 hrs before, called (great, now the exact name has fallen out of my head) but it's something like Dream On. So check it out. Cheaper than AAA or AARP.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:47 pm

I am just curious as to if they are playing games and hiding standard availability or if people actually booked them up until next year May.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jhangilp
I am just curious as to if they are playing games and hiding standard availability or if people actually booked them up until next year May.
Part of it could be pent up demand with all the points we all haven't spent this year, all the Free Weekend Night certificates we couldn't use but can now use anytime, and the desire to go someplace nice after all this. There are pockets of days in May where it's also Premium Rewards only so I'm tending to think it's legit. Have you checked the Hiltons on other islands to see if it's the same story?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:05 pm

Yeah I can definitely see this being the case since I am trying to use my weekend certificates as well. Unfortunately there aren't any other Hiltons on Maui but the ones in Oahu seem to have a lot of availability for standard rooms. I guess it might be people just trying to get the best bang for the buck booking up the Waldorf Astorial Grand Wailea.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm still hearing crickets from Weatherboy as to where he heard/read they weren't opening this year, but I thought I'd share this....

No idea how it affects anyone else's dates,etc., but I just noticed (for my dates) that Hilton is offering a lower price, fully refundable up to 24 hrs before, called (great, now the exact name has fallen out of my head) but it's something like Dream On. So check it out. Cheaper than AAA or AARP.
I live here. Locally, Hilton has been vocal about keeping the Grand Wailea, the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and the Hilton Waikoloa Village closed for the balance of the calendar year with it becoming more and more likely tourists won't be able to freely come to the islands this year.

With the resumption of the interisland travel ban on Tuesday, hospitals expected to be beyond capacity by August 19, in-school instruction pushed from 8/4 to no earlier than mid September, and a tightening of access rules that now makes it against the law to sit on a beach or use a hotel swimming pool or even a non-resident from renting a car on some/all islands, don't expect tourism to return here anytime soon...or for resorts to reopen early.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:30 am

Thank you for your reply. What a terrible situation for everyone.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
My reservation for the GW in September was cancelled over the weekend with no email or phone call. I only happened to notice it wasn’t there anymore because I was booking a different trip. My stay was refunded and now I see the GW is “sold out” during the weeks I was supposed to be there.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Hawaii has announced they will be waiving the quarantine if visitors get a PCR test from a certified lab in the three days before arriving, and have proof of a negative test result. The start date of that option has been pushed back, though, and currently labs are backed up and it is taking weeks to get a result.

now delayed till October 1, 2020 "at the earliest." This is the 3rd consecutive monthly delay of their "target date" to start this waiver. Not looking good for 2020 any month in Hawaii right now
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/h...rus/index.html
Old Sep 7, 2020, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I was going to make a 5-night reservation for June 2021 using points. Then I noticed it says:

"This reservation requires a credit card deposit of $1,899.37 USD which will be charged to your card. You have flexibility. Free changes or cancellations until the day before arrival for individual bookings made through August 31. 380,000 points will be deducted from your point balance. (Your account will be updated within 2 hours.)"

Will they really charge my credit card this amount? When? I don't remember this happening in the past.
I was about to make a May 2021 reservation on points as well. 2 rooms. They want $1700 deposit per room. What is going on here....$3500 deposit for a free stay that is fully cancelable until the day prior anyways. No way. That is crazy. Did you make your reservation and did they charge the deposit?
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jennlynd
I was about to make a May 2021 reservation on points as well. 2 rooms. They want $1700 deposit per room. What is going on here....$3500 deposit for a free stay that is fully cancelable until the day prior anyways. No way. That is crazy. Did you make your reservation and did they charge the deposit?
i made my reservation with similar terms and post reservation the deposit changed to ~$100, nothing has been charged as of yet.
Jennlynd likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: hilton diamond, united 1k, priority
Well it’s official!

Our timing was a little off. Looks like thr state is opening on Oct 15 but our trip was planned for Oct 7th and can’t get points reservations for a full year. Any great ideas for a plan B?

Last edited by avnmgr; Sep 18, 2020 at 8:05 am
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by avnmgr
Our timing was a little off. Looks like thr state is opening on Oct 15 but our trip was planned for Oct 7th and can’t get points reservations for a full year. Any great ideas for a plan B?
Is this hotel even open yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.