Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
There's nothing wrong with booking a base level accessible room when a hotel is essentially sold out of all regular rooms. Just put a note in the comment that you do not need accessible and just need whatever bed configuration you are wanting. There should also be a box that say "the room I wanted was not available" on the booking page.

If you feel bad about it, just check back every once in a while to see if any regular rooms open up that you can switch your booking to.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:26 pm

If someone actually requested the accessible room and they don't have one because you took the last one, then they would have to upgrade you to a premium room don't they?

I recently reserved an accessible room because all the standard non-smoking rooms were gone except for this one. I rather take the non-smoking accessible room than any smoking room including a suite.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:37 pm

it's fine to book the accessible room if/when it's the last room available of the room type you are wanting. Just put in the comments section that the handicap room is not needed if another room of same room type and non smoking becomes available.

This way, the hotel will know, upon check in, that you do not have to have the handicap room.^
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ht=handicapped
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Need
If someone actually requested the accessible room and they don't have one because you took the last one, then they would have to upgrade you to a premium room don't they?
No, they don't. They could just say sorry, no more accessible rooms, they are all booked up.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:12 am

Looking into Hilton's accessible rooms policy, I found this

http://www.ada.gov/hilton/hilton_factsht.htm
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Need
Looking into Hilton's accessible rooms policy, I found this

http://www.ada.gov/hilton/hilton_factsht.htm
Of note:

Reservations Policy to Ensure Availability of Accessible Rooms: HWI will institute a reservations policy for accessible guest rooms that will hold open two non-premium accessible guest rooms as the last rooms sold at each hotel;
So that means that a person who _requires_ an accessible room should be able to get it unless the whole property is sold out.

I've booked them before in the past because they were the only rooms available.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by keeton
Of note:

So that means that a person who _requires_ an accessible room should be able to get it unless the whole property is sold out.

I've booked them before in the past because they were the only rooms available.
Book them many times as they are fewer points and or the only rooms available.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I am hearing impaired, so I book them without blinking an eye if that is all that is available. I don't use the hearing impaired stuff, but if I need it I have it.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:20 am

Booking Accessible Room Cheaper?

All,

I am looking at booking a London Hilton for mid-august and when using the PR11PN code it comes up with the cheapest rate in a Queen accessible room. The standard queen guest room is ~20 euro's more a night. I don't need an accessible room and it even pops up a box to verify you are booking a accessible room and if you don't need it then to book a different room. Problem is i don't want to spend an extra 20 euro's a night obviously. Should i book it and then send an email to the hotel advising them of the situation? I am a GOLD member so was hoping for an upgrade to Exec level anyways but don't want to take a room for someone who may actually need it.

Thanks,
Justin
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:19 pm

I was in the same situation for another hotel I booked. With that the price difference was about $30 or so per night less. I ended up taking the more expensive rate... I've read about some people putting a comment that they don't need it and feeling fine about that. Other people get highly upset at people who take those kinds of rooms but don't need it. I guess it's up to you and your moral code .
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by AnthonyF1227
I was in the same situation for another hotel I booked. With that the price difference was about $30 or so per night less. I ended up taking the more expensive rate... I've read about some people putting a comment that they don't need it and feeling fine about that. Other people get highly upset at people who take those kinds of rooms but don't need it. I guess it's up to you and your moral code .
+1
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
And sometimes you get assigned an accessible room even if you didn't reserve or need one. I'd probably start by calling the hotel and asking why the price difference. Maybe they have an excess of accessible rooms available and they are trying to get people to book them by offering them for less. Or you could just jump to conclusions and assume booking one would imply some moral failure on your part.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:48 pm

I've worked in both a corporate-owned/operated chain hotel and an independent hotel. No one I've ever worked with would think badly about someone who books the lowest available rate. Think of it this way: Virtually all Front Desk and Reservations staff are hourly employees. That $30/night represents two or more extra hours work.

The number of accessible rooms for each hotel is set by law, not by need. That fact means that on most nights, there will be more available accessible rooms than needed.

Of the 11 years I worked at those two hotels, 9 where spent in Front Office positions (Front Desk, Reservations, Revenue Manager, Night Manager). I can only recall one time in which an arriving guest needed an accessible room but hadn't alerted us ahead of time. I was Revenue Manager at the time. The Front Desk employee came to me in a panic because there were no accessible rooms in the system. I went to check the arrivals and saw that a guest in an accessible room had placed a note saying he or she didn't need it. Problem solved in under 2 minutes.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
The number of accessible rooms for each hotel is set by law, not by need. That fact means that on most nights, there will be more available accessible rooms than needed.
Book it, Dano

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.