Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:15 am

Since this is a long thread, I'll highlight an "insider" post I made about 7 years ago.

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
The number of accessible rooms for each hotel is set by law, not by need. That fact means that on most nights, there will be more available accessible rooms than needed.

Of the 11 years I worked at [the] two hotels [I worked], 9 where spent in Front Office positions (Front Desk, Reservations, Revenue Manager, Night Manager). I can only recall one time in which an arriving guest needed an accessible room but hadn't alerted us ahead of time. I was Revenue Manager at the time. The Front Desk employee came to me in a panic because there were no accessible rooms in the system. I went to check the arrivals and saw that a guest in an accessible room had placed a note saying he or she didn't need it. Problem solved in under 2 minutes.
If you see that an accessible room is cheaper than other rooms AND you are okay staying in that room type, go ahead and book it. A simple note like "accessible room not needed" on the reservation is all that is needed.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Jan 7, 2020 at 2:16 am Reason: Fixed quote.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:00 am

Okay to Book an Accessible Room to Save Points?

I'm looking at staying a Hilton resort property in Florida on points. Normal rooms are available starting at 275,000 a night, however the property has accessible rooms available at 60,000 points a night. Is it okay for me to book the accessible room even though I don't have a disability? After I book can I call the hotel and ask them to switch me to a normal room or will they cancel my reservation?
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Quip16
I'm looking at staying a Hilton resort property in Florida on points. Normal rooms are available starting at 275,000 a night, however the property has accessible rooms available at 60,000 points a night. Is it okay for me to book the accessible room even though I don't have a disability? After I book can I call the hotel and ask them to switch me to a normal room or will they cancel my reservation?
As long as you call in advance and let them know, you’re in the right. They won’t cancel on you.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
I've always been under the impression (and I know I've read it on some hotels) that you don't have to have a disability to book the accessible room, and in fact it has been explicitly approved, if other rooms are not available. No need to let the hotel know, nor do I think they will question you if you are "disabled".
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I think this is more of an ethical question than a logistical one. Logistically, you will be fine. Here's what is says when you go to book an accessible room:

This room is designed for guests with disabilities.

If you need these features or there are no other rooms available, please proceed. Otherwise, select a different room.

Now, the question is how do you interpret no other rooms available? Is it no other rooms in the entire hotel, no other rooms at this price, or something else? Personally, I would be fine with booking it as the last room available at the standard rate but others might not.
johnndor likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I think this is more of an ethical question than a logistical one. Logistically, you will be fine. Here's what is says when you go to book an accessible room:

This room is designed for guests with disabilities.

If you need these features or there are no other rooms available, please proceed. Otherwise, select a different room.

Now, the question is how do you interpret no other rooms available? Is it no other rooms in the entire hotel, no other rooms at this price, or something else? Personally, I would be fine with booking it as the last room available at the standard rate but others might not.
I would say this is unethical since most hotels have very few accessible rooms and by booking this room type you would be preventing this room type being made available for use by somebody truly needing an accessible room. Why should a hotel let you book an accessible room at a lower rate and then let you have a more expensive non-accessible room for the same price?

[Removed off-topic material; take such to OMIN/PR please]
jamesteroh likes this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 29, 2021 at 9:58 am
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by tobegold
I would say this is unethical since most hotels have very few accessible rooms and by booking this room type you would be preventing this room type being made available for use by somebody truly needing an accessible room. Why should a hotel let you book an accessible room at a lower rate and then let you have a more expensive non-accessible room for the same price?
I'm going to quote myself from a post I made in 2016:

Data Point: In the 11+ years I worked in hotels, there was only one single night we ever needed all of our accessible rooms. Once in over 4,000 nights.
Link to that Post: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26425991-post31.html

The number of accessible rooms is set by law, not by need. The likelihood that booking an accessible room because it's the cheapest will result in blocking someone who legitimately needs that room is slim to none in most cases.

There's nothing unethical about it because logistically it's not a problem for the Front Desk to find an accessible room. A note on the reservation like this is all that's needed: Accessible Room not Needed.

Of course, you should never book a room you aren't okay with getting. So, don't book an accessible room if you aren't okay with staying in one.

Note: We knew well in advance on that one night when we needed 100% of our accessible rooms because those rooms went to a group that booked them months in advance.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Jun 26, 2021 at 3:48 pm Reason: Added note.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:55 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
The idea that this is unethical is silly. Accessible rooms are rarely, rarely used for their intended purposes. Like others have already mentioned, a note on the reservation is good enough to let the property know that you're good with another room type if it becomes available the same as a note on the reservation is useful to let the property know that the accessible room is something that you need. FWIW, it's fairly common for hotels to make accessible rooms available to 3rd party sites to book on the cheap. If I'm travelling on a team member rate regardless of brand, I expect to get an accessible room regardless of the occupancy rate of where I'm staying. I've been getting accessible rooms give or take 50-60% of the time now for years.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:23 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Sometimes the only room type available (at the entry level) is an accessible room. In that case, if you book it, just note that an accessible room is not required. The hotel will then change the room type prior to checkin. Quite straightforward.

Last edited by DC9; Jun 27, 2021 at 12:29 am
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by johnndor
I've always been under the impression (and I know I've read it on some hotels) that you don't have to have a disability to book the accessible room, and in fact it has been explicitly approved, if other rooms are not available. No need to let the hotel know, nor do I think they will question you if you are "disabled".
I always let the hotel know that I don't need the accessible room and they're welcome to switch me if somebody else does.
DC9 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:41 pm

Unhappy Need help booking with Hilton

Sorry to ask probably an elementary question. I am trying to book standard rate but the only standard rates that come up are for accessibility rooms. All others options are for premium rooms with 5 times the points. Should I go ahead and just book the accessibility room? The website prompts me to select a different room if I do not need the accessibility features, which I don't. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Originally Posted by sadikuartan
Sorry to ask probably an elementary question. I am trying to book standard rate but the only standard rates that come up are for accessibility rooms. All others options are for premium rooms with 5 times the points. Should I go ahead and just book the accessibility room? The website prompts me to select a different room if I do not need the accessibility features, which I don't. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
The consensus is that you can book the standard rate accessible room and add a note that you don't need an accessible room and would like to be moved. That seems to work for the many that have faced this when booking.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dracarys
The consensus is that you can book the standard rate accessible room and add a note that you don't need an accessible room and would like to be moved. That seems to work for the many that have faced this when booking.
I have definitely done that before. Just be prepared to get an accessible room in the end if this is all the hotel has available.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Originally Posted by cfischer
I have definitely done that before. Just be prepared to get an accessible room in the end if this is all the hotel has available.
Excellent point! I neglected to add that to my reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.