Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2007, 5:53 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
There is one HHonors property at LAX and one near Disneyland that routine have the handicapped rooms significantly cheaper.

When I reserve those I always put a note in the comments field to the effect of DO NOT NEED ACCESSIBLE ROOM; BOOKED ONLY FOR PRICE; REQ AVL DMD UPGR TO NON-ACCESS ROOM
Old May 28, 2007, 9:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
This reminds me of someone waiting, with the motor running, in a handicap parking spot with no handicap sticker to pick up someone. So the poor handicap person that needs the spot for parking can't because another car is in the spot. In Santa Monica, CA thats a $341 parking violation. It would sure be appropriate for Hilton to get fined for making reservations for handicapped rooms to non-handicapped. Hope you never have knee replacement surgery and experience the pain I've had for the last 4 months.
That handicap room is a God send to me.
Old May 28, 2007, 9:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by belairpatrol
This reminds me of someone waiting, with the motor running, in a handicap parking spot with no handicap sticker to pick up someone. So the poor handicap person that needs the spot for parking can't because another car is in the spot. In Santa Monica, CA thats a $341 parking violation. It would sure be appropriate for Hilton to get fined for making reservations for handicapped rooms to non-handicapped. Hope you never have knee replacement surgery and experience the pain I've had for the last 4 months.
In Vista, a town located in the California county of San Diego, the fine for parking in a parking space reserved for disabled people is substantially greater than $400.00.

I should know. I received a parking ticket, courtesy of the San Diego County Sheriff.

I parked a van for fewer than 10 minutes in a parking space reserved for disabled people at a motel. There were plenty of other parking spaces, but I decided to park there, and the rented van that I was driving had no sticker nor any other indication that the van should park in a parking space reserved for a disabled person.

I might have deserved the parking ticket had I not been assisting three disabled people with their wheelchairs into their accessible motel rooms with exterior entrances.

Needless to say, I fought the law. I did not have to pay the fine.
Old May 28, 2007, 10:21 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by belairpatrol
...It would sure be appropriate for Hilton to get fined for making reservations for handicapped rooms to non-handicapped. ]Hope you never have knee replacement surgery and experience the pain I've had for the last 4 months.
It certainly sounds like it. To be clear, I've never actually taken the handicap room at my initiative.

However, more than once, I have been assigned the handicap-accessible room at check-in. In each case I've gone through the hassle of calling the desk and asking if another room was available, gone back to the desk to get new keys, etc.

The last time I made an award reservation, the only room showing available was a handicap-accessible room. I even called the Diamond Desk to ask if they would make it a non-handicap-accessible room and they couldn't do it.

If there were some way to limit reservations for such rooms to the disabled -- some electronic equivalent of the disabled licesne plates -- I'd support it.

Last edited by cblaisd; May 28, 2007 at 10:26 pm
Old May 28, 2007, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Canarsie
In Vista, a town located in the California county of San Diego, the fine for parking in a parking space reserved for disabled people is substantially greater than $400.00.

I should know. I received a parking ticket, courtesy of the San Diego County Sheriff.

I parked a van for fewer than 10 minutes in a parking space reserved for disabled people at a motel. There were plenty of other parking spaces, but I decided to park there, and the rented van that I was driving had no sticker nor any other indication that the van should park in a parking space reserved for a disabled person.

I might have deserved the parking ticket had I not been assisting three disabled people with their wheelchairs into their accessible motel rooms with exterior entrances.

Needless to say, I fought the law. I did not have to pay the fine.
Did you have to go to court? Did the hotel management become involved?
Old May 28, 2007, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Did you have to go to court? Did the hotel management become involved?
Hotel management was involved, and I did not have to go to court.

The officer who wrote the ticket was prompted to return to the scene after the hotel management called.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Accessible rooms

What are the thoughts on the quality of "accessible rooms" versus "normal" rooms?

I don't have a need for an accessible room, but have noted that the hotel I am looking at for an upcoming trip, the "accessible" room is at least 15% cheaper than the normal room.

This would be a Homewood Suites stay....
Old May 10, 2010, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been given a few and almost all were unacceptable do to super-elevated toilets, first floor locations and door buzzers children seem determined to push.

MisterNice
Old May 10, 2010, 12:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The accessible rooms I have seen are the same quality as other rooms, merely architecturally accessible for those with mobility impairments, often with enlarged bathrooms and sometimes with more room throughout, and generally on lower floor and elevator- or exit-close. (My preference is high floor away from elevator.)

I can't say I remember when I saw an accessible room for less than a non-accessible room, and though the lower rate is a temptation and probably an indication those rooms are underutilized, I'd probably refrain from booking an accessible because the day I do is the day someone needing one is likely to want one.
Old May 10, 2010, 6:07 pm

No difference in quality whatsoever in the many I've been in.

The one place I have consistently seen accessible rooms for less is at several of the SFO and LAX hotels.

There is of course the ethical dilemma (explored thoroughly on a thread a couple of years go) of whether to book an unneeded accessible room because of the rate, and to comment the reservation with something like "DO NOT NEED ACCESSIBLE RM - booked only because of rate."
Old May 10, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by cblaisd
No difference in quality whatsoever in the many I've been in.

The one place I have consistently seen accessible rooms for less is at several of the SFO and LAX hotels.

There is of course the ethical dilemma (explored thoroughly on a thread a couple of years go) of whether to book an unneeded accessible room because of the rate, and to comment the reservation with something like "DO NOT NEED ACCESSIBLE RM - booked only because of rate."
I've booked accessible rooms when they were the only rooms left had added a similar comment. About 50/50 on actually getting an accessible room. I've had a couple where there was no shower curtain, and half the bathroom was effectively the shower. I prefer non if possible.

Also, I don't really think there is an ethical dilemma. The only reason I can see that they would be cheaper is if the hotel had a glut of them, and were trying to get people who don't really need one to take one.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:18 pm

Only Handicapped Accessible Rooms Available For Hilton HHonors Points

I was playing around with the booking tool and noticed that it is not possible to book a standard king room with points at the HGI Las Vegas Strip South. All of the accessable room types are bookable at the basic point rate, and premium points awards are bookable for suites. Standard king rooms are available for cash. Any idea why this would be so?

(and, BTW, I know points bookings are a bad idea at such an inexpensive hotel: I was really just playing around)

Last edited by LawFly; Feb 17, 2012 at 4:32 pm Reason: added detail
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:21 pm

I think this happens sometimes due to an error from the hotel. If you call the reservations desk (or DD) they can help you with the reservation and get the error fixed.

If there is very limited availability ( and no standard rooms left) then it's probably not an error, it's just whats available.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There are often times the accessible rooms are available for quite a savings over a regular room, I would guess they just have more of them for the night(s) you are looking at then they think they will need and they are trying to get rid of them.

Give them a call and see if they can get you a regular room, or book it and put in the comments you do not need an accessible room, that they can move you to a non accessible room if they need it.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:03 pm

Only disabled room available, standard award?

I needed to book one night during a busy time for a hotel, a Hampton Inn. Rates were high. There were 3 room types available for an award night. Two of them were rooms meant for disabled people at the standard award rate of 30K. The third room was only available at a premium rate of 73K.

When I clicked on one of the disabled rooms to book, I got a message that I should only book it if I needed the disabled room, and if I didn't, choose another if available.

I explained the reason I booked this room in the comments section. I not only feel feel uncomfortable, I'm also concerned because I never saw a message like that before. It doesn't seem right to only offer disabled rooms at the standard point rate, then chastise people for booking. Should I expect a problem when checking in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.